Points deductions (1 Viewer)

wingy

Causing huge issues
Not sure why it’s hard to understand that if you break the rules you get punished
Palmer is right that racist behaviour should be met with points deductions
Discuss??
Only if he doesn't come on the pitch to celebrate with just about every one!! 🤔

skybluelee

Causing huge issues
Not sure why it’s hard to understand that if you break the rules you get punished
Palmer is right that racist behaviour should be met with points deductions
Discuss??
If you're that stupid and racist that you'd go to a game to impersonate a monkey at an opposition player, then I'm sure you wouldn't think twice about going in the home end of your biggest rivals and doing the same if a points deduction was possible.

Think of the kudos the neanderthal would get amongst his neanderthal friends.

Very difficult to police.

The Nomad

I think the issue people have isn't with the clubs being deducted points, it's how they come up with the random amount of points.

Everton deducted 10 then cut to 6. I mean if they take that long to decide on a points total, how can it then be cut on appeal and what are the reasons the came up with an amount then the reason it was cut?

Forest are now randlomely deducted 4 and no doubt that will be cut on appeal.

It's an absolute farce.

Sky Blue Harry H

I think the issue people have isn't with the clubs being deducted points, it's how they come up with the random amount of points.

Everton deducted 10 then cut to 6. I mean if they take that long to decide on a points total, how can it then be cut on appeal and what are the reasons the came up with an amount then the reason it was cut?

Forest are now randlomely deducted 4 and no doubt that will be cut on appeal.

It's an absolute farce.

reallynomad (so nearly an anagaram) ;)

jimmyhillsfanclub

Just punish the racists properly.

Taking points off the club for actions of an individual is the equivalent of the shitty weak teachers who used to try & keep the whole class in detention for the actions of one idiot.....

Frostie

If you're that stupid and racist that you'd go to a game to impersonate a monkey at an opposition player, then I'm sure you wouldn't think twice about going in the home end of your biggest rivals and doing the same if a points deduction was possible.

I understand this argument but they wouldn't throw out a points deduction just willy nilly for it. Once the culprit is identified you'd look at his history, is he a regular match goer etc etc.

shmmeee

I thought this but I’ve come round a bit. It wouldn’t be for one off stuff but if a club repeatedly fails to deal with it (as Sheff We’d have IMO) then they could be punished. I think the point that only points deductions have the right impact on big clubs is fair

skybluelee

I understand this argument but they wouldn't throw out a points deduction just willy nilly for it. Once the culprit is identified you'd look at his history, is he a regular match goer etc etc.
Very subjective though. I guess it could work for repeat offenders, such as that twat at Sheff Weds, eg if the club don't take action to ban him and he were to do it again then that could be acceptable grounds for punishing the club.

Sky Blue Pete

As is the financial stuff it appears

MalcSB

I thought this but I’ve come round a bit. It wouldn’t be for one off stuff but if a club repeatedly fails to deal with it (as Sheff We’d have IMO) then they could be punished. I think the point that only points deductions have the right impact on big clubs is fair
With Sheffield United, it became not one person but many and over more than one match.

torchomatic

And then there's the disaster chanting. Hillsborough, Hysel, etc. Football seems to get more toxic with every season.

Add in the racism, and even smaller incidents like those twats who put up the helicopter banners. Then there's the coked up idiots ruining away match days for fellow fans.

I do despair sometimes at the state of the game.

Sky Blue Pete

And then there's the disaster chanting. Hillsborough, Hysel, etc. Football seems to get more toxic with every season.

Add in the racism, and even smaller incidents like those twats who put up the helicopter banners. Then there's the coked up idiots ruining away match days for fellow fans.

I do despair sometimes at the state of the game.
That’s a good point that
It should be a safe place for families

jimmyhillsfanclub

Compared the the 70s, 80s, 90s & 00's, Football is a very safe & inclusive place......

Things obviously could still be improved, and some behaviours have worsened post-covid, but lets not get all rose-tinted about it....

The "state of the game" is precarious though.......but that is down to the clowns that run the game & the money thats polluted it.

Skyblueweeman

Plus, the obvious bias, as ‘smaller’ clubs get penalised in rapid time, while clubs like Man City get time to cover their misdeeds in as much legal loophole-age as possible. 🤷‍♂️
To be fair on the Man City process, Everton and Forests misdemeanors are only a handful (less than 5 I think) of charges.

Man Citys is over 100 so it's naturally going to take a lot longer. Given the gravity of their charges, the repercussions could be a lot greater so it's always going to take longer. So long as the right decision is made.

I agree about repeat offenders of racist behaviour. If it's proven that as a club, you're getting reprimanded on a number of occasions for instances of racism, the club should get points deducted.

torchomatic

Compared the the 70s, 80s, 90s & 00's, Football is a very safe & inclusive place......

Things obviously could still be improved, and some behaviours have worsened post-covid, but lets not get all rose-tinted about it....

The "state of the game" is precarious though.......but that is down to the clowns that run the game & the money thats polluted it.

I think it is a lot less violent. I've seen some frightening things over the years, particularly in the early/mid 80s, both away and at Highfield Road. I've seen the racism (bananas thrown on the pitch at corners, etc) and heard the chants.

A lot of things aren't as "accepted" as they were, but they are still there, you hear it. Away games were always good fun, but they ARE getting worse with drunk/coked up teens ruining games. As I said on another thread, it's pot luck whether you happen to stand near some of these pricks at away games. Frustrating and annoying when you've spent a lot of money to support your team away.

Last edited:

Skyblueweeman

I think it is a lot less violent. I've seen some frightening things over the years, particularly in the early/mid 80s, both away and at Highfield Road. I've seen the racism (bananas thrown on the pitch at corners, etc) and heard the chants.

A lot of things are as "accepted" as they were, but they are still there, you hear it. Away games were always good fun, but they ARE getting worse with drunk/coked up teens ruining games. As I said on another thread, it's pot luck whether you happen to stand near some of these pricks at away games. Frustrating and annoying when you've spent a lot of money to support your team away.
Especially I guess as you're taking your boy with you Torch.

Terry_dactyl

I’ve never really seen much trouble at games tbh even in the 80s & 90s. I remember Liverpool pelting the kop with stones/coins after we beat them 1-0, and Swindon bringing about 50 Nazis with them but nothing of note…I wasn’t at that Pompey game. I guess I’ve been lucky…and with away games too tbf.
I always thought this a bit of an anomaly as I saw plenty of trouble in Cov generally.

You used to get the waft of weed across the terraces. Coming out of some games nowadays it’s like coming out of a nightclub from back in the day…wide eyed youths( and some older) gurning away.

torchomatic

Especially I guess as you're taking your boy with you Torch.
Absolutely, Wee. When we went to Watford last week my lad said "remember that random guy we met here once?" Ha, I said I'll tell Wee he's a "random guy" when I get the chance.

Skyblueweeman

Absolutely, Wee. When we went to Watford last week my lad said "remember that random guy we met here once?" Ha, I said I'll tell Wee he's a "random guy" when I get the chance.

Ha ha, brilliant! I'm glad that I made enough of an impression for him to remember me. Even if it was as a random 😂😂

messiahrobins

The Government have just announced some initiative havent they where they will block something that clubs do financially, that has been welcomed by the EFL.
Id suggest right now clubs who have not been the PL for a decade or more might actually soon be in a much better place than many of those clubs who have been up there as it seems to me something is going on by the Government behind the scenes regarding the finances in the PL.
I know in my own profession the Government is really putting pressure on regarding source of funds.

djr8369

The Government have just announced some initiative havent they where they will block something that clubs do financially, that has been welcomed by the EFL.
Id suggest right now clubs who have not been the PL for a decade or more might actually soon be in a much better place than many of those clubs who have been up there as it seems to me something is going on by the Government behind the scenes regarding the finances in the PL.
I know in my own profession the Government is really putting pressure on regarding source of funds.
Probably they’ve finally accepted they need to limit some of the Russian money.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

A lot of things aren't as "accepted" as they were, but they are still there, you hear it. Away games were always good fun, but they ARE getting worse with drunk/coked up teens ruining games. As I said on another thread, it's pot luck whether you happen to stand near some of these pricks at away games. Frustrating and annoying when you've spent a lot of money to support your team away.

random drug wipe testing would help, and sniffer dogs around stadia too

Hobo

Plus, the obvious bias, as ‘smaller’ clubs get penalised in rapid time, while clubs like Man City get time to cover their misdeeds in as much legal loophole-age as possible. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think you understand. The allegations against Manchester City are totally different to what Everton and Nottingham Forest have been punished for. Chelsea are expected to breach the overspend rule by the end of the season so will have the same fate next season.

The Manchester City situation is totally different, involving extremely serious allegations against individual people. They have the right to defend themselves against those allegations. If you look at similar situations in the wider Business world, they are very difficult to prove and it often takes years to get an outcome.

wingy

I don't think you understand. The allegations against Manchester City are totally different to what Everton and Nottingham Forest have been punished for. Chelsea are expected to breach the overspend rule by the end of the season so will have the same fate next season.

The Manchester City situation is totally different, involving extremely serious allegations against individual people. They have the right to defend themselves against those allegations. If you look at similar situations in the wider Business world, they are very difficult to prove and it often takes years to get an outcome.
Like getting the postmasters paid out then?

skybluericoh

As is often the case the only winners are the lawyers.
I went to court as a witness on an injury at work claim. Our (defending) solicitor offered the claimant £1800 and cost's, which were already £15000 for his legal fees. More than ten times!! They lost the case anyway

Users who are viewing this thread