Match Thread Port Vale - Coventry City Match Thread - Tuesday 26th Dec (4 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Discuss the Port Vale - Coventry City match, tactics and predictions :)

stevefloyd

wow the feel good factor is back, great Christmas so far, not sure who will fill Vincentis role lets hope its not DKE because he is giving us absolutely zilch, he looks like a little boy in a mans game atm, maybe its time to get the hard working Beavon to play out of position because he is about the only bit of experience we have left

Otis

Big factor here is who we pick in place of Vincenti. As has been said by many, DKE (the D one, not the D one) just isn't the answer.

He lacks the tenacity of his brother and his touch isn't great. So, if not DKE, then who? What other options are there?

Stan 43

wow the feel good factor is back, great Christmas so far, not sure who will fill Vincentis role lets hope its not DKE because he is giving us absolutely zilch, he looks like a little boy in a mans game atm, maybe its time to get the hard working Beavon to play out of position because he is about the only bit of experience we have left
2-1 to us! Mcnulty both
We have a good run against vale, I think we have won last 3

cov4theprem

Do anyone know if more tickets are available after the initial allocation as only 300 left and expect a big walk up on the day?

oucho

Sorry if it has been mentioned, but is Vincenti definitely out? I know we're not expecting Kelly back either, so I think this one has the potential to be a tough one.

Then again, I was there last season when, despite rocking up bottom of the league and managerless, we played Vale off the park and won 2-0 in what turned out to be our only away league win of the season. He're hoping for more of the same on Tuesday - I for one will be there!

mrtrench

Who'd have thought we'd be worried if Vincenti is fit given the scepticism directed towards him in recent weeks? I doubt he'll play - he looked very sore and there isn't enough time.

Just a thought. How about putting Burge on the right wing and playing O'Brien in goal? He must be an absolute wizard at bringing the ball down from a great height judging from his distribution.

Otis

I can only guess Vincenti is out. It looked painful, so would not expect him to feature.

No idea who we should bring in, especially not with DKE not showing us anything at all now for a number of games.

Nazon out wide? Could do that but he lacks any defensive discipline.

Biamou out wide? Not sure that would work. Especially not out on the right. Think when he played a wider role before it was on the left hand side.

Stevenson? Not sure accomodating both Bayliss AND Stevenson would be a wise idea.

Willis to right back, bring in Davies and push Grimmer further forwards?

I keep coming back to DKE, but he simply has not been up to the task since that first foray into the team.

Anyone else any other ideas?

Last edited:

wingy

Sorry if it has been mentioned, but is Vincenti definitely out? I know we're not expecting Kelly back either, so I think this one has the potential to be a tough one.

Then again, I was there last season when, despite rocking up bottom of the league and managerless, we played Vale off the park and won 2-0 in what turned out to be our only away league win of the season. He're hoping for more of the same on Tuesday - I for one will be there!
They've only collected 1 less point than us over the last 8 games I think.

oucho

I can only guess Vincenti is out. It looked painful, so would not expect him to feature.

No idea who we should bring in, especially not with DKE not showing us anything at all now for a number of games.

Biamou out wide? Not sure that would work. Especially not out on the right. Think when he played a wider role before it was on the left hand side.

Stevenson? Not sure accomodating both Bayliss AND Stevenson would be a wise idea.

I keep coming back to DKE, but he simply has been up to the task since that first foray into the team.

I don't like any of Duck, Biamou or McNulty on the flank, to me they are all central players. So unfortunately we're a bit screwed....

My first thought is to pick Doyle as a "quarterback"-style sweeper in front of the back 4, then have three more attacking "central" mids in front of him in the form of Bayliss (left), Stevenson (centre) and Devon KE (left); pick Duck and McNulty in front of them as a forward duo.

Otis

I don't like any of Duck, Biamou or McNulty on the flank, to me they are all central players. So unfortunately we're a bit screwed....

My first thought is to pick Doyle as a "quarterback"-style sweeper in front of the back 4, then have three more attacking "central" mids in front of him in the form of Bayliss (left), Stevenson (centre) and Devon KE (left); pick Duck and McNulty in front of them as a forward duo.
Yeah, but that's tinkering then and I would guess it's something we haven't tried in training.

My only real guess is that it WILL be DKE.

johnwillomagic

I would get Stevenson in to replace Vincenti it puts him further up the pitch and may break shackles off him when he came into team originally he did try to go forwards with the ball and look to attack....

Team
Burge GK
Grimmer RB
Willis CB
Macdonald CB
Stokes LB
Doyle CM
Baylis CM
Stevenson ATT
McNulty ATT
Shipley ATT
Biamou ST

Subs: O'Brien, Davies, Haynes, DKE, Maycock, Duck, Beavon.

mrtrench

If he doesn't go with the Burge option, I can see Willis playing LB; Grimmer LW and Davies CB.

Gazolba

My prediction: 1-1.
Burge throws the ball out, it hits Doyle on the back of the head and flies back toward him, he tries to head it over the bar but ends up heading it into his own net.
It stays that way until the 90th minute.
Biamou is clean through with only the GK to beat, he shoots and hits the left post but it bounces right back to him so he shoots again and he hits the right post, it bounces back out and Shipley who has run from the half-way line knocks it in.

Otis

I have just offered up that permutation to my bookies and they have given me quite favourable odds of 11/8.

If it all comes to fruition you could be looking at the new owner of Coventry City Football Club.

Londonccfcfan

I keep coming back to DKE, but he simply has been up to the task since that first foray into the team.

This is a concern who’s going to play wide right away from home. Vincenti has been playing well recently.

Away from home I like the idea,

Obrian
Stokes
Davies
McDonald
Wills

Shipley
Doyle
Bayliss
Grimmer

Biamou
McNulty

I like the idea of Grimmer pushed on, bring Davies on to Mark their one big threat Pope.

Comfortable win 2-0, first clean sheet since Luton Away.

Londonccfcfan

Another option I think can work is Beavon on the right as he has the experience/good engine/good discipline to play there.

Think he deserves a chance. Think he has huge part to play this season.

AFCCOVENTRY

DKE is a bad option. I'm afraid he's too weak for this division. Gets knocked about, isn't strong enough and the right side gets very weak.

Last edited:

Otis

DKE is a bad option. I'm afraid he's too weak for this division. Gets knocked about, isn't strong enough and the right said gets very weak.
Yep. Hate to dismiss young players, but as it stands, I can only see him ending up in non league.

Hope I'm wrong.

Londonccfcfan

Yep. Hate to dismiss young players, but as it stands, I can only see him ending up in non league.

Hope I'm wrong.

Your not wrong. I’m afraid in matches like this one, where the ball spent more time in the air than on the floor, a 4’11 player has no chance even if he had the skills of Maradona.

larry_david

DKE is only in the squad right now due to injuries surely? For a small lad he doesn't even offer pace, it's shame but he needs to be loaned out to learn his game elsewhere because unfortunately when he's playing it's like playing with a man less.

Great_Expectations

As has been said, DKE on the wing would severely shackle us, he tries hard and has some of the tenacity of his brother, but just isn’t that good at football or ready for the first team as it currently stands.

Little hypocritical, but do we have another young winger we can give a chance to?

The only other option is Beavon; he’d be out of position, but he would be disciplined and would instinctively be more attacking than playing Grimmer there for example. I’d also be reluctant to move Grimmer as he offers a lot from right back, plus Willis never looks comfortable there and having him and Grimmer down the right would be too defensive.

no_loyalty

3-1 away win with McNulty continuing with his recent form and getting another brace, and McDonald with his first for the club

better days

Drop Biamou and give me a game.

Please.
Imagine the abuse you'd get if you don't score
It's not long since hordes of people were calling for Ponticelli but he seems to be forgotten after going a few games without a goal
If Earlsdon isn't selected I'd start with Ponti if Vincenti isn't fit and tell him to run himself out in the first half and bring the Duke on in the 2nd half

Users who are viewing this thread