Port Vale "[We'll] be prepared to do a ground share [with City]" (1 Viewer)

The CableGuy

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/story-17587651-detail/story.

PORT Vale would allow cash-strapped Coventry City to play at Vale Park, chief executive Norman Smurthwaite has revealed.

The Sky Blues could be forced out of the Ricoh Arena in a row over unpaid rent.

The League One side have a Boxing Day deadline to settle a £1.1m bill from stadium owners Arena Coventry Ltd or face a winding-up petition.

City are thought to have held provisional talks with Blue Square North side Hinckley United, but Coventry-born millionaire Smurthwaite says Vale would help out.

"If City end up needing a stadium, I'd be prepared to do a ground share," he said.

"They haven't asked, but I'd to do it until the end of this season, though I wouldn't do it next season because we'll be playing them in League One.

"We certainly wouldn't let them come for free. But I would enter dialogue with them."

Smurthwaite, who completed his £1.25m takeover of the Valiants with chairman Paul Wildes last month, can see the benefits of the move.

"I wouldn't make them an offer of using our ground – they'd have to come to me," he added, "but it would put us in a better place from a networking point of view.

"We could accommodate them on a pay-as-you-play arrangement, as long as it didn't conflict with our schedule.

"I grew up in Coventry, but it wouldn't be a decision I make with my heart. It would be a commercial arrangement for the benefit of this club and it applies to any club, not just them."

A Football League spokesman said any ground-share proposal would need the approval of the board.

"The clubs would need to agree the principals and practicalities of any arrangement and come to us with a proposal," he said.

"It's something we would need to look into."

Port Vale Supporters' Club chairman Pete Williams believes it would be a good move.

"If we can bring in extra income for ourselves, then it's a win-win situation," he said, "If we could help a fellow club in a difficult time, that would be great."

:thinking about:

kg82

Even though I know nothing will come of this being kicked out thing its nice that other clubs are offering.

ashbyjan

Sure our current landlord will give us a glowing reference though might advise vale to get paid upfront

Last edited:

scroobiustom

"I wouldn't make them an offer of using our ground – they'd have to come to me"

Is this not an offer?

That quote reads a little bit like "I'm not a racist but..."

wingy

"I wouldn't make them an offer of using our ground – they'd have to come to me"

Is this not an offer?

That quote reads a little bit like "I'm not a racist but..."

Its an Invitation to treat in Law.
He's inviting someone to make him an offer.

scroobiustom

SO its like saying, we have no interest in this agreement, but....

in other words, I really want this to happen, please, please! let this happen

Tonylinc

The phrase "invitation to treat", usually only comes about when one party has indicated a price that would be acceptable. Do I therefore take it that a price has already been put forward?

SkyblueBazza

Might as well go to the Bescot Stadium...it's quicker/easier to get to at about 30m from the Ricoh. Trains close by too. AND like with Port Vale it keeps the money in football (I use the term loosely in Walsall's case) rather than Alexander Stadium as someone suggested in another thread earlier.

wingy

The phrase "invitation to treat", usually only comes about when one party has indicated a price that would be acceptable. Do I therefore take it that a price has already been put forward?
That would be true of a product for sale in a shop ,or a property through an Estate Agent ,but it is the purchaser making the offer,whether a contract is needed or not ,the vendor accepts the offer when accepting payment .
In this case its Invitation to treat with no specified terms .Sisu would approach ,discuss, he would suggest a fee ,they would "Offer their Value ", he would either reject or accept their", "offer".

Voice_of_Reason

For us old OAP's, I've always felt a soft spot for Port Vale. In the late 1950's Port Vale and CCFC were founder members of Division 4 ( Both having been relegated from Division 3( South) and Division 3 (North) respectively. The following season Port Vale and CCFC were both promoted back to Division 3. Port Vale and CCFC both competed to finish as champions and, when CCFC played Port Vale at Highfield Road 28,0000 people attended. Long time ago now, but I've always felt sorry for Port Vale having Stoke City in the same town as the lesser team. Nostalgia I know, but I have over 60 years of memories to look back on since I first went to Highfield Road in 1952 aged 10.

redsox

Facebook User
I hope it doesn't come to it but if it does the vale are just down the road from me .............result!!:p

dongonzalos

I can see how that comparison is similar :thinking about:

Smurf is not and example of a club offering a nice friendly gesture to us, as you suggested. It was purely a chance to make money out of our plight. So you are right not a good comparison it is worse.

Covstu

Well if we see an opportunity like this, I am sure we would offer the same solution. Every club in league one and two need to capitalise on any opportunity they can!

kg82

Smurf is not and example of a club offering a nice friendly gesture to us, as you suggested. It was purely a chance to make money out of our plight. So you are right not a good comparison it is worse.

Don't cry mate, it was just an opinion.

Grendel

Making money out of our plight? Like ACL you mean?

Rushden & Diamonds or Hinkley is one thing, but Port Vale? Jesus Christ, I'd rather share with rats. They ought to focus on finishing their ground first before tarting it around to clubs on their uppers, as if you don't have enough to deal with already.

Fortunately for you it's all bluster and negotiating tactics and not in any danger of actually happening. Good luck with ridding yourself from those leaches who own your club. Wouldn't it be nice to focus on enjoying football again?

Grendel

Rushden & Diamonds or Hinkley is one thing, but Port Vale? Jesus Christ, I'd rather share with rats. They ought to focus on finishing their ground first before tarting it around to clubs on their uppers, as if you don't have enough to deal with already.

Fortunately for you it's all bluster and negotiating tactics and not in any danger of actually happening. Good luck with ridding yourself from those leaches who own your club. Wouldn't it be nice to focus on enjoying football again?

Do stoke own the Brittania?

Baginton

Do stoke own the Brittania?

the Stadium was originally owned jointly by Stoke City F.C., Stoke-on-Trent City Council and Stoke-on-Trent Regeneration Ltd. However, in December 2007 Stoke City F.C. announced that they had agreed a deal to buy the shares in the stadium of Stoke-on-Trent City Council and Stoke-on-Trent Regeneration for £6 million, giving them full ownership.

Waldorf

the Stadium was originally owned jointly by Stoke City F.C., Stoke-on-Trent City Council and Stoke-on-Trent Regeneration Ltd. However, in December 2007 Stoke City F.C. announced that they had agreed a deal to buy the shares in the stadium of Stoke-on-Trent City Council and Stoke-on-Trent Regeneration for £6 million, giving them full ownership.
I suppose SISU would want to buy the Ricoh for that, since it's "the average price for a League 1 stadium".

Grendel

I suppose SISU would want to buy the Ricoh for that, since it's "the average price for a League 1 stadium".

Yes they definately would.

Baginton

it was built for £14.7m back in '98 wow... that was cheap!!

ours cost a whopping £113m a mere 7 years later WTF?? was that including building Tesco :thinking about:

wingy

it was built for £14.7m back in '98 wow... that was cheap!!

ours cost a whopping £113m a mere 7 years later WTF?? was that including building Tesco :thinking about:

Its all in the Stats is'nt it.
The Stadium Construction came in around £58M. out of a total £118m.
The asociated costs relating to land preparation.
The Stade de France Cost around £120M. around 10-12 years ago,which shows one thing ,construction costs are much higher in this country.
If the whole project cost £58M. its safe to assume the Ground elelment came in around £40M.,a good solution would be to them have it for £25M.

Users who are viewing this thread