Plymouth Ratings (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

I'm going to try and defend the supposed indefensible. When the ball that came into Godden for his glaring miss, he was a fraction out with his timing for the header, and when he made contact it had already moved across his forehead. When he made contact, it just contrived to carry the ball in its direction of travel. He couldn't have done anything else other than have arrived a fraction earlier or flung himself at the ball to make better contact. Agreed it looked awful, though - particularly given the absence of opposition players in the vicinity. Those saying 'it's the end' 'he's shit' are idiots, as are those who were saying the same about Simms and Wright.

Otis

I'm going to try and defend the supposed indefensible. When the ball that came into Godden for his glaring miss, he was a fraction out with his timing for the header, and when he made contact it had already moved across his forehead. When he made contact, it just contrived to carry the ball in its direction of travel. He couldn't have done anything else other than have arrived a fraction earlier or flung himself at the ball to make better contact. Agreed it looked awful, though - particularly given the absence of opposition players in the vicinity. Those saying 'it's the end' 'he's shit' are idiots, as are those who were saying the same about Simms and Wright.
It was a bounce he wasn't expecting for sure. Still a terrible miss though.

I won't slate him as a player though. He's been a great servant to the club and I do believe he still has a few goals in him left.

I don't think he's shit, I just think he's incredibly out of form right now.

Grendel

View attachment 34064

If these stats, the missed chances, the deflection on their second, and Plymouth having scored more goals at home than everyone apart from Southampton, adds up to 'abject' in your mind, that confuses me.

Robins was unhappy with the performance - said it was very sloppy especially the second half.

olderskyblue

Really?

It's how Plymouth play. My son in law to be is a Plymouth supporter. I've seen a few of their games this season. When we made our pre game predictions I said there would be goals for both sides and that Whittaker would be a handful. They made our defence look very average. But that's what they do. But they're not that good at the back.

You could say a good side might have got 5 against them. We certainly had our chances. We kept them to 4 shots on target and their second goal was a massive deflection.

I said before the game I would be happy with a point. I'm still happy with a point. That's another one of our harder games out if the way and still in the top 6.
my point was that we gave them too many good opportunities to score, for a team with expectations of getting in the top 6 and staying there.

we dominated the game and yet to me it’s worrying how sloppy we were.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Obviously Goddens header was the stand out miss but his technique for the 1v1 was also just really weird.
In the ground I thought although a great chance, it was 'one of those', where he's done enough but the keeper made himself big and it's a little unlucky. A little more composure and he lifts it and its a goal. On watching it back this morning from the highlights, I don't even think it's going in if the keeper doesn't make a save. Very odd.

SAJ

Must be hard for Robins to give Godden a back seat after how he has helped us to get where we are and after the start of the season he had. But tonight must have proved to him it's time to let go.
Don’t think it will be. Robins had shown he is not sentimental at all irrespective of your past. Grimmer is a good example.

Reactions: PVA

Bidda

What about Wright’s chance which the defender slid across and blocked? Had he moved the ball to the right slightly, or done a di Stefano-type pull-back, the defender would have slid past, leaving Wright with a clear sight of goal.

olderskyblue

Think the stats from the match prove otherwise Plymouth 4 shots in target Cov 7
stats are deceiving. They had a particular chance where there guy was alone on the pen spot, and blasted over. Easier to score, but that shows as not on target of course, as does Godden’s header…

fernandopartridge

What about Wright’s chance which the defender slid across and blocked? Had he moved the ball to the right slightly, or done a di Stefano-type pull-back, the defender would have slid past, leaving Wright with a clear sight of goal.

Wright had a couple of opportunities where he was a bit tentative and probably could have done better. One of them mind was from another poorly executed pass from Palmer, very similar position to O'Hare v Millwall yet the pass wasn't into Wright's stride.

torchomatic

It was a bounce he wasn't expecting for sure. Still a terrible miss though.

I won't slate him as a player though. He's been a great servant to the club and I do believe he still has a few goals in him left.

I don't think he's shit, I just think he's incredibly out of form right now.
Godden is definitely more instinctive. Wright and Simms tend to overthink things, especially Simms. He's better when he reacts rather having time to weigh up his options. As I said I'm really pleased he got a goal last night. I really like Simms.

mmttww

Robins was unhappy with the performance - said it was very sloppy especially the second half.

Yeah, but he's being heard by a slightly different audience and I'm sure he's aware of that when thinking about what to say. Not quite the same thing as a fan giving an opinion on a forum.

Boicey

Robins certainly doesn’t sound happy at the moment, especially around January recruitment.
I suspect he was told he could get a few in and he got one. Now he’s managing a bit of a mess after some injuries.
Robins is certainly doing his job at getting punters in. I hope he gets full support from Doug.

SeaSeeEffCee

Robins certainly doesn’t sound happy at the moment, especially around January recruitment.
I suspect he was told he could get a few in and he got one. Now he’s managing a bit of a mess after some injuries.
Robins is certainly doing his job at getting punters in. I hope he gets full support from Doug.
The past two weeks probably been the moodiest he’s been in his whole time here. Hopefully not a sign of trouble behind the scenes.

Astute

my point was that we gave them too many good opportunities to score, for a team with expectations of getting in the top 6 and staying there.

we dominated the game and yet to me it’s worrying how sloppy we were.
We gave them chances or they made their chances?

Do you really think we should play away against sides with very good home form and limit their chances when they've managed to score 3 goals in 40% of their home games?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

As someone who was sceptical of Doug - he is getting full support, he’s spent 25m. It’s on MR now to get this squad to where we need to be. No need to start moaning

NorthernWisdom

My thoughts entirely. Already delivering in the Championship, which is more than we could reasonably expect, and a godsend considering the injuries to Sheaf and Allen.
Yeah I thought this season would be bedding in, and just used from time to time; maybe the injuries have thrown him in a bit quicker and he's risen to it?

Is quite the thought though if he won't hit the ground running until next season!

The Philosopher

There are some harsh ratings at the start of this thread!

Anyway, ? for Bidwell and ? for DaSilva first half doesn't help with popping ratings on, anybody who ventured out to our left got lost in a haze of murky camerawork.

Simms dials everything up to 11 with his finishing doesn't he - not much in the way of subtlety, just blast it!

Torp does look surprisingly good surprisingly quickly.
Toro banging in a screamer on his debut probably settled him a bit quicker.

Johhny Blue

I think he was frustrated as it’s not often we don’t move up a gear for the second half. I don’t have the stats but in my opinion he’s great at analyzing a first half performance, spotting opposition weaknesses and motivating players at half time.
Anyone volunteer to go back a couple of seasons and compare 0-45 to 46 -90+?

olderskyblue

We gave them chances or they made their chances?

Do you really think we should play away against sides with very good home form and limit their chances when they've managed to score 3 goals in 40% of their home games?
Leeds played them a couple of weeks ago, how did they get on?

oh, if we expect to win, we have to limit their chances surely. I thought that was one of the basics of football tbh.

PVA

I think he was frustrated as it’s not often we don’t move up a gear for the second half. I don’t have the stats but in my opinion he’s great at analyzing a first half performance, spotting opposition weaknesses and motivating players at half time.
Anyone volunteer to go back a couple of seasons and compare 0-45 to 46 -90+?

This season:
First half table - we are 9th
Second half table - 4th

Last season:
First half - 14th
Second half - 6th

Season before:
First half - 21st
Second half - 8th

Definitely a 2nd half team!

Boicey

As someone who was sceptical of Doug - he is getting full support, he’s spent 25m. It’s on MR now to get this squad to where we need to be. No need to start moaning
Post in thread 'Confirmed Ins and Outs 2023/2024 Summer'
Match Thread - Confirmed Ins and Outs 2023/2024 Summer

Confirmed Ins and Outs 2023/2024 Summer​

I've finally got around to updating the list after a couple of weeks away.

Estimated Sales are £37m
Estimated Spend is £26m
Estimated Balance +£11.9m

Johhny Blue

This season:
First half table - we are 9th
Second half table - 4th

Last season:
First half - 14th
Second half - 6th

Season before:
First half - 21st
Second half - 8th

Definitely a 2nd half team!
Good information but I was looking at game management over 90 mins
Edit: re reading your thread maybe that’s what you meant. I read it as first and second half of the season

PVA

Good information but I was looking at game management over 90 mins
Edit: re reading your thread maybe that’s what you meant. I read it as first and second half of the season

Yep it's 90 mins 👍🏻

So if the games were 0-45 mins and if they were 45-90, i.e. first half performance and second half performance.

Astute

Leeds played them a couple of weeks ago, how did they get on?

oh, if we expect to win, we have to limit their chances surely. I thought that was one of the 1 of football tbh.
It's Plymouth v Leeds next game 😆😂

You must be on about the FA Cup replay game. 1-1 after 90 minutes if you would like to compare it to a league game. The first game was at Leeds. That finished 1-1 after 90 minutes.

Let's start again.

Plymouth strong at home. Not very good away. We played at Plymouth.

Plymouth haven't lost at home in the league since October. They've scored lots of goals and let lots of goals in. They beat Norwich 6-2 at home.

You can't just look at the table and expect a win because a side is mid table. You saw for yourself Whittaker is a handful. Were you one of those who expected easy games away at Sheffield Wednesday?

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Post in thread 'Confirmed Ins and Outs 2023/2024 Summer'
Match Thread - Confirmed Ins and Outs 2023/2024 Summer

Confirmed Ins and Outs 2023/2024 Summer​

I've finally got around to updating the list after a couple of weeks away.

Estimated Sales are £37m
Estimated Spend is £26m
Estimated Balance +£11.9m
The squad still has 26m spent on it.

If Rotherham for instance spent 26m they’d expect to be around the play offs

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

You could see it like that or you could see it as a combined loss to the squad of £11m
No you can’t or you’d look at Southampton and say their combined squad loss was £165m, Norwich squad is 20m down, West Brom is 9m down and haven’t spent a penny - we’ve lost two premier league calibre players but take a team with no players. If you spend 26m on it. You’d expect a squad competing.

now if we’d only spent 5m trying to put a squad together I’d agree with you but we’re one of the highest spenders in the league

PUSB-We_are_going_up

I was actually impressed with Godden’s link up play, he missed that stupid chance but he actually got the ball and moved it forward and didnt look anonymous at least so not as poor as people are saying but that chance was on a plate and he dhould have scored

olderskyblue

It's Plymouth v Leeds next game 😆😂

You must be on about the FA Cup replay game. 1-1 after 90 minutes if you would like to compare it to a league game. The first game was at Leeds. That finished 1-1 after 90 minutes.

Let's start again.

Plymouth strong at home. Not very good away. We played at Plymouth.

Plymouth haven't lost at home in the league since October. They've scored lots of goals and let lots of goals in. They beat Norwich 6-2 at home.

You can't just look at the table and expect a win because a side is mid table. You saw for yourself Whittaker is a handful. Were you one of those who expected easy games away at Sheffield Wednesday?
You seem to be missing something. I never said I expected us to win, I said IF we expected to win, we have to limit their chances. That’s basic football, and it seems to be escaping you. Their record at home only dictates how MR chooses to set the team up, but if they score lots of goals regularly, the very first thing he would do is try to limit their chances. I’m not sure what bit of this is confusing you.

you have to limit their chances as much as possible, it’s as simple as that. Even you must be able to grasp this, surely. It’s the same in every game we play.

reference the Leeds game, how Many did they score at home in the cup Match?

Astute

You seem to be missing something. I never said I expected us to win, I said IF we expected to win, we have to limit their chances. That’s basic football, and it seems to be escaping you. Their record at home only dictates how MR chooses to set the team up, but if they score lots of goals regularly, the very first thing he would do is try to limit their chances. I’m not sure what bit of this is confusing you.

you have to limit their chances as much as possible, it’s as simple as that. Even you must be able to grasp this, surely. It’s the same in every game we play.
Me missing something?

They have one of if not the best player in Whittaker. He constantly rips sides apart. He isn't easy to stop. They haven't lost at home since October. They only managed 4 shots on target. They have scored more than 2 goals in 40% of their home games. They scored 6 against Norwich.

Do you really think we didn't try to stop them from having chances? Do you think their other opponents haven't tried to stop them from having chances?

Users who are viewing this thread