Premier League left-back? (4 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
In the telegraph today about a Premier League left back with the pace of Haynes but defensive quality of Stokes.

I can't see him being brought in to sit on the bench, so I guess Stokes would be one of the centre halves in the formation we played the last few games.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...news/coventry-city-boss-tony-mowbray-11340608

Stokes might struggle to play the Left Wing Back position if he carries on with that formation.

SkyBlueJord

Further down in the article, TM mentions that he was trialling the formation of 3-5-2, with Stokes as the left centre-back and Haynes as the wing back, so I'd assume this Premier League left-back would replace Haynes as wing back?

Nick

Administrator
Stokes was injured so Ricketts then Hunt were playing Wing back, in which case Stokes would stay back and be a centre half and let the Premier League guy do the wing back role.

Last edited:

ccfclinney

This scares me a bit, Not the new player coming in but the fact we might play 3-5-2 regular, i remember a certain steven pressley playing this formation and it going horribly wrong, just hope mowbray gets the right personal in to play it !

SBAndy

We didn't play 3-5-2, and we won't. It'll be a 3-4-3 like it was at the back end of the season.

torchomatic

Haynes in the team. Now that scares me.

SkyBlueJord

“We didn’t play it as a stereotypical 3-5-2, we spread the pitch a little bit more so Stokesy could play left centre-half in that system or as a left wing-back, and Ryan could be a left wing-back.”

I was referring to this section of the article, where Mowbray was talking theoretically how the players would fit into that system

torchomatic

Stokes was our best central defender last season

I think he was our best defender in any position. We couldn't get the right-back position right. Ricketts certainly didn't impress and Aaron Martin who DID, has now left the building.

I like Jordan Willis but I'm worried we are pinning our hopes on him a little too much.

Captain Dart

I thought right back was more of an issue than LB. The Lorenzen experiment failed, is the plan to put Vincelot at RB?

Shakeitup

I thought right back was more of an issue than LB. The Lorenzen experiment failed, is the plan to put Vincelot at RB?

Right back is certainly needed. I know he might get offered some good players, but I hope he prioritizes positions where we are weak!

FRY-CCFC

I like the 3-5-2 formation at this level as long as you get the players needed to implement it like Bristol City had.

skybluegod

Think this would be a good idea, if it's the case. I like 3-5-2 think it gives solidity at the back while you are able to still throw men forward in numbers. What would worry me though, is if we were going to go 3 at the back, need at least 3 new CB's?

Assuming Stokes is utilised as a CB, still need a beast type CB, and a ball player. Then another CB for cover along with Ricketts.
How would Willis be used in this formation? Surely not as the RWB? would he be the RCB? If so not sure I would be confident with two full backs playing as CB's?

Yayyy the joys of pre-season. Lets just wait and see.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

If we are going to utilise 3-5-2, letting Martin go surprises me even more. I get that he’s not the ‘beast-like’ centre half Mowbray craves, but I’m certain he would be have been a solid component of a back 3.

SBAndy

How would Willis be used in this formation? Surely not as the RWB? would he be the RCB? If so not sure I would be confident with two full backs playing as CB's?

But Willis isn't really a full back. In fact I'd quite like Willis as RCB in a 3-4-3 as he will know how to defend in wide areas.

skybluegod

But Willis isn't really a full back. In fact I'd quite like Willis as RCB in a 3-4-3 as he will know how to defend in wide areas.

So you'd be happy with Stokes Willis and another as CB 3?
I like Willis, but he doesn't win enough headers. As a defensive RB i think he is good. But I don't like the idea of him and stokes in a back 3. One of them fine, but not both.

Hobo

This scares me a bit, Not the new player coming in but the fact we might play 3-5-2 regular, i remember a certain steven pressley playing this formation and it going horribly wrong, just hope mowbray gets the right personal in to play it !

There is nothing wrong with this formation. But like any formation you need the players to play it. Leicester won the Premier League because 4-4-2 suited their personnel, not because it was the best formation. The players available matched against the opposition should dictate the formation.

Nick

Administrator
There is nothing wrong with this formation. But like any formation you need the players to play it. Lwceister won the Premier League because 4-4-2 because it suited their personnel, not because it was the best formation. The players available matched against the opposition should dictate the formation.

Exactly, it is pointless playing a formation because it was seen working in the World Cup without the same players to play it.

Hobo

Exactly, it is pointless playing a formation because it was seen working in the World Cup without the same players to play it.
Or it suited the players but they were not good enough against the opposition they had?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
If we were to play 3 at the back, could it be Stokes on the left side, Willis on the right and a brute of a summer signing in the middle? Would that be a good set up?

Certainly know Stokes is up to it, Inrate Willis as a CB over a RB, and an experienced player in the mound of Turner between them! Interesting.......

dongonzalos

Stokes is a good defensive LB at league one level but a poor attacking LB.
However he is very good Left CB at league one level.

Shakeitup

Do you
Stokes is a good defensive LB at league one level but a poor attacking LB.
However he is very good Left CB at league one level.
do you think it's too late for him to learn the attacking side? I know it's what TM has been hinting at with his comments about a Haynes/Stokes player being a perfect wing back.

Users who are viewing this thread