Poppy or not (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter westcountry_skyblue
  • Start date

tommydazzle

Always wear one to honour the ordinary men (boys in a lot of cases) and women who gave their lives in both World Wars. Don't like to see all the politicians and church establishment at the Cenotaph, would rather it was just the old soldiers.

pastythegreat

Taxi driver in Erdington sacked for refusing to transport a customer because he had a box of poppy he was selling.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Pete

Always wear one to honour the ordinary men (boys in a lot of cases) and women who gave their lives in both World Wars. Don't like to see all the politicians and church establishment at the Cenotaph, would rather it was just the old soldiers.
And their friends and families. Memorial service in Amiens cathedral did just this and was very effective.
Like to wear red and white poppies. Red for memory of all those people that sacrificed their tomorrows for our today’s and white as I want us to do all we can to make peace a reality as peace is not just the absence of war but can be as sacrificial in a way of living life as taking up a weapon. Read about Justin Welby and his work in Nigeria as a for instance

Otis

And their friends and families. Memorial service in Amiens cathedral did just this and was very effective.
Like to wear red and white poppies. Red for memory of all those people that sacrificed their tomorrows for our today’s and white as I want us to do all we can to make peace a reality as peace is not just the absence of war but can be as sacrificial in a way of living life as taking up a weapon. Read about Justin Welby and his work in Nigeria as a for instance
Common sense thinking.

Grappa

You can't have it both ways mate
DrLbQMxX4AIeDP0.jpg:large

WhaleOilBeefHooked

I sometimes do. I sometimes don't. All depends if I have one to hand or any change to give the collector.

I draw the line at the white poppy, though. It's akin to the white feather handed out in WWI for the cowards. Either wear a normal one, or don't wear one at all as you look like an attention seeking jerk, otherwise.

fellatio_Martinez

It's a very political symbol and is too nuanced to boil down to Poppy = good or bad.

I could wear a poppy in honour of all the young people who died in WW1 or 2 or I could wear one to honour some murderous bastard who caused terror in an occupied territory.

The lines are very blurred and this causes the problem.

I personally would never wear one but I don't mind people that do.

Nick

Administrator
I wonder if they take it in turns to man the sandbags? Looks like something from dads army.

rob9872

That seems more disrespectful to me than not wearing a poppy. It’s rememberance day not Xmas.
You've obviously not seen the latest John Candy film

clint van damme

competitive poppying:

as some joker put on social media - at the going down of the garage door, we will remember them.

Seems a bit over the top, like its a competition to see who can make the biggest remembrance day statement.
Like people who went to the King Power to pay their respects but had to put it all over social media complete with photos. 'It's all very look at me'.

rondog1973

as some joker put on social media - at the going down of the garage door, we will remember them.

Seems a bit over the top, like its a competition to see who can make the biggest remembrance day statement.
Like people who went to the King Power to pay their respects but had to put it all over social media complete with photos. 'It's all very look at me'.
Same as the supposed outrage about Demari Grey being booked for removing his shirt. It's the rules you twat! Don't do it coz it's nowt to do with the tragedy, just a 'look at me' gesture.

chiefdave

It's the rules you twat!
Seems its only on social media there's outrage. Leicester's manager was fine with it.
We played like professionals and it was important for the referee to be professional too.

He knows the rules and it was important for Demi to take this yellow card.

It was the one time I accepted a yellow card from my player. It was very emotional.

Otis

Same as the supposed outrage about Demari Grey being booked for removing his shirt. It's the rules you twat! Don't do it coz it's nowt to do with the tragedy, just a 'look at me' gesture.
It was the same with Sandra Gynn too after PE, when she burst into the boys' changing rooms dressed just in a towel and she opened the towel to reveal she was completely naked underneath and yelled 'Hello boys, what do you think of this!!'

I reckon that was probably a 'look at me' gesture too.

pastythegreat

This has just arrived this morning. Have emailed Walsall for permission to take it with me on Saturday.
059c00f02eb1a4f584bb52c757070ceb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread