Port Vale - Boxing Day (1 Viewer)

oakey

This thread is like a throwback to the 60s or an episode of 'Til death us do part' o_O
I have a large family and none of them go shopping on Boxing Day or go out to pubs all day. They all have family round or relaxing days. Home games would be fine but nobody would consider an away trip.
This "women like shopping, men like booze and sport" really is a lazy stereotype. In your household it might still hold true but it doesn't fit my experience.

Otis

This thread is like a throwback to the 60s or an episode of 'Til death us do part' o_O
I have a large family and none of them go shopping on Boxing Day or go out to pubs all day. They all have family round or relaxing days. Home games would be fine but nobody would consider an away trip.
This "women like shopping, men like booze and sport" really is a lazy stereotype. In your household it might still hold true but it doesn't fit my experience.
Nope! Nor does the 'who wears the trousers in your house' either.

Never fancied an away game on Boxing Day for the very reason we all go out as a family, 14 of us and it's a lovely day.

Modcons86

New to this forum, anyone know of any coaches apart from the official ones that'll be travelling over to port vale on boxing day? Or is there a separate thread you can point me to that I might have missed?
Cheers.

Astute

I won't have a lot of choice with this game. I have a feeling that Santa will leave a couple of tickets under the xmas tree for my little boy. So I will have to take him.

Beats staying at home watching crap on the TV anyway. And the rest of the family will enjoy the peace. I am off work for 26 days starting just before Xmas. They will need the break from me.

ccfchoi87

New to this forum, anyone know of any coaches apart from the official ones that'll be travelling over to port vale on boxing day? Or is there a separate thread you can point me to that I might have missed?
Cheers.

Sky blue army, the parkstone run a coach, not sure if the trust still do

Ashdown

Wife is working boxing day, so am I so will have to do with iFollow!

When I was younger Boxing day you could go out and come home new years eve for a shower to go back out again but not now.

If I wasn't working I could have gone, if it was home I could have gone and been on call :)
I thought working for SISU on here was your job !?.......just joking darling !

fernandopartridge

Yeah, that's exactly what I have said. I like to go out on Boxing Day. Nothing Alf Garnett about it, you seem to be the one with a chip on your shoulder mate.

pusbccfc

600 sold as of this morning, only just on general sale.

oucho

I've been to PV a few times already and its an absolute S*** hole.
Imagine sacrificing 8 hours picking at the Boxing Day buffet to go to Stoke on Trent/Burslem!
Usually go to PV but I'm not leaving my family to go to Burslem at Christmas!

Oi, less of that lads, I'm from round that neck of the woods! You don't see me coming on here slagging off Cov!

Can I just ask generally, don't your wives and girlfriends and family mind you going to an away game on Boxing Day?

I have always done it at home, but of course I am only missing for 2- 21/2 hrs tops. Guessing this is an all dayer usually away from home. I know Port Vale isn't that far, but it must be about 6 hrs turnaround altogether mustn't it? Hour and half to get there, game 2 hrs, hour an half back with no drinks after.

Do the wives, husbands and partners not grumble?

Thes Mrs is joining me for this one (maybe!). We will have Xmas day at home in Lincoln then next day drive over to my mum's who lives up the road from Vale Park. Mrs Oucho will have the choice of going round my mum's with all my family or joining me at VP. She was a bit nonplussed by the idea of going to games on Boxing Day but I told her it was the only non-negotiatiable aspect of our Christmas from my point of view, so she accepted that fairly easily. She didn't enjoy Chesterfield or Lincoln really so not sure if she'll come to Vale Park - she does like the Bulls Head in the town centre, though.

I never do away games anyway, so don't get your point there at all.

What's the reason for that? You could bin your ST and use the saved money to go to selected games home and away, which would be more enjoyable and interesting than going to every home game.

Otis

Oi, less of that lads, I'm from round that neck of the woods! You don't see me coming on here slagging off Cov!

Thes Mrs is joining me for this one (maybe!). We will have Xmas day at home in Lincoln then next day drive over to my mum's who lives up the road from Vale Park. Mrs Oucho will have the choice of going round my mum's with all my family or joining me at VP. She was a bit nonplussed by the idea of going to games on Boxing Day but I told her it was the only non-negotiatiable aspect of our Christmas from my point of view, so she accepted that fairly easily. She didn't enjoy Chesterfield or Lincoln really so not sure if she'll come to Vale Park - she does like the Bulls Head in the town centre, though.

What's the reason for that? You could bin your ST and use the saved money to go to selected games home and away, which would be more enjoyable and interesting than going to every home game.

Money mainly, but also opportunity. I am always ferrying my daughter places. Home games means I am missing for 3 hrs max. Away games would be all day for the most part.

oucho

Money mainly, but also opportunity. I am always ferrying my daughter places. Home games means I am missing for 3 hrs max. Away games would be all day for the most part.
Sounds like a good reason to go, not a good reason to stay!

Nick

Administrator
How much is an away day typically? I know some have said around £70-100. Is that about right with ticket, petrol, food etc?

Depends if you are on the beers, what car you have and how far it is.

My last one was Lincoln.

£18 ticket
£30 fuel at most I think it was
£3 parking
£4 in chippy
£2.50 in services for a drink on way back as I was gasping for a drink

If you were on the beers all day, trains, taxis, full meals it would be well over £100.

Otis

My last one was Lincoln.

£18 ticket
£3 parking
£4 in chippy

If you were on the beers all day, trains, taxis, full meals it would be well over £100.
So about £57? Beyond my meagre means unfortunately.

Have fancied on occasion, but never felt able to make it.

oucho

My last one was Lincoln.

£18 ticket
£3 parking
£4 in chippy

How much is an away day typically? I know some have said around £70-100. Is that about right with ticket, petrol, food etc?

I find that once you throw in something to eat at the ground, a bit of lunch (i.e. more than the chippy), 8-10 pints with the lads, taxi to the ground or station on many occasions, you do not come out with change for £100.

Otis

I find that once you throw in something to eat at the ground, a bit of lunch (i.e. more than the chippy), 8-10 pints with the lads, taxi to the ground or station on many occasions, you do not come out with change for £100.

Maybe I need to get a job.

oucho

Maybe I need to get a job.
Well yes..., it's useful for bringing in money to spend on essential living costs as well as leisure activities.

Otis

Well yes..., it's useful for bringing in money to spend on essential living costs as well as leisure activities.
Oh. Why has no-one ever told me that before? I thought it only brought back-break and misery.

oucho

Oh. Why has no-one ever told me that before? I thought it only brought back-break and misery.

Depends who you work for....given your history of watching games involving the likes of Roger Hunt and Ian St John, I guess you are retired?

Adge

Get the wife to ferry her!

Grendel

Ah and there within lies a tale. I know this won't make sense, but she will only drive to places she knows and won't go anywhere new.

If she drives like the Russians in Moscow where she knows is often the pavement

Otis

If she drives like the Russians in Moscow where she knows is often the pavement
It's the illogical notion she can't drive anywhere she hasn't driven to before, but obviously had to drive to those places in order for her be able to drive there again.

She won't do motorways or dual carriageways either.

Londonccfcfan

978 sold as of earlier today.

Close to 2000 possibly by Boxing day.

Staggering support away from home this season! Easily the best in the league.

This level of away support is akin to a Championship side.

CV22SBA

978 sold as of earlier today.

Close to 2000 possibly by Boxing day.

Staggering support away from home this season! Easily the best in the league.

This level of away support is akin to a Championship side.
Sounds like it will easilly be our biggest away following so far then. Not so sure Morecambe and Carlisle will do our average much good though.

Users who are viewing this thread