Doyle - 7
Bayliss - 6.5
Shipley - 7
Thomas - 6

Chaplin - 7.5 MOTM
JCH - 7

Sterling - 5

Nonleagueherewecome

Burge. 5. Didn't do much but was bullied at every corner. Could of scored from one earlier, was only a matter of time.
Grimmer. 6. Didn't do much before he was bought of but earns an extra point because he dropped his shoulder and turned a player on the halfway line who then audibly called him a c**t
Hyam and Willis. 6.5. Done a job. Both headed well.
Brown. 6. Didn't do much. Was lucky to stay on the pitch I thought. Challenge was high, uncontrolled and reckless. On another day (with a decent ref) he'd walk for that.
Doyle. 6. His passing is awful. Think he got away with a lot last season but he's being highlighted in a better league. Difficult one for me as we need a leader on the pitch but he looks slow and out of his depth.
Bayliss. 6.5. Love his runs on the ball. Great to get us out of our half when under pressure, but really needs to learn when to release the ball at the end of the run instead of eventually running into dead ends and losing the ball.
Thomas. 6. Not his best of games today.
Shipley. 6.5. Needless foul getting a booking so early on. Look suspect to getting a 2nd yellow from then on. He was targeted by them for diving and drawing in fouls. Made 2 goals though so credit where it's due.
JCH. 5.5 I don't get how somebody as big and strong as him doesn't win a single header?!?! Baffling.
Chaplin. 6.5. Good movement. Should of scored a couple but given time he'll score plenty. Will only get better.

Sterling. 5.5 rarely in the game. Forgot he was playing tbf.
Ogogo/Andrue N/A.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

To be fair, I can think of least 4 headers that JCH won. One was in the build up to the first goal and one was from a throw in that he flicked on to our player running off him. A couple in our area clearing Oxford attacks late on. There were others, I am sure.

Nonleagueherewecome

He was being held, replays showed it clearly!
And if he parried it wide of goal straight into the Oxford players path ;)
Burge was very clearly being held.

Malaka

New
Burge 6
Grimmer 6
Hyam 7
Willis 7
Brown 7
Doyle 6
Bayliss 6.5
Shipley 7.5
Thomas 6
JCH 8
Chaplin 7

Sterling 5.5
Agogo 6
Andreu 6

pastythegreat

To be fair, I can think of least 4 headers that JCH won. One was in the build up to the first goal and one was from a throw in that he flicked on to our player running off him. A couple in our area clearing Oxford attacks late on. There were others, I am sure.
There was one in our area I remember because somebody I was sat with even commented on the fact that he can win headers there, why can't he at the other end

stupot07

He cost them a goal, Burge nearly cost us 2
He misjudged the flight but he wouldnt have saved it even if he had been in the right position. In reviewing replays it looks as though their player was pushing him and moved him out the way. It was a poweful header right into the bottom corner. For me regardless of his positioning he isnt at fault for the goal.

Sterling let the man get the run on him and a free header on the other hand...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

stupot07

Burge 6
Grimmer 7
Willis 8
Hyam 8
Brown 7
Thomas 5
Doyle 5
Bayliss 7
Shippley 6
JCH 6
Chaplin 8

Sterling 4
Ogogo n/a
Andrey n/a

SkyBlueCRJ

Burge - 6: Some good catches in the box and a great low save to deny them. Kicking was appalling though and he was often caught out by the Oxford defence during corners.
Grimmer - 6: Had a fantastic first half shame he had to go off at half time.
Hyam - 7: Love watching him play. Having a CB who is so calm and collected on the ball is such a rarity at our level.
Willis - 7: Mr. Dependable. He rarely makes a mistake and when he does his athleticism usually gets him out of trouble.
Brown - 6: Scorned him in recent weeks when he's played but much better from him today. Needs to get forward more though.
Thomas - 6: Was OK but I find that he looks a lot better than he actually is. Gave the ball away often and his feet are sometimes too quick for him when he's on the ball. Final product needs work
Doyle - 6: Did fine today can't really comment much more. The majority of his free kicks into the box were good and looked threatening.
Bayliss - 6.5: For me scraped a 6.5 as I thought he was poor for large parts of the game today. Looked like he was lost trying to find the cinema across the road in the first half. Was better second half though and got stuck in at times.
Shipley - 7: Great today, definitely doesn't look out of depth at this level.
JCH - 7: Although he dives a hell of a lot he's an intelligent player and was a thorn in Oxford's defence all game. Knew he couldn't outmuscle Nelson and Co. so he used their physicality against him.
Chaplin - 7: Looks a real handful and his touch is excellent. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Sterling - 6: Thought he was OK when he came on and he made an effort to get forward more.
Ogogo - N/A
Andreu - N/A

Last edited by a moderator:

clint van damme

one very good defensive header towards the end as they started to ramp up the pressure.

mds

You clearly know nothing about goalkeeping. If you can't catch and have to parry it has to go to the side, away from goal.

Obviously, cause he couldnt see the defenders in front of him nor have any idea there was a stiker to the right, but you know, convention says he should of pushed it out wide straight to one of their strikers, nailed on goal and then thats just Burge being Burge!!!
Maybe he deserves some credit for having that awareness about him to know exactly what was what, then again we dont give Burge any credit do we?

ccfcway

Not giving people enough credit today includes ( in my opinion)

JCH
Hyam
Robins

Burge isn’t on my list

johnwillomagic

Hmm didn't think we were great at all today - though delighted with result still think we lack any kind of cutting edge this season.
However moderately better with JCH and Chaplin so hopefully good signs for the future.

Burge 6
Grimmer 6.5
Willis 7.5
Hyam 7.5
Brown 6
Doyle 6
Bayliss 6
Shipley 6
Thomas 6
JCH 6.5
Chaplin 7

Sterling 5.5
Andreu 5.5
Ogogo 5.5

rob9872

7s all round other than 8s for Willis and Hyam, 6 for Thomas.

JulianDarbyFTW

Burge - 6
Grimmer - 7
Willis - 8
Hyam - 8
Brown - 5
Thomas - 5
Doyle - 7
Bayliss - 7
Shipley - 7
Chaplin - 7
Clarke Harris - 7

I'm going to go against the grain and say I thought Doyle played well. He gives everything, and while some of his passing was off the mark, he played a proper destroyers role. I think he belly-flopped on the ball a half-dozen times just to try and win it in amongst flying feet. He just doesn't give in, and I think the inspiration he provides is worth him being on the pitch.

Irish Sky Blue

Burge - 6: Some good catches in the box and a great low save to deny them. Kicking was appalling though and he was often caught out by the Notts County defence during corners.
Grimmer - 6: Had a fantastic first half shame he had to go off at half time.
Hyam - 7: Love watching him play. Having a CB who is so calm and collected on the ball is such a rarity at our level.
Willis - 7: Mr. Dependable. He rarely makes a mistake and when he does his athleticism usually gets him out of trouble.
Brown - 6: Scorned him in recent weeks when he's played but much better from him today. Needs to get forward more though.
Thomas - 6: Was OK but I find that he looks a lot better than he actually is. Gave the ball away often and his feet are sometimes too quick for him when he's on the ball. Final product needs work
Doyle - 6: Did fine today can't really comment much more. The majority of his free kicks into the box were good and looked threatening.
Bayliss - 6.5: For me scraped a 6.5 as I thought he was poor for large parts of the game today. Looked like he was lost trying to find the cinema across the road in the first half. Was better second half though and got stuck in at times.
Shipley - 7: Great today, definitely doesn't look out of depth at this level.
JCH - 7: Although he dives a hell of a lot he's an intelligent player and was a thorn in Oxford's defence all game. Knew he couldn't outmuscle Nelson and Co. so he used their physicality against him.
Chaplin - 7: Looks a real handful and his touch is excellent. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Sterling - 6: Thought he was OK when he came on and he made an effort to get forward more.
Ogogo - N/A
Andreu - N/A
Not sure why Burge would have been caught out by Notts County and in particular by their defence? I can see you meant to say Oxford. Wouldn’t it have been their attack however?

Nonleagueherewecome

He misjudged the flight but he wouldnt have saved it even if he had been in the right position. In reviewing replays it looks as though their player was pushing him and moved him out the way. It was a poweful header right into the bottom corner. For me regardless of his positioning he isnt at fault for the goal.

Sterling let the man get the run on him and a free header on the other hand...

Well put. Got to say, I very rarely disagree with how you see the game at all. Shame you can't get a job with CWR!

SkyBlueCRJ

Not sure why Burge would have been caught out by Notts County and in particular by their defence? I can see you meant to say Oxford. Wouldn’t it have been their attack however?

Hahaha that was absolute autopilot I was reading the match report from the Notts County Exeter game at the same time as posting. Yeah during their attacking corners obviously they were constantly bullying him/getting in front of him which I don't understand as if you stand next to Burge he is a big lad standing at around 6"2/6"3 I believe. Definitely one of the issues he needs to work on.

SlowerThanPlatt

Hahaha that was absolute autopilot I was reading the match report from the Notts County Exeter game at the same time as posting. Yeah during their attacking corners obviously they were constantly bullying him/getting in front of him which I don't understand as if you stand next to Burge he is a big lad standing at around 6"2/6"3 I believe. Definitely one of the issues he needs to work on.

5'11” according to most sites. Got to think that goes against him when coming for crosses and long punts

SkyBlueCRJ

5'11” according to most sites. Got to think that goes against him when coming for crosses and long punts

Is he?? I remember reading in the CCFC programme last season he was 6"3 but to be honest the website says he's about 180cm which I'm sure isn't right because doesn't that make you about 5"9?

PVA

Burge was at fault for one, could easily have been 2 goals. He made one on target save that I can remember.

So Burge gets marked down because he only had one save to make - and a good save it was (and he had no chance with the goal)?

So we limit them to just two shots on target all game, and rather than attribute that to a good team performance you somehow use that as a stick to beat Burge with!?? Yeah what a shit keeper because he didn't save any of those shots that didn't actually happen.

Have a read of MR's post match comments, see what he thought of Burges performance .

SlowerThanPlatt

Depends really. English football has come away from the idea that all defenders need to be 6’5” brutes and if you’re a 5’6” midfielder you have no chance over the last 10 years

luwalla

have to laugh at some of the people on here. Burge getting , totally undeserved, stick again.

He came out and caught some great crosses, horrible ones to defend if he hadn't come & claimed them too... I thought their supply into the box was pretty good. So id say he was quite dominant in that area actually... yeah you might pick up on the one or two he missed, but any goalie coach will tell you they would rather have a keeper that is coming & claiming ( never going to get them all ) than one who just doesn't try

Also made a great save... solid 7 for yesterday

Last edited:

SkyBlueCRJ

Depends really. English football has come away from the idea that all defenders need to be 6’5” brutes and if you’re a 5’6” midfielder you have no chance over the last 10 years

I agree to an extent, but you're your opinion doesn't necessarily always apply to goalkeepers as you're focusing on the exception rather than the rule. League One I find is still very much behind the times with regards to your opinion.

Goalkeeping in the top flight has changed over the years massively over the years in comparison to the days of Oggy etc like you inferred. Now the likes of Ederson and Pickford are emerging who aren't necessarily the biggest goalkeepers but are excellent shot stoppers, accurate distributors and are excellent on the ball. But this new trend is still in the early stages as most suggest that the minimum height of a GK stands at 5"11, with the average height standing at around 6"3. Taking height out of the equation though, Burge possesses none of these traits mentioned and any goalkeeper who do hold those traits won't be plying his trade in League One. So his size if anything is something of a disadvantage at our level - especially with the makeup of the league we currently find ourselves in where more often that not he'll be battling against a John Obika or a Curtis Nelson from a corner.

I remember speaking to Tony Mowbray once and he said that the biggest contrast with managing at a lower division at Coventry compared to that of West Brom or Middlesborough is that the players in League One are largely athletes first, footballers second - whether that be players relying on size, strength, pace, stamina etc. Now although I'm not TM's biggest fan, which I've made known on this forum on a number of occasions, I've always been struck by the accuracy of that comment. This I find is also accurate with the goalkeepers in our division. This isn't suggesting that you have to be 6"4 to be a good goalkeeper because look at O'Brien, he might be a big lad but he's nowhere near good enough for this level. But, there is a reason the vast majority of goalkeepers are over 6ft as it's one position that requires a player to be big so they can fill the goal and be commanding in the box when dealing with crosses/shots etc. There's no coincidence that Burge's biggest problem over the years has been with failing to sufficiently command his box. He has improved but he's still not great. Is this down to height? I don't think it's a main factor but it's certainly one of them.

SkyBlueCRJ

have ti laugh at some of the people on here. Burge getting , totally undeserved, stick again.

He came out and caught some great crosses, horrible ones to defend if he hadn't come & claimed them too... I thought there supply into the box was pretty good. So id say he was quite dominant in that area actually... yeah you might pick up on the one or two he missed, but any goalie coach will tell you they would rather have a keeper that sis coming & claiming ( and never going to get them all ) than one who just doesn't try

Also made a great save... solid 7 for yesterday

Can I just say this summed up my previous point. It's great that you support Burge but can you honestly say he's a good goalkeeper at this level? And 7 really? Did you not see any of his kicks or do you not qualify as a part of goalkeeping in your book?

SkyBlueCRJ

This is what confuses me I swear he's bigger than 5"11. I just don't know what to believe but I suppose we can only go off what's on the website unless someone on here takes one for the team and offers to measure him up.... but I do hear there are laws against that now.

fernandopartridge

Can I just say this summed up my previous point. It's great that you support Burge but can you honestly say he's a good goalkeeper at this level? And 7 really? Did you not see any of his kicks or do you not qualify as a part of goalkeeping in your book?

He's fine at this level, that save yesterday was excellent. Caught a few crosses but got blocked off for a couple of corners. Kicking isn't great but show me many keepers outside the elite clubs who have these all round attributes. He didn't slice any out of play from what I recall.
Funny pundits and other managers seem to think he's ok.

SkyBlueCRJ

He's fine at this level, that save yesterday was excellent. Caught a few crosses but got blocked off for a couple of corners. Kicking isn't great but show me many keepers outside the elite clubs who have these all round attributes. He didn't slice any out of play from what I recall.
Funny pundits and other managers seem to think he's ok.

My thoughts exactly. He's fine at this level. But like I mentioned previously on this thread, if we want to succeed at gaining promotion we need to invest in this position.

steve82

Burge - 6.5
Grimmer - 6.5
Willis - 7
Hyam - 7
Brown - 6.5
Shipley - 6
Doyle - 6.5
Bayliss - 6.5
Thomas - 5
Chaplin - 7
Clarke-Harris - 6

Sterling - 3
Ogogo - 4
Andreu - 4

Just seen the game not a great performance by any means but the important 3pts was achieved and that was the most important things to gain from the day.
1st half was too much reliance on the long ball pumped to JCH. Was pleased with Junior Browns contribution, experience showed at times and that kept Marcus Brown quieter. Would like to see Tom Bayliss release a pass when on the charge at times instead of eventually being dispossessed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread