Pressley: League 1 survival would be 'unbelievable' (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Pete

Anyone thinking that next season will be better is completely deluded. There will be no investment in the playing squad and no wages. This will have been the best season for a while when we look back in a few tears if nothing changes in the ownership of our club

RoboCCFC90

Anyone thinking that next season will be better is completely deluded. There will be no investment in the playing squad and no wages. This will have been the best season for a while when we look back in a few tears if nothing changes in the ownership of our club

We can always hope.. Deep down people might fear that things can only get worse but hope is what keeps some fans going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edgy

Is this factual?

skybluetony176

Is this factual?

It's a good shout. I hope it's wrong but my fear is that if the current status quo off field and the direct effect this has on field means we will be in a bigger relegation battle next season than this.

But like I say, I hope I'm wrong.

Astute

Is this factual?

Approx 2,000 tickets @ approx £9 = £18,000 per "home" game. Approx £18,000 x 23 = Approx £414k per season. FFP = 60% so known income equates to about 250k in wages and transfers. 52 weeks in a year = approx 5k a week to put a squad together :facepalm:

So we will end up with all youth players or about £500 a week per player on the pitch and youth making up the rest of the squad.

Not factual yet as we don't know where we will be playing for sure. But if we are back in Northampton again next season yes very factual unless we get another Arsenal type of game at the start of the season.

Grendel

Approx 2,000 tickets @ approx £9 = £18,000 per "home" game. Approx £18,000 x 23 = Approx £414k per season. FFP = 60% so known income equates to about 250k in wages and transfers. 52 weeks in a year = approx 5k a week to put a squad together :facepalm:

So we will end up with all youth players or about £500 a week per player on the pitch and youth making up the rest of the squad.

Not factual yet as we don't know where we will be playing for sure. But if we are back in Northampton again next season yes very factual unless we get another Arsenal type of game at the start of the season.

More nonsense. Equity release will be injected.

M&B Stand

Is it just me who doesn't agree with this? Now I think Pressley's done a good job without much backing but I think regardless of the ten point deduction we should still be in a better position and not in a relegation battle. Or am I overestimating how good our squad is?

We've not been the same since the 94th minute equaliser at bratfud. The first halves at MK & Rotherham were about as bad as I've seen. Didn't go to Notts County though!!

Sky Blue Pete

Edgy - how do you see it panning out. Grendel is right equity can be released but it would have to be real money rather than a loan.
Astutes figures are actual aren't they?
Just use your eyes at the replacements for Leon and I think we don't need to be on either side of an argument to realise the likely future next season do we?

Last edited:

chiefdave

Someone needs to tell Pressley as he seems to be planning to move a lot of academy players into a small first team squad next year. Odd course of action if his playing budget isn't being cut.

Steve_75

When I first saw the headline, I thought it was going to be a story dug up from the start of the season. At that point, I thought it would be pretty unbelievable for us to stay up. But given the form over the first half of the season, there's no way he should be using that term in an interview now other than to describe how badly we've done in the 2nd half of the season.
I like Pressley and would like him to stay at the club long term (at least long term by CCFC standards anyway) but I wonder what would have happened if the season was the other way around and by Xmas, we were down the bottom, not knowing that things would suddenly change and we'd have fantastic form for the rest of the season?

ajsccfc

People who thought we'd do anything but sink without trace with our -10 start were similarly told they were deluded last summer. Nobody knows.

Astute

Why wasn't it done this season then? If it was done once Clarke was sold we would have been looking good for a promotion attempt. But all we were left with was a squad attempting to stay up and not to try and get us out of this division. The Clarke money wasn't used, even partially, to get a replacement in. They preferred to keep the money and risk relegation.

And you call the truth nonsense :laugh:

Spionkop

Astute is pretty spot on. Sisu have had years to prove us doubters wrong.
The Arsenal money wasn't used on the team. The Clarke money wasn't used on the team.
FFP will decimate an already below par team.
And all 35 miles away.

Last edited:

procdoc

Wow, an 'unbelievable' achievement staying up in League One. Thank you Sisu for setting the bar so high.

Astute

I'd certainly lean towards it being a bit of a shitter again, but it's still nice to have some hope left at the same time.

Hope that we are not in a relegation battle again next season you mean? ;)

ajsccfc

This doesn't really feel like a battle, we're more flirting with relegation this time out. Pressley shouldn't wear those sexy waistcoats and we'll be fine.

lewys33

I think considering the squad we have and the -10 imposed by the FL (despite calls from cc4l and others because they have obviously forgotten) avoiding relegation is a massive achievement for this year. I must admit I am worried for next season, but I was for this season so who knows? SP may pull the rabbit out the hat again!

rupert_bear

Lets get one thing straight Steve Pressley has pulled no rabbit out of any hat. Our squad at the beginning of the season was good enough to be if not the top 6 certainly the top half so the minus 10 points a pain in the ass yes but we were well equipt to overcome that and did so pretty quick. At Christmas we were well on course to achieve a good league position, since Christmas we have been abysmal to put it mildly. We have signed a procession of strikers none any good in my opinion and have the most suspect defence in our history. Okay i'll give Pressley next season on a better platform than this year but he has to produce a far better performance than this season. Steve Pressley is not the Messiah and is well under the microscope next season.

stupot07

Astute is pretty spot on. Sisu have had years to prove us doubters wrong.
The Arsenal money wasn't used on the team. The Clarke money wasn't used on the team.
FFP will decimate an already below par team.
And all 35 miles away.

The arsenal and Clarke money was used to fund operating costs and reduced losses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

chiefdave

The arsenal and Clarke money was used to fund operating costs and reduced losses

The Arsenal money would not have been budgeted for and its unlikely it was budgeted for Clarke to suddenly hit form and be worth a few quid. Are you saying that when SISU, prior to the start of the season, stated they would cover any drop in revenue due to lower attendances at Sixfields weren't being truthful and they have instead used the Arsenal and Clarke money to do this?

J

Jack Griffin

People who thought we'd do anything but sink without trace with our -10 start were similarly told they were deluded last summer. Nobody knows.

I thought we'd be flirting with relegation all season, but in fact the exceptional start provided a buffer that has kept that prospect at bay till recently, in the end though CCFC will only just scrape over the line.
Next season will be significantly harder despite not having the 10pts deduction, I expect the whole season will be spent in the bottom half of the table.

stupot07

The Arsenal money would not have been budgeted for and its unlikely it was budgeted for Clarke to suddenly hit form and be worth a few quid. Are you saying that when SISU, prior to the start of the season, stated they would cover any drop in revenue due to lower attendances at Sixfields weren't being truthful and they have instead used the Arsenal and Clarke money to do this?

No it wouldn't have been budgeted for, and yes sisu said they would cover any drop in revenue by moving to Sixfields however we lost £7m last season at the Ricoh whilst not paying the rent according to the SBS&L accounts, so if moving to to Northampton has made an additional £3m losses and sisu are funding that £3m extra then any extra and unexpected revenue can be used to meet that additional £7m (will be lower due to wage bill cut).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Skyblueweeman

Astute - whilst that all looks pretty correct in terms of your figures, you know that ticket sales isn't our only income stream, right?

Also, even if 'additional streams' didn't produce much more, our budget is probably still decent when compared to other clubs. Not every player is going to be earning 'mega-bucks' in League One. We've managed to get high earners of the wage bill over the past 5 yeards and replaced them with cheaper options. It wouldn't surprise me if a few people on here were on better money than some of our first team squad.

WM

Brighton Sky Blue

Astute - whilst that all looks pretty correct in terms of your figures, you know that ticket sales isn't our only income stream, right?

Also, even if 'additional streams' didn't produce much more, our budget is probably still decent when compared to other clubs. Not every player is going to be earning 'mega-bucks' in League One. We've managed to get high earners of the wage bill over the past 5 yeards and replaced them with cheaper options. It wouldn't surprise me if a few people on here were on better money than some of our first team squad.

WM

We have the smallest crowds in the league and almost no sponsorship.

lewys33

Lets get one thing straight Steve Pressley has pulled no rabbit out of any hat. Our squad at the beginning of the season was good enough to be if not the top 6 certainly the top half so the minus 10 points a pain in the ass yes but we were well equipt to overcome that and did so pretty quick. At Christmas we were well on course to achieve a good league position, since Christmas we have been abysmal to put it mildly. We have signed a procession of strikers none any good in my opinion and have the most suspect defence in our history. Okay i'll give Pressley next season on a better platform than this year but he has to produce a far better performance than this season. Steve Pressley is not the Messiah and is well under the microscope next season.

So we should have been in the Top 6 despite having the most suspect defence in our history?! :thinking about:

We sold 1 player and results went down the drain. Would you put that down to the 1 player, or the lack of squad depth due to injury? Is this all Pressley's fault?

Our TEAM was only good enough to be top 6 at full strength at the start of the season. The 2 strikers we had were brilliant together and made up for the downfall of the defence. 1 or 2 players down and the small squad showed its flaws. I admit Pressley hasn't done so well in the loan signings, however can we really comment when we dont know what resources he has been given/the details of the rent deals?

mrbluesky87

Only those burying their heads in the sand realise that if nothing changes in the summer we are in the shit next. I dont buy this releasing equity crap will keep us afloat, facts are we have the lowest gates in the league, hardly any sponsorships (decent ones at that) and from what I can sense merchandise sales havent gone to well over the course of the season either.

I said at the start of this season we would be relegated and i'm wrong (albeit only avoided by the skin of our teeth) but I will enter the streaking contest next year if we avoid relegation on the premise of nothing changing pre season.

Skyblueweeman

We have the smallest crowds in the league and almost no sponsorship.

I don't dispute that BSB, what I'm saying is that there is other revenue streams of income, regardless of value. See this thread by OSB. Like Astute (and anything you or I could propose), it's all conjecture.

http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/43371-Next-seasons-finance?highlight=Accounts

OSBs rough maths/predictions show a projected wage budget of £2.25m. Let's say that's even halved for the next season (which would be more drastic than anyone could imagine), that would still leave £21.6k per week for wages, a lot more than Astute suggested.

My point is that I know as much as you. OSB knows as much as Astute. We can all chuck figures around but two posts from respected posters both have weekly wage estimates for next season at vastly different figures.

No one knows. It is bleak, I do know that. But to second guess how we're going to fair with FFP and continued loss of income is potentially a waste of time when none of us know the exact figures of all outgoings and incomings.

WM

Users who are viewing this thread