Points or Good Football? (2 Viewers)

ccfc92

I know what one I'd rather have. The one thing that actually matters, Points.

Forget playing like Barca, winning every game 5-0. Just 1-0 wins will do me, until Robins has chance to spend and improve the squad.

LewSkyBlue

I know what one I'd rather have. The one thing that actually matters, Points.

Forget playing like Barca, winning every game 5-0. Just 1-0 wins will do me, until Robins has chance to spend and improve the squad.

can i be the killjoy and say.... both??:whistle:

fernandopartridge

I have no faith in Robins spending money on anything worthwhile. His loan signings have all been mediocre at best.

I wouldn't mind winning ugly all the time, but we don't. We don't play football and we don't win points. It's fucking shit.

ccfc92

I have no faith in Robins spending money on anything worthwhile. His loan signings have all been mediocre at best.

I wouldn't mind winning ugly all the time, but we don't. We don't play football and we don't win points. It's fucking shit.

Erm, McGoldrick? He may have been an AT target, but MR signed him

ccfc92

Also FP. good players dont come in on frees or loans, you have to spend money for top players

fernandopartridge

Also FP. good players dont come in on frees or loans, you have to spend money for top players

There are other clubs who manage to do it. Why bring in 5 players (and nobody is ever 'free' in reality) if they're not going to improve the squad.

What was the point in signing Henderson? Moussa? Reckord? Bailey? Are any of them any better than what is here already.

The only player we paid a fee for (Barton) can't get a look in. Shame as just because he doesn't go around throwing himself into needless tackles (Jennings) he isn't liked.

Black6Osprey

Of course we all want points but its very rare for a team to play shit week in week out and finish near the top of the table.

Good teams can have bad games and still grind out a win but good teams climb the table because they play better over a period compared to the teams at the bottom.

We've been lucky under Robins in general and have picked up more points than I think our performances have deserved and our luck ran out today and we deserved to lose.

ccfc92

There are other clubs who manage to do it. Why bring in 5 players (and nobody is ever 'free' in reality) if they're not going to improve the squad.

What was the point in signing Henderson? Moussa? Reckord? Bailey? Are any of them any better than what is here already.

The only player we paid a fee for (Barton) can't get a look in. Shame as just because he doesn't go around throwing himself into needless tackles (Jennings) he isn't liked.

Moussa and Reckord possibly can do well. Henderson hasnt had a look in. Agreed Barton could offer something. But Id say some of our loan players have made our own players look very poor

stupot07

That's not the reason people don't rate him, it's his lack of commitment and urgency that people don't like. He was at fault or partially to blame for a number of goals this season, for example like stupidly giving the ball away while completely put of position against Bury when they broke and scored, or agains Crewe when he let their player dance around him, or against sheff Utd when was completely out of position and left brown exposed

ccfc92

No he didn't, he joined when Shaw was caretaker

EDIT seen others have already said

Sorry, I dont sit by my computer with my book of facts to hand :facepalm: :D

I just meant basically, he hasnt had chance in transfer market, to due our owners incredible ability of timing

stupot07

Most teams get promoted by playing good effective football. That means having the ability to control games for long periods and outing sustained pressure on the opposition. It's no coincidence that the top 6 have all scored 70+ goals for the last few seasons.

dongonzalos

There is something about him and robins admits that. However Robins feels you have to build a team around him. He doesn't want too do that he has generally preferred two defensive midfielders. Unfortunately if you let one bloke sign nine players.

Whatever your view is of AT. That bloke will have handpicked those players to do a particular job. That suits a particular way he plays.

You can't blame robins he will have his own style these players may not suit that ie Barton.

Grendel

There is something about him and robins admits that. However Robins feels you have to build a team around him. He doesn't want too do that he has generally preferred two defensive midfielders. Unfortunately if you let one bloke sign nine players.

Whatever your view is of AT. That bloke will have handpicked those players to do a particular job. That suits a particular way he plays.

You can't blame robins he will have his own style these players may not suit that ie Barton.

You say play a particular way. What way do you think Thorn was planning to play like when he signed these players?

Edjinguele
Kilbane
Brown
Ball
Jennings

I won't even include Malaga as he was never going to make it at this level and Elliot I have seen only occasionally

Grendel

He signed players immediately as it allows him to immediately have some authority by having new players in at training straight away. Also heentified current squad players he would not want at all and needed replacements. Remember when you say signings all them can be released in January so there is no commitment.
Many of the summer signings are on much longer arrangements - including two loanees.

Barton can't get a look in as he cannot compete with this level of football. All players however stylish they are have to show energy and commitment. Barton shows neither and gets dispossesed with ridiculous ease.

D

Deleted member 4232

Points points points. You only need 1 goal to win a game. West Ham (well... Big Sam really) and Stoke by reputation don't play attractive football, but look where they are.

dongonzalos

You say play a particular way. What way do you think Thorn was planning to play like when he signed these players?

Edjinguele
Kilbane
Brown
Ball
Jennings

I won't even include Malaga as he was never going to make it at this level and Elliot I have seen only occasionally

I am not AT or his wife, despite your suggestions that I maybe :).
I would hope that any manager who signs 9 players would hand pick them and visualise how they will fit in that managers style of play.

This plan is possibly different to Robin's. Which is natural for different managers. This doesn't really help us and exposes a flaw in sacking a manager so soon after you allowed him to sign so many players.

Yes I appreciate you wont get the cream of the crop on freebies but it should still be enough to compete in this league.

Wagg said everyone of the remaining candidates felt this squad was good enough to mount a promotion challenge. I agree with them this squad should be good enough.

So I can't say for definate what he planned for each player. However I can try and hazzard a guess, if you like.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

DMC despite lots ridiculing on here I imagine when he identified him it was to do what he is doing when he eventually signed in the loan Window as suggested.

I am guessing Jennings was to replace Deegan, after Deegan did Thomas. I guess, he preferred Deegan as a player but enough was enough.

Fleck to pick a pass and for his skill and ability. Suited to football on the floor to feet. No suited to high balls.
I guess he would have wanted him as part of a diamond either side or on the tip.

Kilbane I am guessing as a captain for the holding role and cover for left back. Possibly left side of midfield. In tight games.

Barton see above re Fleck.

Elliot wide on either side again ball to feet, finishing. Really dissapointed in him. Rumours of drinking issues don't help.

Brown to be a physical presence in this hoofing league
Edge as above plus ability to pass ball out of defence as with Malaga ( if rumours are true he has been moved on due to an inability to speak a word of English.) As oppose to his football ability.

Ball I assume to be a big man and hold the ball up if we change our style.

That's my guess. I think he was hoping to play the diamond and pass it out from defence and probably channel the game through Barton.

Have cody up front with DMC when the loan Window opened and have Fleck and Baker supporting them.

Jennings or Kilbane mopping up.

That's my guess.... based on what he tried in the past although its hard to say for definate. Would have known for definate after 10 to 15 games

Last edited:

Tank Top

Does this piss anyone else off.
with the game in its early stages, and Scunthorpe well on top.
Eaken and Linnell, telling us "how many places we will move up, if we win Today" Why cant they Keep the stats until the game is over, and then quote Facts and not Wishful thinking,
People were counting their Chickens about the result Yesterday, disregarding the fact that Scunthorpe had won away last week and scoring three goals in the victory.

dongonzalos

Does this piss anyone else off.
with the game in its early stages, and Sc-unithorpe well on top.
Eaken and Linnell, telling us "how many places we will move up, if we win Today" Why cant they Keep the stats until the game is over, and then quote Facts and not Wishful thinking,
People were counting their Chickens about the result Yesterday, disregarding the fact that Sc-unithorpe had won away last week and scoring three goals in the victory.

didn't piss me off I like to know what the possibilities are of the different outcomes of different results. All commentators do it. I would be questioning their journalistic ability if they didnt give a synopsis of the possible outcomes.

Last edited:

neilyboy67

got to be points, we are coventry city we dont really do winning so be a nice surprise if we kick on towards the top 6 with points in the bag, this in turn will knock a couple of thou on the gate more so than playing pretty innefective football and slumbering round our usual relegation area, i live in hope mind.

Users who are viewing this thread