Players 'screaming' for free kicks (1 Viewer)

Sky Blue Harry H

During yesterday's game against Swansea, there was an incident about 10 mins from time, when a Swansea player by the left touchline in our half tried to shield the ball out for a throw in and our player put his leg around their player and kept it in play. Their player stumbled over and screamed and the ref gave a free kick. The (neutral) commentator said 'I didn't see much wrong there' or words to that effect. the ref gave the kick based on the fall/scream. I just wondered - with the lack of crowds - whether the 'scream' effect currently forces a knee jerk response in a lot of refs (as obviously some of these screams would be 'muted' by general crowd noise in normal circumstances). On a side note, did anybody else think that was a bit of an orchestrated mobbing of the referee at the supposed elbow incident (where he booked their player, not ours). if so, cynical and unsporting to say the least.

Last edited:

PUSB-We_are_going_up

During yesterday's game against Swansea, there was an incident about 10 mins from time, when a Swansea player by the left touchline in our half tried to shield the ball out for a throw in and our player put his leg around their player and kept it in play. Their player stumbled over and screamed and the ref gave a free kick. The (neutral) commentator said 'I didn't see much wrong there' or words to that effect. the ref gave the kick based on the fall/scream. I just wondered - with the lack of crowds - whether the 'scream' effect currently forces a knee jerk response in a lot of refs (as obviously some of these screams would be 'muted' by general crowd noise in normal circumstances. On a side note, did anybody else think that was a bit of an orchestrated mobbing of the referee at the supposed elbow incident (where he booked their player, not ours). if so, cynical and unsporting to say the least.
You can see Refs are being more generous in some situations probably down to the lack of crowd noise and players manipulating in a way as they are able to run around after wards

larry_david

It's utterly embarrassing tbh. Mccallum kept the ball in with ease at the end and two of their players jumped up and down screaming. I wish we'd be be more aggressive and cocky back. When they start screaming like women I'd mock em or say something. Wind them up.

If I screamed playing 6 aside like they all do I'd get laughed off the pitch. Why don't more players laugh at them and take the piss!?

Esoterica

I still can't get over the one in the first half where McCallum got his yellow. On his 3rd roll he jumped about 1 metre up in the air.

SBT

I think it’s overblown tbh. It’s very unusual to us, hearing player shouts for the first time, but it will be commonplace for refs who have been taking charge of reserve/youth games behind closed doors for years. I don’t see how they’re suddenly more likely to be swayed by players appealing for stuff now. Nor do I see how players shouting for fouls is more persuasive than thousands of fans shouting for the same fouls when we were back inside the stadium.

jordan210

basically every team we play. have played the ref. yet we never do.

We need to be screaming for everything. Any contact in the box go down.

Last edited:

Dickie

During yesterday's game against Swansea, there was an incident about 10 mins from time, when a Swansea player by the left touchline in our half tried to shield the ball out for a throw in and our player put his leg around their player and kept it in play. Their player stumbled over and screamed and the ref gave a free kick. The (neutral) commentator said 'I didn't see much wrong there' or words to that effect. the ref gave the kick based on the fall/scream. I just wondered - with the lack of crowds - whether the 'scream' effect currently forces a knee jerk response in a lot of refs (as obviously some of these screams would be 'muted' by general crowd noise in normal circumstances. On a side note, did anybody else think that was a bit of an orchestrated mobbing of the referee at the supposed elbow incident (where he booked their player, not ours). if so, cynical and unsporting to say the least.

Swansea are terrible at bullying the refs into submission. They fall for it nearly every time. It’s like they think - oh, they must be right they’re making such a fuss. Makes you wonder why the officials before game don’t brush up on what sort of play acting teams do and consider that during games

Dickie

Ayew is an incredible human being. When someone breathes on him he falls over rolling 17 times but when he's got the ball and someone tries to out muscle him, he holds them off.

He's a medical marvel, they should study him really

Utter cheat. Embarrassing. But it works unfortunately

Nick

Administrator
The worst thing was, we stood by and let them do it.

Baka came on and got involved, very submissive players.

Lets face it, people wouldn't have moaned if Ohare got a penalty when he dived. I wouldn't have if we won the game from it.

larry_david

I think it's partly why mccallum and then osti put them into row z. You wanna roll around crying, here ya go. Bang

Sky Blue Harry H

Lets face it, people wouldn't have moaned if Ohare got a penalty when he dived. I wouldn't have if we won the game from it.

You must love Osti then, Nick (as do I); he literally looks and acts as though he is itching for a scrap every time we have a corner; particularly if it's one of those that takes an age due to pushing, shoving, grappling. Refs really do cop out on making any sort of decisions during those.

Nick

Administrator
You must love Osti then, Nick (as do I); he literally looks and acts as though he is itching for a scrap every time we have a corner; particularly if it's one of those that takes an age due to pushing, shoving, grappling. Refs really do cop out on making any sort of decisions during those.

Yeah but he is still pretty passive most of the time.

We stood by and let them time waste and roll around and then let the ref just accept it.

Liquid Gold

It was particularly nasty when they claimed an elbow after their player bought ours down. That sort of shit should come under the banner of 'bringing the game into disrepute' and harshly punished. A few warnings in case players get the wrong end of the stick and are just sticking up for their team mate but if it's regular it needs to be stamped out.

The ref last night was weak as piss, he needed to control the game more as it got out of hand but there must have been those comments on his mind.

The whole incident with Darren Drysdale has bought what refs have to put up with into focus. They should tell them that anything that isn't respectful should be a booking. Ayew screamed at the ref for a good 20 seconds from a few yards away and nothing happened - book him, the Swansea players completely surrounded the ref a couple of times after he'd already blown - book them all. After a few weeks of crazy cards, sending offs and results they'd get the message. The FA should bring in much higher penalties for bookings that come from dissent with this too, say 10% of a players gross weekly wage.

SBT

More importantly, you need to be in the other team's area to do it. I think that's the main reason we don't get as many penalties.

stevefloyd

During yesterday's game against Swansea, there was an incident about 10 mins from time, when a Swansea player by the left touchline in our half tried to shield the ball out for a throw in and our player put his leg around their player and kept it in play. Their player stumbled over and screamed and the ref gave a free kick. The (neutral) commentator said 'I didn't see much wrong there' or words to that effect. the ref gave the kick based on the fall/scream. I just wondered - with the lack of crowds - whether the 'scream' effect currently forces a knee jerk response in a lot of refs (as obviously some of these screams would be 'muted' by general crowd noise in normal circumstances). On a side note, did anybody else think that was a bit of an orchestrated mobbing of the referee at the supposed elbow incident (where he booked their player, not ours). if so, cynical and unsporting to say the least.
To be fair the ref was welsh voice activated last night

stevefloyd

I still can't get over the one in the first half where McCallum got his yellow. On his 3rd roll he jumped about 1 metre up in the air.
Best quote was its a wonder they dont get whiplash how quick they throw themselves to the ground....made I larf

shmmeee

Can someone tell me what the rule is on shoulder barges as well?

Hamer gets done all the time for barging people off the ball, yet apparently a two hand shove on Dacosta in the area isn’t a pen.

When are you allowed to use your strength and when aren’t you?

Nick

Administrator
Can someone tell me what the rule is on shoulder barges as well?

Hamer gets done all the time for barging people off the ball, yet apparently a two hand shove on Dacosta in the area isn’t a pen.

When are you allowed to use your strength and when aren’t you?

Refs make it up as they go along.

Johhny Blue

I don’t think it was a dive

Users who are viewing this thread