Pointless Football Rules (1 Viewer)

MayallMan

After listening to 5live on the way back from Hartlepool, they came up with an idea which there going to do next week on pointless football rules, after debating that the 4th official is pointless as he has no power. Just be interested to see what gripes other city fans about the game and if they could change/get rid of 1 rule/law they deem pointless, what would it be?

hill83

Not a rule, but I'd ban all people who say if the ref doesn't give a penalty then it must be a yellow for a dive.

Maybe, just maybe, the ref thought it wasn't a penalty or a dive. Just a thought.

speedie87

I don't have a problem with the treatment rule, if the player walks off and is ready to come back on then they probably didn't need the trainer on!

The Sky Is Blue

Any contact on the keeper results in a foul. Such as if the player is stands his ground and jumps for the ball, the foul is given against him because the keeper has run a few yards and tried to catch the ball but clattered into the player and dropped it.

speedie87

What I really can't stand are the electronic sub boards that get held up! Take ages to stick the numbers in and no one can read the things!!

Bring back a manual flip board thing!!!

Blue Maniac

Technical areas, the never-enforced 6 second rule, the one that requires penalties to travel forwards for fuck's sake, and the convoluted 'phases' nonsense when determining offside.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
What I really can't stand are the electronic sub boards that get held up! Take ages to stick the numbers in and no one can read the things!!

Bring back a manual flip board thing!!!

We use yellow cards sometimes with numbers on! Our last game when we had 6 minutes injury time the card made a comeback :) couldnt figure out why though as there was a sub a short while before this was used, and the sub was shown via the electronic board. Maybe it was just the number 6 that was damaged.

I too would say the rule that means the injured player has to go off. How is that an advantage to the team that have (in most cases) just won a free kick?

Also the yellow card for taking off your shirt annoys me! You can lift a shirt but cannot take it off? Pointless!

I think the proper old school drop ball needs to come back too!

Sky Blue Kid

The offside law when play is allowed when furthest player forward "Doesn't touch the ball" but is standing in front of the keeper who cannot see the ball. He may not have touched the ball, but is interfering with play and gets away with it!
How many times have we seen goals in that situation?

CJparker

Players being "cup tied" in cup competitions if they play for one club and then move to another (even if on loan) - pointless

Sky Blue Sheepy

The offside law when play is allowed when furthest player forward "Doesn't touch the ball" but is standing in front of the keeper who cannot see the ball. He may not have touched the ball, but is interfering with play and gets away with it!
How many times have we seen goals in that situation?
Yup bring back the basic off-side - if you have any player offside and in front of the ball when it's played then offside.

ohitsaidwalker king power

Handballs and penalties given when "deliberate" cannot be reasonably concluded... over the weekend defender sliding in for tackle.... the ball contacted his hand.. ground level- Ref gave a pen....never ever deliberate... unless the player had his armed removed was completely unavoidable...:facepalm:

ohitsaidwalker king power

One more..... Flags and banners requiring fire safety certification in the Ricoh.... biggest load of tosh ever... needs removing...;) (Not the banner)

Jackoskyblue

This has happened a few times recently when keepers had the ball the ref has ran half the length of the pitch picked the ball up and dropped it back where it was originally before running all the way back again. Bugs me so much JUST PLAY ON FROM THERE !

Blue Maniac

Handballs and penalties given when "deliberate" cannot be reasonably concluded... over the weekend defender sliding in for tackle.... the ball contacted his hand.. ground level- Ref gave a pen....never ever deliberate... unless the player had his armed removed was completely unavoidable...:facepalm:
Similar thing happened to us last season away to those red folk up the road. Clueless monkey Matt Mills on the deck, ball rolls into his hand, ref points to the spot. Knob.

SkyBlue_Bear83

More of an unofficial rule but I always get annoyed when people kick it out for a throw due to an injury and the opposition gives them the ball back

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
The rule banning streakers from the pitch! :p

TheHellion

Does anybody remember the rule introduced whereby the official could move a free kick ten yards forward (or to the edge of the penalty area) for dissent? Any ideas when that was scrapped (I presume it is as it's not enforced anymore?)

Sutty

Any contact on the keeper results in a foul. Such as if the player is stands his ground and jumps for the ball, the foul is given against him because the keeper has run a few yards and tried to catch the ball but clattered into the player and dropped it.

This, as long as people realise that steady knock on the keeper's arm will most likely make him drop the ball. Players challenging in the air still have to win the ball, just like a tackle on the ground.

Does anybody remember the rule introduced whereby the official could move a free kick ten yards forward (or to the edge of the penalty area) for dissent? Any ideas when that was scrapped (I presume it is as it's not enforced anymore?)

The problem with that is you don't always get an advantage by moving the ball closer to the goal. You could give the attacking team the choice, but that might give the defending side a clue as to their intentions.

TheHellion

Always thought it was a pretty silly rule anyway Sutty. Much easier just to book the player in question, but was just asking out of curiosity more than anything as I remember it being implemented around ten years ago, but it doesn't seem to apply anymore.

The obvious problem with it for me was it made it harder to score from direct free kicks. In an entirely unanticipated way, it also punished the attacking team to some extent as you say.

Sutty

Always thought it was a pretty silly rule anyway Sutty. Much easier just to book the player in question, but was just asking out of curiosity more than anything as I remember it being implemented around ten years ago, but it doesn't seem to apply anymore.

The obvious problem with it for me was it made it harder to score from direct free kicks. In an entirely unanticipated way, it also punished the attacking team to some extent as you say.

Yep, totally agree. The intention was a good one though.

SuperCov

More of an unofficial rule but I always get annoyed when people kick it out for a throw due to an injury and the opposition gives them the ball back

Is that just a 'sporting behaviour' thing. I think Adebayor scored for Arsenal once when he didn't know of this. I can't remember if they disallowed the goal or let the other team score. It was an FA Cup matc.

The yellow card for removing your shirt is the most ludicrious rule, how does it compare with fouling someone on the pitch?

Not too sure on how the handball/penalty rule works, is it ball to hand? It's what it seems like, just has to hit the players hand/arm now. It should be if the player deliberately blocks the ball with their hand.

Brighton Sky Blue

Not a rule, but I'd ban all people who say if the ref doesn't give a penalty then it must be a yellow for a dive.

Maybe, just maybe, the ref thought it wasn't a penalty or a dive. Just a thought.

Such phenomena can often be referred to as 'tackles'.

Tad

The three biggest rules that I think are pointless are:

Yellow for taking your shirt off - why? Who are we offending? Fat people? :/

The officials that can't actually do anything but watch. Best seat in the house for doing nowt.

Its not quite a rule. But the whole "no contact" crap we have is silly to me. It's opened up the floor to so many diving, cheating players its unreal. The physical side of the game almost completely gone now cause of these new rules.

Otis

Not a rule, but one thing I hate to see is when players take the ball into the corners with just a few minutes to go to kill the game.

Don't even like it when we do it.

Surely the 'ungentlemanly conduct rule' could be applied there. It's is just plain ugly to watch and not in the spirit of the game. That's if there is any spirit left in the game at all of course.

Another rule I would want to see adhered to is players taking free kicks and throw ins from where the incident took place and not 5 yards in field up 10 yards upfield from where the incident took place.

Refs now just seem to allow players to advance the ball pretty much as much as they want.

Users who are viewing this thread