Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Defence

Votes: 35 40.7%
  • Goalkeeper

Votes: 38 44.2%

• Total voters

Sky Blue Pete

It’s interesting isn’t it?
We stayed up with points to spare but when you look you have to say without any loans back from this year we really do need to upgrade as a priority

Keeper
Defence
Midfield
Attack

Priority for me is cb

skybluetony176

Got to be either at the back or up front. Look at the final table and we’ve conceded too many and not scored enough. Get either one of those right and based on this season we’ll be a comfortable mid table team.

Adge

Keeper is a priority followed by another striker.
Interestingly, Wayne Hennessy been released by Palace hasn’t he-wages obviously an issue but decent experience and only 34 still.

slowpoke

He might might be, giving Wilson a contract doesn’t guarantee him the bench or more I reckon another keeper will be signed and Marosi moved on
Big season for Billson at 21 needs to make his mark

Liquid Gold

GK is first priority. Without the errors from our keepers we'd have been 5-10 points better off anyway and that can be fixed with 1 player.
CB next. LCB in particular as we need a left footer to stop us slowing things down and going back inside, need to replace Osti too so that's two players
LWB third, we only have 1 and he's 20
AM next, we can't just have O'Hare taking on all the workload, if he gets injured we're screwed.
ST finally, Godden and Walker will score goals if fit, would be good to have someone else contributing

Offhegoes

Goalkeeper - With Wilson as No 2
Centre Back (Left Footed) - and along with Drysdale we should have good competition there,
Left Wing Back - If Sam doesn't come back of course
Attacking Midfield - Competition for O'Hare
Striker - A proper big, physical No 9, that Godden or Walker can play off.

Mucca Mad Boys

With losing Ostigard and McCallum after their loans, this is the most obvious area of improvement for me.

Rose did show signs in his last couple of appearances like he can compete in the Championship.

We do need to help in all areas of the pitch though.

Liquid Gold

With losing Ostigard and McCallum after their loans, this is the most obvious area of improvement for me.

Rose did show signs in his last couple of appearances like he can compete in the Championship.

We do need to help in all areas of the pitch though.
I think Hyam and a fit Rose would be good competition for RCB, we need a starting LCB and a prospect to back them up then someone to replace/challenge Fadz. If we magically signed Osti then I see him as the long term fit in the middle.

JulianDarbyFTW

I see that I'm the only one who's gone for midfield so far, but imho we're not exactly blessed there right now - O'Hare as the only performing CAM, so one injury away from having no-one we can rely on to play that role. And we have Kelly, Hamer, and Eccles as confirmed in central midfield (Sheaf as well, assuming reports of him signing are correct), which doesn't scream strength in depth. The 'filler' players from this season like Shipley and Allen haven't proven that they can perform at this standard, so despite us having enough numbers I just don't think we have enough quality.

Liquid Gold

I see that I'm the only one who's gone for midfield so far, but imho we're not exactly blessed there right now - O'Hare as the only performing CAM, so one injury away from having no-one we can rely on to play that role. And we have Kelly, Hamer, and Eccles as confirmed in central midfield (Sheaf as well, assuming reports of him signing are correct), which doesn't scream strength in depth. The 'filler' players from this season like Shipley and Allen haven't proven that they can perform at this standard, so despite us having enough numbers I just don't think we have enough quality.
As things stand (assuming Sheaf joins) then we can start a midfield of:
Sheaf - Kelly - Hamer
---------O'Hare

These all played significant minutes this season and are of a good age, we also have Allen and Shipley as backups

Whereas in goal we have Wilson or Marosi, neither of which appeared to be up for it

In defence we only have:
Rose - McFadzean - Hyam

One of those has been out most of the season, one at the twilight of his career and one been inconsistent playing on his weaker side. The only backup to this is Pask, who is about as capable as Allen and Shipley, and Drysdale, who has just finished the season in L2.

SBT

We stayed up comfortably with two crap keepers, why would GK be the priority in the summer? Meanwhile, Ostigard and McCallum have gone and we still don't have a CB with a working left foot. A new keeper isn't going to make much difference if he has a back three of Rose-McFadz-Hyam in front of him all year.

Ccfcisparks

We stayed up comfortably with two crap keepers, why would GK be the priority in the summer? Meanwhile, Ostigard and McCallum have gone and we still don't have a CB with a working left foot. A new keeper isn't going to make much difference if he has a back three of Rose-McFadz-Hyam in front of him all year.
Is this a wind up? The keepers last year cost us 10-15 points themselves. Its obvious we need to improve there.

SBT

Is this a wind up? The keepers last year cost us 10-15 points themselves. Its obvious we need to improve there.

I think the importance of the GK position at this level is overplayed (case in point: we started Ben Wilson in goal for most of last season and still stayed up)

Clearly we'd like someone better there, but it can hardly be the priority when it didn't torpedo us last season, and there are other areas of the pitch where things have clearly deteriorated. Even the Great God Stockdale himself (pbuh) won't earn us many points if he has to rely on our current crop of defenders.

Sick Boy

I think the importance of the GK position at this level is overplayed (case in point: we started Ben Wilson in goal for most of last season and still stayed up)

Clearly we'd like someone better there, but it can hardly be the priority when it didn't torpedo us last season, and there are other areas of the pitch where things have clearly deteriorated. Even the Great God Stockdale himself (pbuh) won't earn us many points if he has to rely on our current crop of defenders.
In that case we may as have just kept Burge.

mds

Defence\keeper.
Stop the opposition from scoring is a guaranteed point no matter how poor the rest of your team is.
A poor striker not scoring versus a poor defence making mistakes and conceding lots of goals.............lol

fatso

Sign all the loans from last season, then just add a keeper, attacking midfielder and a striker.
And a top quality doctor.

Hobo

We have two strikers who can score goals when fit, also the lad from Brighton showed lots of promise after getting match fit.

Keeper , centre half and LWB because our season was hampered by giving away cheap goals especially penalties.

I would like an attacking mid next to give O'Hare competition and cover.

20 goal striker last. Like rocking horse shit and if they get injured you struggle. Always been a fan of everyone defends and everyone attacks. Any position is entitled to score... spread the goals across the team. Harder to defend and you arent dependant on just one or two players for goals.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Always been a fan of everyone defends and everyone attacks. Any position is entitled to score... spread the goals across the team. Harder to defend and you arent dependant on just one or two players for goals.

I've become more of the thinking goal and clean sheet bonuses should be handed out to the whole team rather than just the player that scores or to the defenders/keeper to reflect it's a team game along with win bonuses etc.. Also clean sheets should be a higher reward because you can only get one per match and are harder to get plus it prevents the team going gung-ho for multiple goal bonuses. Of course if you concede early it encourages them to push forward.

Frostie

I've become more of the thinking goal and clean sheet bonuses should be handed out to the whole team rather than just the player that scores or to the defenders/keeper to reflect it's a team game along with win bonuses etc.. Also clean sheets should be a higher reward because you can only get one per match and are harder to get plus it prevents the team going gung-ho for multiple goal bonuses. Of course if you concede early it encourages them to push forward.

I wouldn't be totally surprised by that or even having players negotiate xG & xA bonuses too. We already have players like De Bruyne using an analytics company rather than an agent to help him negotiate his new contract.

Users who are viewing this thread