Pressley post Match interview (1 Viewer)

Jackoskyblue

Coventry City manager Steven Pressley praised his 'young back-four' after the impressive 2-0 win over Midlands rivals Walsall.

The Sky Blues secured three points at the Bescot Stadium in front of 1772 City fans and climbed the League One table up to 16th.

Jim O'Brien scored an incredible 30-yard strike in the fifth minute before Marcus Tudgay sealed the victory with a header four minutes from time.

The City boss praised his defence after the win over Saddlers having only concede four goal in the last eight League One games.

Pressley said: "I thought we were outstanding today. We performed in a manner which I expect from my sides and it was great to see.

"A lot of credit has to go to our young back-four who performed brilliantly to keep our fifth clean sheet in eight games and we've now only conceded four goals in eight. A fantastic record.

"It gives us a really good foundation to build from. We had quite a bit to contend with before the game with Gary Madine and Aaron Martin out, and Andy Webster withdrew just before the game.

"The players didn't let it get to them. I have to give a big mention to Aaron Phillips who, with very little training time under his belt recently due to injury, performed brilliantly. He gave everything to the team today."

City now have to wait 10 days for their next game against Swindon Town and the Sky Blues boss wants to see his side build some momentum.

He added: "You can always work on the tactics but it is up to the players to apply them on a match-day. We did that and we needed that to show how good we can be.

"As I said leading up to the game this week, this game will show us where our season will go. Either get momentum and push up the league, or battle in the bottom half.

"We've come through a challenging period but picked up some decent results. It gives us something to build on now.

"We've got to use this result to push on with now. I think this result shows the group how good we can be and they need to take confidence from what was a proper Coventry City performance."

Read more at http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/...city-walsall-2179868.aspx#2ESX7IEi3VLCxQsZ.99

Jackoskyblue

Agree with everything he says excellent performance and we can push on now. One thing I hate is this "Coventry way" or "Coventry performance" has he ever said what that is or what he means ? But that aside got his tactics spot on today

Nonleagueherewecome

Agree with everything he says excellent performance and we can push on now. One thing I hate is this "Coventry way" or "Coventry performance" has he ever said what that is or what he means ? But that aside got his tactics spot on today

I've always assumed that his "Coventry way" and talking about a "Coventry performance" was to do with the atmosphere and attitude that the club had become known for over the last decade. The "it's just Coventry, innit?" thing of players going through the motions and just picking up their paycheque. We'd become a byword in the game for complacency and apathy, a bit of a joke. He mentioned this a lot at the Trust forum at the start of his first full season. I think it was that which used to drive Clinton Morrrison so crazy about his team-mates!

He spoke a lot in his early days about maximum effort and hard-work. In terms of how that was expressed on the pitch, a high pressing game was part of it-then you add his short-passing, patient game to the "footballing philosophy" bit. Finally, the "joined up thinking" of having the youth side closely linked to the first team, playing the same style/formations, etc. Cynics hat on: IRL it's meant the youth team needing to play in the first team due to lack of alternatives..

Also, "a Coventry performance" means "we are a big club and need to start punching our weight, ie, winning the odd game" ;)

Regarding the youth side playing the same formation, that doesn't really work when your first team completely changes formation three times a season, does it? Long-term vision can also turn into inflexibility...

Last edited:

Otis

Coventry City manager Steven Pressley praised his 'young back-four' after the impressive 2-0 win over Midlands rivals Walsall.

The Sky Blues secured three points at the Bescot Stadium in front of 1772 City fans and climbed the League One table up to 16th.

Jim O'Brien scored an incredible 30-yard strike in the fifth minute before Marcus Tudgay sealed the victory with a header four minutes from time.

The City boss praised his defence after the win over Saddlers having only concede four goal in the last eight League One games.

Pressley said: "I thought we were outstanding today. We performed in a manner which I expect from my sides and it was great to see.

"A lot of credit has to go to our young back-four who performed brilliantly to keep our fifth clean sheet in eight games and we've now only conceded four goals in eight. A fantastic record.

"It gives us a really good foundation to build from. We had quite a bit to contend with before the game with Gary Madine and Aaron Martin out, and Andy Webster withdrew just before the game.

"The players didn't let it get to them. I have to give a big mention to Aaron Phillips who, with very little training time under his belt recently due to injury, performed brilliantly. He gave everything to the team today."

City now have to wait 10 days for their next game against Swindon Town and the Sky Blues boss wants to see his side build some momentum.

He added: "You can always work on the tactics but it is up to the players to apply them on a match-day. We did that and we needed that to show how good we can be.

"As I said leading up to the game this week, this game will show us where our season will go. Either get momentum and push up the league, or battle in the bottom half.

"We've come through a challenging period but picked up some decent results. It gives us something to build on now.

"We've got to use this result to push on with now. I think this result shows the group how good we can be and they need to take confidence from what was a proper Coventry City performance."

Read more at http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/...city-walsall-2179868.aspx#2ESX7IEi3VLCxQsZ.99

I think this result shows how inconsistent we can be.

sky_blue_up_north

By far the best performance this season. We were excellent in the First half, although Walsall came out all guns blazing in the first part of the 2nd half our defence was outstanding. Pennington MOM for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gazolba

I think this result shows how inconsistent we can be.

But at least this week we were inconsistent in the right direction. Maybe we will show more inconsistency in the next game by being even better.

Otis

Dean Smith, Walsall manager: "We didn't deserve to lose, as you could tell you get a team like Coventry coming here and time-wasting for 45 minutes."

Firstly that doesn't even make sense, but secondly, what is he talking about?

Last edited:

Jackoskyblue

Dean Smith, Walsall manager: "We didn't deserve to lose, as you could tell you get a team like Coventry coming here and time-wasting for 45 minutes."

Firstly that doesn't even mae sense, but secondly, what is he talking about?

What a joke of a man! No idea what he's talking about we were at them all game always attacking just sounds like a bad loser to me. The only thing I can think he's referring to is that Allsop used the full amount of time he was allowed for his kicks. But there keeper didn't even know what a goal kick was and one of their lads was trying to fight so they wasted more time than us

Evo1883

Cant stand the bloke , but he was pretty much spot on about yesterdays performance

ccfcway

No idea what he's talking about

To be fair to him, here are the stats

Possession : Wallsall 50 : Coventry 50
Shots : Wallsall 16 : Coventry 8
On Target : Wallsall 6 : Coventry 6

I am ceratinly not saying he is right, but had we lost the game in Wallsall's position, I am sure Pressley would have said something similar

Jackoskyblue

I am ceratinly not saying he is right, but had we lost the game in Wallsall's position, I am sure Pressley would have said something similar

I'm very surprised at them stats I thought we had dominated all of them. But even so we were by far the better team had more quality possession they were unlucky to hit the post twice other than that can't think of much else they did

Evo1883

I find them stats hard to swallow tbh , i thought we had that many shots in about the forst 30 minutes , and i cant remember walsall having 16 shots at all , felt like 6-7 all game , maybe i had too much coffee lol

skybluegod

I think Bbc takes into account anything that the goalie touches or goes over the dead ball line. As In the first half It suggest that had had 8 shots 3 on target. And I only remember 1 save allsop had to make. Other than a couple of catches.

Warwickhunt

Firstly that doesn't even make sense, but secondly, what is he talking about?
And his fucking team came to the Ricoh and parked the bus and relied on break aways ,! The guy is as deluded as SP

Users who are viewing this thread