Pompey v Southampton (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

Living locally and knowing other derbies, I can tell you this one is fierce. The hatred is more than I've seen in other derbies.

Seeing some of the videos on FB tonight, it's easy to see how some come to that conclusion.

Living on the outskirts of Pompey and having worked at SFC before, I've seen it from both sides. I'm more Pompey than Saints though. Soton is a weird place.

That said, saw one video of a Pompey fan trying to punch a police horse. Idiot. Giving all other Pompey fans a bad name.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

Each team takes a couple of hundred fans from the Isle of Wight as well. Trouble is, they usually travel together on the hovercraft or ferry. Lots of rivalry on board but as yet, pretty good behaviour and banter. I used to go across on the hovercraft and chat away, telling everyone that I was a Cov fan. Some really nice comments from many of them - both sides.
I live locally too...& put put them together...very often it isn't nice is it? Okay, if they know/work with each other it is toned down quite significantly - otherwise just in some random pub some 20miles north & it gets very heated. Match days it is pretty mental I have found. And generally my feeling is that the Pompey fans bear the greater grudge. For many Saints fans it is just a bit of a wind-up that seems to work.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

SkyblueBazza

Personally, I'd say that's absolute bollocks!
I'd say there are several bigger derbies in England let alone Celtic v Rangers. I know there is fierce rivalry between the two but it sounds like they're trying to hype it up.
There is big & there is intense. This is not the same scale but living locally - it is intense to say the least. People will fight over this rivalry on a Monday night in their local pub if they are on opposing sides in somewhere like Titchfield, Gosport or Fareham...even in close season!

SkyblueBazza

I always thought of Saints fans as a bit of a bunch of wet wipes, so hard to imagine them being "fiery".
Don't you believe it...where I live now on the Soton outskirts - not the most celubrious, but equally it is no shit hole - the local community mostly stems from generations of pikey's & almost every night there are police helicopters & sirens & next day reports of gangs & muggings & shootings within a 1/4mile radius.

The whole city seems to be a refined & subtle ghetto.

SkyblueBazza

Living locally and knowing other derbies, I can tell you this one is fierce. The hatred is more than I've seen in other derbies.

Seeing some of the videos on FB tonight, it's easy to see how some come to that conclusion.

Living on the outskirts of Pompey and having worked at SFC before, I've seen it from both sides. I'm more Pompey than Saints though. Soton is a weird place.

That said, saw one video of a Pompey fan trying to punch a police horse. Idiot. Giving all other Pompey fans a bad name.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yep...I went from living in a more Pompey biased location to a Saints one I have to say that I err to identify more with the Pompey lot.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I live locally too...& put put them together...very often it isn't nice is it? Okay, if they know/work with each other it is toned down quite significantly - otherwise just in some random pub some 20miles north & it gets very heated. Match days it is pretty mental I have found. And generally my feeling is that the Pompey fans bear the greater grudge. For many Saints fans it is just a bit of a wind-up that seems to work.

I prefer Southampton to Pompey, but that's as far as it goes. Not a massive fan of either, but these derbies are something else! The Isle of Wight Facebook pages were full of it tonight!

SkyblueBazza

I prefer Southampton to Pompey, but that's as far as it goes. Not a massive fan of either, but these derbies are something else! The Isle of Wight Facebook pages were full of it tonight!
It is a much nicer, cleaner, tidier city...the people are nice enough too. I just feel more at home with the Pompey side. Maybe because that is where I spent more time early on.

bringbackrattles

I recall Southampton fans gaining nationwide notoriety way back in the early 70's. They were at the Dell at home to Forest, and their hooligan mob ambushed Forest fans on their way back to the coaches. They smashed up all the buses and badly beat numerous away fans. It was that bad it was on the news which was rare at that time. And to this day Forest hate Southampton for attacking many innocent fans. They aren't as innocent as many believe !

CCFC88

I recall Southampton fans gaining nationwide notoriety way back in the early 70's. They were at the Dell at home to Forest, and their hooligan mob ambushed Forest fans on their way back to the coaches. They smashed up all the buses and badly beat numerous away fans. It was that bad it was on the news which was rare at that time. And to this day Forest hate Southampton for attacking many innocent fans. They aren't as innocent as many believe !
That was 40+ years ago though wasn't it, every club had more than their fair share. These days they seem like a lovely family club who you never really hear a peep out until this derby comes around.

bringbackrattles

That was 40+ years ago though wasn't it, every club had more than their fair share. These days they seem like a lovely family club who you never really hear a peep out until this derby comes around.
Fair point. But they have their hooligans just as do every club in the UK. The only family club ground I have been to back in the mad days of hooliganism was Craven Cottage, the home of Fulham, it was really peaceful and friendly, which was strange seeing most home fans were out to attack you then. Only friendly fans I've ever encountered.

Last edited:

skyblue1991

Luton Watford is meant to be one of the fiercest in UK football.

Norwich Ipswich up there too despite being 45 miles apart in different counties!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Travs

I’d say Birmingham Villa, Cardiff Swansea, possibly Newcastle Sunderland, and West Ham Millwall. But there’s plenty of fierce ones about.

In Europe the most tense derby I’ve been to was Lazio Roma, (although AC Milan vs Juventus had a better atmosphere overall). Had flights booked for the Belgrade Derby a few years ago, but it was around the time of that drone and all the trouble regarding Albania/Kosovo, and I decided against it...

SkyblueBazza

It is a much nicer, cleaner, tidier city...the people are nice enough too. I just feel more at home with the Pompey side. Maybe because that is where I spent more time early on.

Having said that...
Teens armed with samurai swords, knives, machetes and tasers run riot in the streets of Southampton.

'Full-scale riot' breaks out in Southampton neighbourhood – and police are stepping up patrols

Gang of teens armed with knives, baseball bats and screwdrivers "swarm" play park

Skyblueweeman

To be fair Bazza, Goodwood was both sets of fans by the looks of it. I used to work at Goodwood about 15 years ago at the racecourse and there was never any trouble like this. The youth of today!

I drove into Southampton last week as I had to get my car serviced. Still think the place is weird, especially compared to Pompey. There were some little rugrats on bikes in hoodies with masks on and when they cycled past me when I was parked at a red light, they just stared at me like they wanted a race or something. Stupid little pr!cks. They then cycled into a park (and it was dark at this time of day) so no doubt scaring some innocent folk.

Pompey over Soton every day of the week for me.

Skyblueweeman

No way, Portsmouth is a complete shit hole.

I'm sure we've had this convo before though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Pompey is the same as every other place in the UK...nice parts, bad parts (defo the same as Soton). The people are friendlier (and less weird) in Pompey.

Each to their own though. Where do you live Covmark?

covmark

Pompey is the same as every other place in the UK...nice parts, bad parts (defo the same as Soton). The people are friendlier (and less weird) in Pompey.

Each to their own though. Where do you live Covmark?
I live near Salisbury, but I work all over the south coast.
You're correct, shit parts and good parts of every city.
Strange really, because I find the opposite. The people I deal with in Southampton are friendlier than Portsmouth.
You want weird, nip yourself over to the Isle of Wight haha.

Skyblueweeman

I live near Salisbury, but I work all over the south coast.
You're correct, shit parts and good parts of every city.
Strange really, because I find the opposite. The people I deal with in Southampton are friendlier than Portsmouth.
You want weird, nip yourself over to the Isle of Wight haha.

Salisbury is nice. My folks live in Chippenham so I drive through Salisbury on the way back to theirs.

Ha ha...I've only ventured to the Island 4 times...3 times for the festival and once to cycle round it. That was enough for me!

Users who are viewing this thread