Player stats 23/24 (2 Viewers)

Nuskyblue

How do you get that from those stats? 😂

That is textbook, reading whatever you want from a statistic. MR has mentioned it enough times that our defending hasn’t been good enough, giving up 9 shots in the box against Ipswich is not all Collins fault.

Our defending last season was so much better and we had Ben Wilson in goal who equally had the ‘doesn’t command his area’ trope thrown his way. In fact, the only goalie in years gone by who has had control of it was Stockdale according to fans.
I come to that conclusion due to the same defenders playing but looking more shaky with one in net than the other
Wilson will have played behind a back 5 for more games, Colin's came in around the time we started playing four at the back didn't he. We'd have been more open because of this.

We actually played OK at the start of the season despite the points return.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I think Eccles has had a decent season but at least 2 of his assists were from the 7,000 corners he took at the start of the season.

It's a fair point, but at least he has some assists. The one for Wright's goal a few weeks ago was lovely. There's a few other midfielders that have none, or next to none in the assist category. I know this metric can be hard to measure sometimes, but we need better supply on that next year.

TomRad85

2goals last season, perfection,if they were scored by hamer or Sheaf that's all, I think Sheaf managed 4this or last year!
Eccles is averaging 1 a season, which let's be honest, is rubbish. I think Sheaf should chip in with more too tbh but even he is ahead of Eccles.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

CCFCSteve

Doesn't help the argument of the Eccles haters either. Third most assists coming from our holding midfielder, but they didn't see any of those so they don't count.

His stats across the board are impressive. Key passes, assists, passing accuracy, tackles won and average rating. All on top of the fact that he’s played second most number of minutes

I’ve given up on those that just don’t see what a good player he is. Great season

Grendel

Top assisters:
1.Haji Wright 7
1. Kasey Palmer 7
3. Josh Eccles 6
4. Milan van Ewijk 5
4. Jay Dasilva 5

That can't be right. Palmer has no end product and Dasilva is the worst player ever.

I guess if we are playing Maidstone next season things will be fine. Palmer is dross and Dasilva I don’t think anyone has labelled worst player ever have they?

skybluecam

Most minutes played
1. Bobby Thomas 3759
2. Josh Eccles 3288
3. Milan van Ewijk 3102
4. Haji Wright 2969
5. Ellis Simms 2728

Assuming this includes FA cup (goals scored does), then it seems a relatively modest total for the most active players in the squad. 42 games for Thomas and only 30 for Simms. There should have been plenty in the tank to cover the fixture congestion towards the end of the season.
That doesn’t include FA Cup, it’s Championship only. Thomas has played 4,130 mins this season, the equivalent of 46 90s.

Mucca Mad Boys

Wilson will have played behind a back 5 for more games, Colin's came in around the time we started playing four at the back didn't he. We'd have been more open because of this.

There’s that and we defended way better as a team last season. Collins has had a bad end to the season and that’s took the focus away from our defensive effort as a whole.

Our defence hasn’t been good enough compared to last season, even when we played 3-4-1-2. We concede too chances as a team and MR knows that, he’s mentioned it several times now. Hence, we apparently want to sign 2 CBs and an LB this summer (according to Saddles).

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Eccles is averaging 1 a season, which let's be honest, is rubbish. I think Sheaf should chip in with more too tbh but even he is ahead of Eccles.

Eccles needs to up his scoring game for sure. That would be one target for him. Looking at assists though, he's contributing well even with a few corners sprinkled in. Other midfielders assist wise: Torp, Kelly, Allen on 1 (none of them have played that much). Sheaf: 0.

Need more creativity from midfield next season as well as goals. That was something we were blessed with Hamer.

TomRad85

Eccles needs to up his scoring game for sure. That would be one target for him. Looking at assists though, he's contributing well even with a few corners sprinkled in. Other midfielders assist wise: Torp, Kelly, Allen on 1 (none of them have played that much). Sheaf: 0.

Need more creativity from midfield next season as well as goals. That was something we were blessed with Hamer.

Well I agree with you on this, personally I find Sheaf and Eccles playing together a bit, I think bland is harsh, but you know what I mean... safe maybe.
For me it's one or the other, and a Hamer type.

Hertsccfc

He's a holding midfield player. No one complains about Bidwell's scoring record

TomRad85

He's a holding midfield player. No one complains about Bidwell's scoring record
I know you thinking Eccles is the second coming is a bit of a forum meme now. Again everyone has their favourites so whatever, fair play to you... but his goalscoring is crap, he doesn't sit in the middle all game long and will often find himself on the edge of the box. This is his shooting... Screenshot_20240507_164446_Chrome.jpg

Skybluekyle

Interesting. Sheaf: lots of passing (as we know) but a lot of them go astray (as we also know). Those numbers also indicate Collins is by far the better keeper out of the two.
I think a helpful comparison after attempted passes would be the amount of progressive/forward passes, as this would give a better representation, as forward passes are obviously much more likely to be intercepted than sideways or backwards passes.

TomRad85

I had to find them through different sites as I was struggling to find shot stats for Eccles in this one but here are Sheafs for comparison... Screenshot_20240507_164751_Chrome.jpg

shmmeee

I think a helpful comparison after attempted passes would be the amount of progressive/forward passes, as this would give a better representation, as forward passes are obviously much more likely to be intercepted than sideways or backwards passes.

Sheaf:

IMG_1143.png

Eccles:

IMG_1144.png

Palmer:

IMG_1145.png

O’Hare:

IMG_1146.png

Torp:

IMG_1147.png

TomRad85

I complain a out Bidwells scoring record :(
Yeh I think when we were playing wing backs you'd hope they'd chip in more than Bidwell was. As traditional full backs, it would be nice but I'd not really expect it too much. Assists yes.

Hobo

Eccles has really improved this season and no reason why he can't improve further next year, just like Gyokeres, Hamer and Sheaf has improved over time.

People moan about his corners and crosses which have been mixed. But he is also sometimes the victim of good defending. I can often see what he is trying to to achieve.

Eccles and Sheaf are guilty of going for power in shooting rather than hit the target (but a common problem even in Premier League).

I think Eccles has the potential to be as good if not better than Sheaf.

wingy

Yeh I think when we were playing wing backs you'd hope they'd chip in more than Bidwell was. As traditional full backs, it would be nice but I'd not really expect it too much. Assists yes.

Get bobby Mac back,knew where the net was, must have been a wingback early doors him!

The watchmaker

Not sure that argument checks out. We were shocking at the beginning of the season when we played a 5. Then settled down a bit when we moved to a back 4 with MvE, Thomas, Kitching and Bidwell looking solid for a spell.

Not sure we should read too much into these keeping stats as there are many different factors at play. An expected saves stat might be interesting but to be honest we have seen them both play as have Robins/Adi etc and it is a position they will be looking at ahead of next season.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I often find the stats used quite arbitrary. For example why is stuff like shooting and passing done as percentages, but aerial duels is just a number. Surely the thing you want to know is how likely they are to win the duel?

blunted

Our central midfielders need to score more next season now Callum is almost certainly leaving.
The ability is there, so it is probably all in the head.
Denis Mortimer couldn't hit a barn door at the City. Scored way more at (Shit on the) Villa.

Nuskyblue

Not sure that argument checks out. We were shocking at the beginning of the season when we played a 5. Then settled down a bit when we moved to a back 4 with MvE, Thomas, Kitching and Bidwell looking solid for a spell.

Not sure we should read too much into these keeping stats as there are many different factors at play. An expected saves stat might be interesting but to be honest we have seen them both play as have Robins/Adi etc and it is a position they will be looking at ahead of next season.
I think it does, we weren't bad, I'm fairness we weren't great either but were definitely better than our points return. There were a lot of games where we had the better chances but still contrived to draw or loose. Our miss firing front line, partly to blame. We seemed to be less error prone at the back also.

The games against Sunderland, Norwich, Watford and Huddersfield all spring to mind.

But yea not much in the stats. I think Colins is better but he has lost his confidence. Not to dissimilar to Moore in his first season. Hopefully it does not continue into next season!

stupot07

Think so. Think he could have had a couple more off the right if he was braver. I still feel he’s lacking in confidence in some areas.
He tries to break the net too much. The one he skied on Saturday he should have buried but tried to smash it into next week.

Users who are viewing this thread