possible lineups/formations - thread can evole as people come/go. (1 Viewer)

skyblueelephant

My main concern is that our squad is currently far too short. Sheff, Baker, Bell, Deegan, Bigi, Fleck, Elliot, McDonald - all under 6ft. Thomas is currently the only player outside the defence with any height. Signing Kilbane would be a start to address this but with the current squad unless we play like Barcelona we are going to get bullied out of a lot of games in League One.

kg82

My main concern is that our squad is currently far too short. Sheff, Baker, Bell, Deegan, Bigi, Fleck, Elliot, McDonald - all under 6ft. Thomas is currently the only player outside the defence with any height. Signing Kilbane would be a start to address this but with the current squad unless we play like Barcelona we are going to get bullied out of a lot of games in League One.

There's a difference between being bullied out of games and being short! You can still be short and strong

skyblueelephant

May be bullied was the wrong word. I still think the height of the team is a major concern and we still need a target man and at least someone like Kilbane to give us more of an aerial presence.

skybluesalex

Murphy

Clarke
Wood
Willis
Huss

Baker
Bigi
Fleck
Sheff

Elliot
Cody Mac

I have left Deegs as i am not sure weather there will be further action after his suspension if he is brought back him ahead of Bigi

Murphy

Christie Keogh Cameron Hussey

Deegan/Bigi

Baker McSheffrey

Fleck

Cody Elliot

I don't know wether that team would get us out of league 1, but I am not too confident about it!

covcity4life

really? you dont think baker can score goals like he did for stockport? when he has confidence hes a good dribbler too

fleck should start well at least and has skill to be awesome in this league

mcsheffrey got 9-10 last year,now hes in a easier league(and whuilst i respect it and know its not a given we will win loads we must realise that IT IS of less quality) so should score even more

cody-i have no dobuts about him banging 15 plus

we were good defeinsvily last year so that back 4 you list sohuld be fine in lower league than championship

im not being blindly optimistic just trying to guage why some people think that sort of team will fail?

kg82

I really think Elliot is going to be a back up striker. I'll be expecting someone else in.

kg82

From o'Donovans comments last year you'd think the same! I just don't think he'll be first choice but he may still have a big role to play.

And people don't think we're going to do that well next year because they're overestimating this league and thinking the whole league will be like the championship, which its not!

stupot07

really? you dont think baker can score goals like he did for stockport? when he has confidence hes a good dribbler too

fleck should start well at least and has skill to be awesome in this league

mcsheffrey got 9-10 last year,now hes in a easier league(and whuilst i respect it and know its not a given we will win loads we must realise that IT IS of less quality) so should score even more

cody-i have no dobuts about him banging 15 plus

we were good defeinsvily last year so that back 4 you list sohuld be fine in lower league than championship

im not being blindly optimistic just trying to guage why some people think that sort of team will fail?

It all depends on what positions they play, if we're playing a diamond, only 1 of Sheff, fleck or baker will play in the hole. If its fleck or sheffers, then baker will be playing deeper - he won't score half the amount of goals he did at Stockport playing deeper, the same applies if he's out wide right. At Stockport he played behind the striker in a free role - if we play him like that he may get goals - but then where are sticking sheffers and fleck.

So what I'm saying is it's not as easy as saying x scored so many in that league etc. Stockport build the team around him, he won't be afforded that here.

SkyBluePryce

looking at the possible teams is making me feel a little optimistic! a few more signings to add depth and further quality and a big ask of keeping keogh- could make us a very strong side next year :)

Stevec189

Isn't it good to be talking football?

I think we just need some cover. It is a lot to ask Thomas, Bigi, Christie to play allseason - they are very young still. I think we are going to paly 4-4-2 with wide players when fit and the diamond when Sheffers Baker not avaialble to play that way. PUSB!

mark82

Does anyone have David Bell in their first team? He would be an automatic first choice for most teams in this league.

Diehard Si

IMO Kilbane will sign so this is how I see it...

_______________Murphy

Christie___Cameron___Wood___Hussey

__________Kilbane____Thomas

Elliott_________Fleck_______McSheffrey

____________McDonald

The beauty of that formation being that McSheffrey, Fleck and Elliott can all interchange.

Yes I like this better than my suggestion.

You just know AT will play diamond though, that's the problem.

S

SkyBlue Baker96

AT said he wanted a different formation to the diamond i thought? in a interview after we got relegated? if we get a couple more players in i see a variety of formations that could be played, mainly attacking ones like 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-1-2 these two would fit perfectly for fleck and elliot imo

thechase

Playing 9 friendlies will at least allow Thorn to experiment with different formations. The 4-2-3-1 seems reasonable. At least we now have potential for options from the bench.

covcity4life

for me

1st option

-------------------murphy-----------------------
-------------------------------------------------
clarke------keogh--------wood------------hussey
-------------------brigimama---------------------
---------deegan---------------baker-------------
-------------------fleck--------------------------
--------elliott---------macdonald-----------------

2nd option

---------------------murphy------------------------
christie--------cameron------willis----------hussey
--------------------------------------------------
------------thomas--------deegan----------------
bell-------------------------------------mcsheffrey
-----------------------------elliott----------------
------------macdonald----------------------------

ive rotated players just to guage strength in depth btw,all players can play the systems of course.

so far im confident thats a top 6 minimum team,but still ? over players leaving

kilbane has signed as i expected so can play him left mid,left back or in middle,good options

S

SkyBlue Baker96

if we kept Keogh, i'd take the back four out of the first option you have given and use the formation in the second option replace deegan with kilbane and put fleck/baker ( if he finds good form) instead of bell, if macca needs a rest etc, put elliot out wide left and fleck behind cody ?

covcity4life

if we kept Keogh, i'd take the back four out of the first option you have given and use the formation in the second option replace deegan with kilbane and put fleck/baker ( if he finds good form) instead of bell, if macca needs a rest etc, put elliot out wide left and fleck behind cody ?

nice ideas...nice to have some options ey? now no excuses from thorn, he has options in midfield/upfront, now he must use them...if diamond works great,if not dont moan about needing new personal for different formations

still big ? over keogh though...id turn down 1m myself,with him we will win this frikken league,hes a rock at back,no league one striker will do him over.

S

SkyBlue Baker96

yeah seems good we can afford for the players to fight for their places, i don't think thorn will play the diamond much next season , personally 4-2-3-1 will suit us because of fleck and elliot and macca, i wouldn't let keogh go at all if possible your right but if we can keep him and bring in another centre back it will be good, don't see him staying :( but hopefully thorn has replacements because we will need them to have a solid back four in this league if e want to get promoted

stupot07

nice ideas...nice to have some options ey? now no excuses from thorn, he has options in midfield/upfront, now he must use them...if diamond works great,if not dont moan about needing new personal for different formations

still big ? over keogh though...id turn down 1m myself,with him we will win this frikken league,hes a rock at back,no league one striker will do him over.

There still isn't that many options though - Christies out until Xmas, what if Clarke gets injured? Willis a kid who's made 3 appearances.

Proper recognised CM's - two 18 year olds and Deegan.

We have 3 first team CB's including keogh.

We have Cody and Elliot up front, can we really say RODs proven because of one 15 game spell in his entire English football career?

At this point in time, we're still too light on numbers and quality.

Baginton

My starting XI

....................MURPHY.................
CLARKE--KEOGH--WOOD--KILBANE
BELL----BIGI----FLECK---McSHEFFERY
---------ELLIOTT--McDONALD------

Subs: DUNN--BAKER--HUSSEY--JEFFERS--DEEGAN
Christie, Cameron, Thomas, O'Donovan
Burge, Philips, Willis, Henderson, Ruffles, Roberts, Daniels, Wilson.

covcity4life

There still isn't that many options though - Christies out until Xmas, what if Clarke gets injured? Willis a kid who's made 3 appearances.

Proper recognised CM's - two 18 year olds and Deegan.

We have 3 first team CB's including keogh.

We have Cody and Elliot up front, can we really say RODs proven because of one 15 game spell in his entire English football career?

At this point in time, we're still too light on numbers and quality.

we still have no money either...theres never gonna be a perfect squad right now im afraid.

those kids just played alot of footy in league above,they will equip themselves well this year with more games i beleive

however i agree 1 more experienced cm would be handy

ccfc2011

i would play 3 5 2.

ccfcway

----------------Murphy-----------------

-----Cameron---Wood---Willis------
Clarke-------------------------Hussey
--------------Deegan------------------
------Fleck-------------Kilbane-------
-------------Elliot----------------------
------------------Cody------------------

SkyBlue_Bear83

------------Murphy
Clarke---Keogh--Wood---Hussey
---------Deegan---Kilbane-
-Baker--------Fleck---------Sheff
-------------Mcdonald
Bench
Dunn
Elliott
Cameron
Gael
Thomas
Bell
ROD

We are about 3/4 players off still assuming no exits

That first team should challenge for the top 6, just need to worry about injuries.

Baginton

My starting XI if Bigi has gone...

....................MURPHY.................
CLARKE--KEOGH--WOOD--KILBANE
BELL----DEEGAN----FLECK---SHEFF
---------ELLIOTT--McDONALD------

Subs: DUNN--BAKER--HUSSEY--JEFFERS--O'DONOVAN

Cameron, Thomas, Burge, Philips, Willis, Henderson, Ruffles, Roberts, Daniels, Wilson.

Injured... Christie.

WE'RE GOING UP AS F'KIN CHAMPIONS

Last edited:

oakey

MURPHY
CLARKE....CAMERON / NS.....WOOD.....HUSSEY
BELL...THOMAS....FLECK....KILBANE
CODY.....McSHEFF

SUBS: DUNN, CHRISTIE, WILLIS, BAKER, DEEGAN, ELLIOTT, YOUTH PLAYER

Users who are viewing this thread