Players of the Season (So far!) (1 Viewer)

Player of the Season? (So far!)

• 1. Joe Murphy

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 8. Carl Baker

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • 11. Gary McSheffrey

• 12. Steven Jennings

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • 21. Cyrus Christie

• 24. Richard Wood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 25. William Edjenguele

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • 31. Davd McGoldrick

Votes: 48 58.5%
  • 32. Franck Moussa

• 38. James Bailey

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CCFC_Charlie

Saw this on a forum for wider footballing discussion and thought it might be worth while bringing it over here, so who has been our top three performers so far this season and why?

Mine would be:

David McGoldrick - Undisputed. Been a class act since he came in, brings much more to the team than just goals. Will be a tough task keeping him in January.

Carl Baker - Improved significantly since being made the captain, has the ability to turn any defender in this league inside out on his day. Passionate and loves the club too.

William Edjenguele - Unheard of by pretty much everyone in England before we signed him from Greek Second Division side Panetolikos but been an absolute rock recently at the back and a nice bloke off it too.

Honourable mentions to Cyrus Christie, James Bailey and Joe Murphy.

dongonzalos

Saw this on a forum for wider footballing discussion and thought it might be worth while bringing it over here, so who has been our top three performers so far this season and why?

Mine would be:

David McGoldrick - Undisputed. Been a class act since he came in, brings much more to the team than just goals. Will be a tough task keeping him in January.

Carl Baker - Improved significantly since being made the captain, has the ability to turn any defender in this league inside out on his day. Passionate and loves the club too.

William Edjenguele - Unheard of by pretty much everyone in England before we signed him from Greek Second Division side Panetolikos but been an absolute rock recently at the back and a nice bloke off it too.

Honourable mentions to Cyrus Christie, James Bailey and Joe Murphy.

Agree and Barton for a professional attitude.

The only one of the new signings that commanded a fee.

Only gets cameos here and there yet hasn't spat his dummy out and makes the most out of the cameos.

Impressed me with his attitude and natural ability

rob9872

Many improved under robins. Clearly he can motivate so if the worst happens we may have others in squad. I'm not worried and we will make play offs. Also credit to thorn as dome if those he scouted clearly were good enough, so despite being a useless manager may not have list that knack to spot the player, just how to get the best out of them and hopefully we will bear the fruits of that still.

ricohman

Many improved under robins. Clearly he can motivate so if the worst happens we may have others in squad. I'm not worried and we will make play offs. Also credit to thorn as dome if those he scouted clearly were good enough, so despite being a useless manager may not have list that knack to spot the player, just how to get the best out of them and hopefully we will bear the fruits of that still.

Very good point about thorns signings

dongonzalos

Agree DMC, Edge, Fleck, jennings and Barton seem quality to me.
AT was behind Murphy and Baker.
I have a feeling Malaga would be good if called upon but it doesn't seem he is MR's cup of tea.
Credit where credit is due and not often given towards AT at the moment. He just seems to be there as cannon fodder

Mucca Mad Boys

I chose Bailey, been excellent in the middle, contributing massively defensively and attackingly (assists), deserves the plaudits coming his way.

I would choose McGOALdrick, but it's too obvious, he has been POTY for CCFC.

pw362

I chose Bailey, been excellent in the middle, contributing massively defensively and attackingly (assists), deserves the plaudits coming his way.

I would choose McGOALdrick, but it's too obvious, he has been POTY for CCFC.
My fear is that Bailey won't be here in the new year because Derby didn't let him play in the FA cup games.

Grendel

The team has improved mainly by 4 key signings mcgoldrick, moussa, bailey and Adams. We may lose all of them in the New Year.

Baker clearly is a league one player - unfortunately he was signed as a championship player which is clearly beyond him.

Grendel

Is the same true of DMC then?

Evidence suggests that may be the case. His record in the league above is not so great. It is impossible to argue against the case for baker. He played nearly 100 championship games and made a positive impact in very few.

Sky Blues

Evidence suggests that may be the case. His record in the league above is not so great. It is impossible to argue against the case for baker. He played nearly 100 championship games and made a positive impact in very few.

Are you saying if Thorn couldn't get the best out of him in the Championship, no one can?! :eek:
;)

stupot07

Tbf Swiss, he didn't really do it under Coleman or boothroud either other than the odd late cameo, and as impressive as he has been this season we are now playing in a lower league.

Can we just concentrate about being in league one an worry about the championship I we actually get there?!

Last edited:

Grendel

Tbf Swiss, he didn't really do it under Coleman or boothroud either other than the odd late cameo, and as impressive as he has been this season we are now playing in a lower league.

Can we just concentrate about being in league one an worry about the championship I we actually get there?!

Precisely it wasn't an anti thorn comment more an observation regarding baker. His game also has improved with the introduction of better players in midfield.

torchomatic

For me, there are a few highlights:

McG for his goals
Jennings for his tireless work ethic
Blair Adams for being a revelation at left back
Edj - for being rock solid in defence
Moussa - thought he was pretty ordinary at first but he's been excellent for the last six or seven weeks
Baker - for chipping in with the goals

Mucca Mad Boys

McG for his goals
Moussa - thought he was pretty ordinary at first but he's been excellent for the last six or seven weeks

What about Bailey?

torchomatic

Agree with that too. He's obviously doing something right in training and has made the players believe in themselves.

They must be doing Ok as they haven't been booed at the Ricoh for a while.

Never mind the players,robins should get all the praise imo.

As much as we have been scoring Goals, our rock solid defence has been keeping them out at the other end. For that Reason I have voted for our rock solid U2 Member, THE EDGE.

All people seem to recognise is that Goldie is netting quite alot, no one realises how few we have conceeded recently from open play.

And Baker, most improved but if he was new to the club no-one would be saying anymore than what has been said above regards Moussa.

Mucca Mad Boys

As much as we have been scoring Goals, our rock solid defence has been keeping them out at the other end. For that Reason I have voted for our rock solid U2 Member, THE EDGE.

All people seem to recognise is that Goldie is netting quite alot, no one realises how few we have conceeded recently from open play.

And Baker, most improved but if he was new to the club no-one would be saying anymore than what has been said above regards Moussa.

I wouldn't agree entirely with that, we've conceded in our last 4 league games. If we got promoted, I think we should look to sign a CB, or hope Cameron or Willis can step up (and be better).

EDIT: I put 'n't' on 'would', I forgot, my bad, thanks to Rich for pointing it out.

Last edited:

torchomatic

Mucca Mad Boys

Oh yeah, forgot about him. He's been great too.

He's probably been the difference on midfield this year, has defensive qualities, as well as being able on the ball, his assists have been great, all splitting the defence open, or for Barton's goal, a lovely tee up!

I think he and Jennings compliment each other well, Jennings isn't great on the ball, attacking wise, he plays simple balls, either away from danger, or to a better man, as well as being a pitbull in the middle of the park!

Brighton Sky Blue

For the first dozen or so games we were shipping goals for fun-which I think was more to do with a lack of familiarity between the back 4 than anything. Particularly with Robins encouraging full backs to get forward more often, the centre backs are being given more responsibility and they seem to be handling it a good deal better.

I would agree entirely with that, we've conceded in our last 4 league games. If we got promoted, I think we should look to sign a CB, or hope Cameron or Willis can step up (and be better).

Do you agree or not? Seems weird that you agree, but think we need to buy more CB to replace/add to our current crop?

For the first dozen or so games we were shipping goals for fun-which I think was more to do with a lack of familiarity between the back 4 than anything. Particularly with Robins encouraging full backs to get forward more often, the centre backs are being given more responsibility and they seem to be handling it a good deal better.

At the moment Edge is much like Keogh last season, you just know nothing is getting past him.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

Do you agree or not? Seems weird that you agree, but think we need to buy more CB to replace/add to our current crop?

If we got promoted, I feel we need a CB to step up or be brought in. We're good enough for L1

covcity4life

edge,wood,cameron,brown and malaga - no more cb for league 1

i still wanna see malaga get a chance(dont want wanna see wood & edge broken up tho lol)

aloisiwouldhavescored

McG for his goals

Agree with all that Torch. Well said.

Mucca Mad Boys

edge,wood,cameron,brown and malaga - no more cb for league 1

i still wanna see malaga get a chance(dont want wanna see wood & edge broken up tho lol)

I agree, for L1, leave as it is, but if we got promoted, I feel we'd need to bolster the defence, CB, a LB, hopefully Adams, ideally, a cover LB, possibly a winger or ST.

*Rich impression: it's though, not tho, my 5 year nephew can spell better than you. Lol what is this, this is?

Users who are viewing this thread