Pre season Tour......of Ireland (or just Dublin) (1 Viewer)

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Well it's not exactly Lake Garda, but as I didn't get there last year I don't mind.

Never been to Ireland, and although it's not somewhere I've wanted to go to for the football, I wouldn't complain if they can get this sorted.

And it's a bit more local, so perhaps an increase in fans following?

Coventry City looking to arrange pre-season tour of Ireland

By Andy Turner | 23/06/15

Coventry City are trying to arrange a pre-season tour in Ireland.

Sky Blues boss Tony Mowbray had been aiming to take his squad to Slovenia next month but that fell through and the club have switched their attention to Dublin where they hope to fix up friendlies against local sides including Shamrock Rovers and Shelbourne.

“We’ve been working on Ireland where we feel we could play some good games,” revealed the City manager, who has provisionally settled on a trip between City’s opening pre-season friendly against Nuneaton Town on July 11 and their fixture at Luton Town on Saturday, July 25

Coventry City manager Tony Mowbray

“Shelbourne has been talked about and they’re playing at the moment.

"When you play the Irish teams they are always competitive because they don’t like losing to the English teams, so they are really tough games so early in the pre-season.

“We are just trying to put that together. If it works, it works – if it doesn’t then we will get on at Ryton and make it work and be ready for the new season.”

Story Link Nick Proschwitz training with Kaiserslautern - but Coventry City boss still confident of keeping striker

The trip could hinge on whether the Irish clubs can fit friendlies in due to existing commitments with domestic and European qualifiers.

Shamrock are currently third in the Irish Premier League and have been drawn against Luxembourg outfit Progres Niederkorn in the first qualifying round of the Europa League between July 2 and 9.

Pictures from last year's camp in Italy

“We are looking at Dublin-based teams but it might fall through because of existing fixtures,” said Mowbray.

“But it would be nice to do because the fans like to come and watch the English teams in action and Coventry has still got quite a big name out there.”

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...entry-city-looking-arrange-pre-season-9506968

Shared by the Coventry Telegraph App

iOS: http://smarturl.it/CoventryTelegraph

Android: http://bit.ly/coventrytelegraphandroid

chiefdave

Makes sense. Allows them to go away and do some team bonding without scratching around for teams to play or spending a fortune.

Should also be pretty easy, and relatively cheap, for anyone that fancies going to watch them.

Astute

Anywhere but Ireland :(

There are two places that the wife wants to go with me. They are Ireland and the Isle of Man. I have most of the next two months off work. Going away with the wife for the first two weeks of July. She is too late to get time off in the school summer holidays. She would go mental if I go to Ireland without her. Might be able to get a weekend there with her. Will have to see.

I suppose I could always take her to Nuneaton :D

Terry Gibson's perm

Anywhere but Ireland :(

There are two places that the wife wants to go with me. They are Ireland and the Isle of Man. I have most of the next two months off work. Going away with the wife for the first two weeks of July. She is too late to get time off in the school summer holidays. She would go mental if I go to Ireland without her. Might be able to get a weekend there with her. Will have to see.

I suppose I could always take her to Nuneaton :D

the Isle of Man is very drab place I thought a bit like a down market Blackpool.

take her to Jersey or Guernsey much nicer places.

Astute

I have one holiday a year with her then we both have holidays apart. It works well. This is how I know about Ireland and the Isle of Man. I wanted to go to both without her. I got told no unless she was with me :(

Terry Gibson's perm

I have one holiday a year with her then we both have holidays apart. It works well. This is how I know about Ireland and the Isle of Man. I wanted to go to both without her. I got told no unless she was with me :(

Sounds perfect to me holidays apart might try that but she would say yes but I have to take the kids

Harry Krishner

Shelbourne's ground about a 25 minute walk from where I work.

Tallaght Stadium for Shamrock Rovers is on the Luas red line from central Dublin.

It'd be great.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
It'd be great for the lads, to be sure! Us Paddy's would give them a rousing welcome! Dublin and Cork - two of the best places to visit in Ireland! Wish I was going! (Whether they're playing in Cork or not, it'd be an excuse to visit family!)

duffer

I went on what was (I think) the last pre-season to Ireland. Just after relegation, and just before Hartson left...

From memory we played Bray, UCD and one or two others. Always a good place to visit, if this comes off I might try to wangle a trip over. :)

torchomatic

Hardly the end of the world, is it?

Hobo

It's cancelled and the same day it is announced we buy someone with a fee attached.

Users who are viewing this thread