Pointless Football Rules (1 Viewer)

Blue Maniac

Is that just a 'sporting behaviour' thing. I think Adebayor scored for Arsenal once when he didn't know of this. I can't remember if they disallowed the goal or let the other team score. It was an FA Cup matc.
It was Arsenal v Sheffield United, long before Adebayor's days though. Kanu got the ball from the throw in, passed to Overmars instead of, as per the custom, an opponent, and the Dutchman scored. Arsenal won 2-1. Mr Wenger offered a rematch, and Arsenal won 2-1 again.

SuperCov

It was Arsenal v Sheffield United, long before Adebayor's days though. Kanu got the ball from the throw in, passed to Overmars instead of, as per the custom, an opponent, and the Dutchman scored. Arsenal won 2-1. Mr Wenger offered a rematch, and Arsenal won 2-1 again.

Yes, you're right it was Kanu not Adebayor. Totally forgot about him.

Blue Maniac

You're just being pedantic!

It's now 'impeding.' Still obstruction though! :D
That's what I thought, but I've just had a look here: http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/footb...upport/refereeing/laws-of-the-game/index.html and I can't find any reference to impeding either. In any case, the 'impeding' law only applies/applied when the ball was out of both players' range, eg both running towards the ball and one deliberately changes direction to stop or slow down the other.

Waldorf

Because there's no such offence.

It's called "Impeding the Progress of an Opponent." It is Law no.12.

Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the path of the opponent to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction by an opponent when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

shy_tall_knight

A foul in the box that prevents a clear scoring opportunity = professional foul = penalty + defender being sent off. The penalty is sufficient reward, sending off is a double punishment. Professional fouls like Willie Young on Paul Allen in the 1980 cup final was when the player was outside the box and the free kick was insufficient reward / punishment. Goalies being sent off for this can ruin a game.

cloughie

That's what I thought, but I've just had a look here: http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/footb...upport/refereeing/laws-of-the-game/index.html and I can't find any reference to impeding either. In any case, the 'impeding' law only applies/applied when the ball was out of both players' range, eg both running towards the ball and one deliberately changes direction to stop or slow down the other.

Thats what he said "Shielding" the ball out for a goal kick when you didn't have possession... why isn't this obstruction?

Blue Maniac

Thats what he said "Shielding" the ball out for a goal kick when you didn't have possession... why isn't this obstruction?
That's not what he said. If a player doesn't have possession but he's, say, two feet from the ball, then the ball is in range. If the ball is in range, the impeding law does/did not apply.

Waldorf

Then you didn't look hard enough. The actual quote from Law 12 on the site you mention is:
An indirect free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if, in the opinion of the referee, a player:

plays in a dangerous manner
impedes the progress of an opponent
prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands
commits any other offence, not previously mentioned in Law 12, for which play is stopped to caution or send off a player

If preventing an opponent from getting at the ball isn't "impeding the progress of an opponent", I don't know what is.

The law doesn't need changing, it just needs refs to enforce it properly.

oakey

The powers that be should ponder this,
30 years ago you were allowed to tackle and try to kick the ball whilst in close proximity to an opponent. If you also inadvertently kicked the side of opponent's shoe it was not a foul ... Now you would get booked + a free kick... Ridiculous.
Also if you deliberately charged into, pushed, pulled, obstructed your opponent it was a foul ... Now nothing.

The laws of the game now favour wrestlers who can run fast and kick a ball straight with one foot ... Not footballers

kg82

It's called "Impeding the Progress of an Opponent." It is Law no.12.

Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the path of the opponent to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction by an opponent when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

This law must be the least adhered to law in football! The amount of times a ball is played to a player (normally the keeper) where a defending player then steps across into the path of the advancing player is unreal!

Sharpie83

It's not a silly rule but I hate players abusing the ref. Don't get me wrong I hate refs like everyone else but calling them every name going isn't what grown men do. Think rugby has it sorted only the captain can talk to the ref and if they give abuse its a penalty why can't they introduce it into football only the captain can talk and if u give the ref shit its a free kick against them watch players soon shut up. Also I hate diving if ur caught it should b a 6 match ban and fined that amount of wages that goes into a pot for all the lower league teams 5k would b massive for a nuneaton or bedworth

Paxman II

Tha back pass to the goal keeper rule. It's ridiculous to not allow it. the new rule simply end in farcical situations where free kicks are given that may be a foot from the goal line. I have never seen the point of disallowing such a defensive passback...your goal keeper is allowed to handle the ball for goodness sake, who cares how he gets it? Changing rules to create dangerous scenarios smacks of control and does not allow for the game to progress in a natuarl manner.

3 points for a win is another. What ever was wrong with 0, 1 and 2? I don't beleive the argument it makes for greater attacking play and incentive to win. Football is a game of skills rewarded for great defending of a lead as much as a great win.

Interpreting hand ball....way to ambiguous these days.

Blue Maniac

Tha back pass to the goal keeper rule. It's ridiculous to not allow it. the new rule simply end in farcical situations where free kicks are given that may be a foot from the goal line. I have never seen the point of disallowing such a defensive passback...your goal keeper is allowed to handle the ball for goodness sake, who cares how he gets it? Changing rules to create dangerous scenarios smacks of control and does not allow for the game to progress in a natuarl manner.

3 points for a win is another. What ever was wrong with 0, 1 and 2? I don't beleive the argument it makes for greater attacking play and incentive to win. Football is a game of skills rewarded for great defending of a lead as much as a great win.
I have a sneaking suspicion you were a defender once upon a time.

Sky Blue Kid

@ Blue Maniac..

Shielding the ball is not an offence as long as the player is within 1 yard of the ball.
Football is a "No contact" sport, with the exception of the "Shoulder charge" which is still allowed in the modern game.;)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern

Interpreting hand ball....way to ambiguous these days.

Tend to agree with all Paxman has said here and yes, I was a defender / goalie in my playing days. Not too many opponents got past me as a defender! :whistle:

Sky Blue Kid

If it wasn't for the "3 points for a win" rule CCFC would have been relegated a couple of years earlier(From the Prem) remember Middlesbrough were relegated after having 3 points deducted, otherwise it would have been us! Imo, having that extra point to play for is a good incentive.

Users who are viewing this thread