Police with criminal convictions (1 Viewer)

rob9872

Numbers are unbelievable.

Hypocritical cunts.

rob9872

I kind of understand those of disorder etc but sone of them for theft and burglary is an absolute joke.

Paid with public money to uphold the law.

Nick

Administrator
I dont get the theft stuff either, a lot of violence too.

I always assumed you couldn't get in if you had a record

shmmeee

Honestly not bothered. Petty crime shouldn’t have a life sentence, as long as they’ve not done anything since becoming a copper crack on I reckon.

RegTheDonk

Honestly not bothered. Petty crime shouldn’t have a life sentence, as long as they’ve not done anything since becoming a copper crack on I reckon.

Must be scaping the barrel for some reason, but they need to weed these types out in the recruiting process. It's not like the old wild west when you'd make the local villian the sherrif, just because he's hard knock and will stand no crap. You can't have people like that running around with a badge, takes away all public trust and gives the nomarks more reason to hate them.

No, sorry, all for second chances but there's just some things that shouldn't be allowed. It's like sending your kids to a school where a reformed paedo worked.

Sick Boy

The only person I ever knew who joined the police was quite openly racist, ended up joining the Met.

chiefdave

The only person I ever knew who joined the police was quite openly racist, ended up joining the Met.
Once worked at a company who were involved in some scheme to employ people who had left the police and forces (think their wages got covered for the first few months). Plug got pulled by HR eventually as it was causing too many issues.

While I certainly wouldn't say all police or forces are racist, that would be ridiculous, it certainly appears more common in those professions than others.

fernandopartridge

I don't have a problem in principle with coppers with criminal records, but if the nature of any conviction is serious violent and/or sexual offence or a crime of dishonesty, then no way.

shmmeee

Must be scaping the barrel for some reason, but they need to weed these types out in the recruiting process. It's not like the old wild west when you'd make the local villian the sherrif, just because he's hard knock and will stand no crap. You can't have people like that running around with a badge, takes away all public trust and gives the nomarks more reason to hate them.

No, sorry, all for second chances but there's just some things that shouldn't be allowed. It's like sending your kids to a school where a reformed paedo worked.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. If you want life sentences then push for life sentences. I fundamentally believe if you’ve served your time you should be back in society. I also fundamentally believe people can change. If we’re deciding as a society that they can’t, then we might as well bring in the death penalty TBH.

It’s easy for emotive crimes like sex crimes, but what’s to stop retailers not employing people with petty theft on their record or whatever? Every crime ends up following you around for life and you’re never allowed to atone?

Nick

Administrator
We’ll have to agree to disagree. If you want life sentences then push for life sentences. I fundamentally believe if you’ve served your time you should be back in society. I also fundamentally believe people can change. If we’re deciding as a society that they can’t, then we might as well bring in the death penalty TBH.

It’s easy for emotive crimes like sex crimes, but what’s to stop retailers not employing people with petty theft on their record or whatever? Every crime ends up following you around for life and you’re never allowed to atone?

It depends on the job though, surely?

What happens if somebody with a history of theft is potentially left in a house that's been burgled and they chuck something in their pocket?

shmmeee

It depends on the job though, surely?

What happens if somebody with a history of theft is potentially left in a house that's been burgled and they chuck something in their pocket?

It does. Some offences should bar you from some jobs, I think I’m OK with that. Theft? I’m not so sure. I think I’d like to see the stats.

In another world I could have shoplifting on my record from being a stupid kid trying to fit in, I’ve never stolen anything else and never would, should I be barred?

I don’t know. I think the level and frequency and recency of the crimes matter.

Nick

Administrator
It does. Some offences should bar you from some jobs, I think I’m OK with that. Theft? I’m not so sure. I think I’d like to see the stats.

In another world I could have shoplifting on my record from being a stupid kid trying to fit in, I’ve never stolen anything else and never would, should I be barred?

I don’t know. I think the level and frequency and recency of the crimes matter.

It does depend, a kid stealing a chocolate bar or a CD or cars / burglary etc.

Should just be common sense on their level of honesty.

shmmeee

It does depend, a kid stealing a chocolate bar or a CD or cars / burglary etc.

Should just be common sense on their level of honesty.

Yeah I think so. I just worry about people trying to turn themselves around not being given the chance. Most places if given full access to criminal record will just drop anyone with a hint of anything and while that might be fair enough on an individual scale, of everywhere does it it makes rehabilitation almost impossible.

I was listening to a thing on restorative justice yesterday with a guy who did burglaries and ransacked people’s homes. Now doing a criminology degree and seems to have really sorted himself out. He should be allowed to IMO.

Walsgrave

I once worked with someone who was caught shoplifting from, ASDA, yet his son is very high up in the police force...

RegTheDonk

I agree mate that once you've served your sentence, you've paid your dues...but we're talking people with convictions working for the old bill - potentially dealing with vulnerable victims and having access to highly confidential IT systems. If you're comfortable with that, I respect your opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread