Player Ratings (1 Viewer)

Calista

There tends to be some “grade inflation” when we get the win. If we’d lost today (as could easily have happened if Swindon hadn’t passed up so many chances) I reckon there would have been some very low ratings dished out.

Burge 7 (but 2 for his distribution)
Grimmer 6
Stokes 6
Willis 8
Davis 8
Doyle 7
Bayliss 6 (one superb ball near the end though)
Maguire-Drew 5
Shipley 6
Biamou 6 (but what a wonderful strike)
McNulty 7 (again a fine goal)

DKE 7 (definitely made a difference, loved that crunching challenge)

I hadn’t been for a couple of months, so maybe I’d forgotten what the standard was like in the 4th tier. I never like criticising individual players, but virtually everyone was spooning the ball up into the air with monotonous regularity, slashing wildly at clearances when under no pressure, and hitting it long into areas of the pitch where there no Sky Blue shirts. When you go two goals up at home, you’d think it would boost confidence on the ball to get some passing moves going, although I realise it’s not easy in this physical league and on a sticky pitch.

Don’t get me wrong, everyone worked very hard and the 3 points are precious. The first goalmouth scramble had me laughing my head off with relief and disbelief, and we got away with something similar a few minutes later. Full marks for commitment.

Perhaps thinking about 1987 and all that had got me dreaming a bit too much before the game.

stevefloyd

giphy.gif
Loved that film

BackRoomRummermill

There tends to be some “grade inflation” when we get the win. If we’d lost today (as could easily have happened if Swindon hadn’t passed up so many chances) I reckon there would have been some very low ratings dished out.

Grimmer 6
Stokes 6
Willis 8
Davis 8
Doyle 7
Maguire-Drew 5
Shipley 6

I hadn’t been for a couple of months, so maybe I’d forgotten what the standard was like in the 4th tier. I never like criticising individual players, but virtually everyone was spooning the ball up into the air with monotonous regularity, slashing wildly at clearances when under no pressure, and hitting it long into areas of the pitch where there no Sky Blue shirts. When you go two goals up at home, you’d think it would boost confidence on the ball to get some passing moves going, although I realise it’s not easy in this physical league and on a sticky pitch.

Don’t get me wrong, everyone worked very hard and the 3 points are precious. The first goalmouth scramble had me laughing my head off with relief and disbelief, and we got away with something similar a few minutes later. Full marks for commitment.

Perhaps thinking about 1987 and all that had got me dreaming a bit too much before the game.

This is the cess pit we are in, dog shite dog fart football.

Adge

That game could of gone any way and it was McNulty who took the pressure off with Swindon looking the most likely to score an equaliser.
Burge man of the match-really?

Burge 6 The usual good,bad and ugly. Great save into the bar to deny it being 2-2 but got out of jail with flapping on a few occasions.

Grimmer 5 Goal came down his side and thought it was one of his poorer games-not sure what the push was about in the corner 2 nd half when there was not much danger.

Stokes 6 Sound defensively but not great going forward.

Davis 8 Headed everything.

Willis 8 Threw himself in for some important blocks-looks good alongside Davies now too.

Shipley 5 Needs a rest-surprised he wasn’t taken off.

Maguire Drew 6 Surprised he went off-was our most creative 1st half, but got tired I guess.

Doyle 7 Held it together well in the middle-as usual never stopped running.

Bayliss 7 Couple of bad balls played but still done the right things and tries to go forward.

Biamou 7 Great goal and again won the headers and worked hard. Still need benching though IF another striker arrives.

McNulty 7 Didn’t think he had his best game but scored 2 goals and 2nd at a time when it was looking like Swindon might get back in.

DKE 6 Just for the work rate alone.

Londonccfcfan

i have skimmed through some of the ratings. On the whole generally agree with most.

Although I think Doyle had a blinder , carried Bayliss through this game, Bayliss had a shocker time and again gave the ball away with some atrocious first touches. The second half just cried out for Liam Kelly to come on.
Not sure about Burge motm. Yes one or two good saves. But apart from that looks a liability. Unconvincing. But credit for the saves.

I’m really happy to finally win a game that we possibly didn’t deserve to win. Swindon were good for a Draw imo.

But that’s a first and it’s always a great feeling to win comfortably and win.

But like last week we were ruthless in both boxes (yes we had some luck with two scrambles).

Burge 6
Grimmer 5.5
Davies 8
Willis 9
Stokes 6
Shipley 7
Doyle 8
Bayliss 5
Maguire Drew 6
Biamou 8
McNulty 8

Dion KE 7

Dazmataz

I think that Doyle is really holding the midfield together at the moment, his pressing high up the pitch led to McNulty’s second today.

We could really do with Kelly back, or another experienced head to share the load.

Otis

Exactly, in and amongst a very young midfield.
And this is coming from someone whom has never been a fan. Never been that enamoured with Doyle before, but I can see what he adds to the team and he is forever getting a leg in, chasing down, breaking up play, getting in players faces, disrupting the opposition and just keeps going relentlessly.

He also has great passion and spirit and that counts for a lot.

I think he adds more to the side than some give him credit for.

skybluebeast

And this is coming from someone whom has never been a fan. Never been that enamoured with Doyle before, but I can see what he adds to the team and he is forever getting a leg in, chasing down, breaking up play, getting in players faces, disrupting the opposition and just keeps going relentlessly.

He also has great passion and spirit and that counts for a lot.

I think he adds more to the side than some give him credit for.
I, like you can appreciate what Doyle does bring to the team, and that is the passion and spirit and the relentless running around. However I must disagree with the pushing up and getting in the oppositions faces as he doesn’t do this anywhere near as effective as he used to, and it is much less consistent now. Doyle invariably is the last one to get a foot in most of the time after either one of our forwards have come back or after his midfield partner has had a niggle first.
He drops us back far too deep, most of the ratings of Bayliss have been lower today and I agree he didn’t have a very good game at all, but we can all be in agreement that he offers our most creativity in the midfield yet how is he meant to do that if he is only recieving the ball 20yds out from his own goal and then having to run the length of the pitch with the ball to create something.
City today for me had a 10/20 min spell when we looked good in the first half and we looked good cause we pushed high up the pitch and didn’t let Swindon out, this was in part imo partly because Doyle still had the energy to help do it. Once his spell of energy goes his immediate reaction is to sit off and drop deep which means we have a 2 nd half which we had today.
If and when Kelly comes back I would like to see Doyle dropped for a game to see if Kelly can play that role and maybe we won’t drop so far deep.

skyblue025

Burge 7.5 made some crucial saves. Tipped one onto the bar 1st half and the double save second half were excellent.
Stokes 6 solid enough defensively, can't remember him doing much going forward.
Willis & Davies 8 were both excellent attacked everything today. Willis just shading it as my MOM
Grimmer 5 got caught out of position for their goal and on a couple of other occasions.

Shipley 7 Thought he did well. Covered back a lot and pushed forward well when he had the chance. Tired after about 70 min.
Doyle 8 really held the midfield together well. His passing was decent today. He tackled and made interceptions as always.
Baylis 5 was poor today. He's still a kid and isn't going to play well every week. Gave the ball away so often but kept plugging away.looked knackered after about 40 min.
MD 7 first half 4 second half. Put some decent balls in and ran at their defence first half. Second half was more noticeable for not putting his foot in or looking interested. Love the way he claps the crowd at corners when no one is clapping him.
Biamou. 8 great strike for his goal. Dare I say Regis esq. Put in a shift, won plenty of headers which we are really poor at picking up the second ball.
Mcnulty 8 Scored 2 and looked like he was running through treacle the rest of the game. His second goal was a beauty. Just hit it on instinct right in the corner.

Dke 6 did well when he came on including one peach of a tackle which not only knocked the ball out but also left their left back holding his foot and hobbling away.

Fair play to the Swindon fans. All stood and clapped for the minutes applause, again in the 9th minute and for the video at half time.

Not as convincing as the scoreline looks and a game we could easily of lost as Swindon missed a lot of good chances. How they never scored in that goal mouth scramble second 1\2 I don't know. Still I will take a win all day every day. The pitch is in shit order and needs sorting out urgently.

Last edited:

Otis

I, like you can appreciate what Doyle does bring to the team, and that is the passion and spirit and the relentless running around. However I must disagree with the pushing up and getting in the oppositions faces as he doesn’t do this anywhere near as effective as he used to, and it is much less consistent now. Doyle invariably is the last one to get a foot in most of the time after either one of our forwards have come back or after his midfield partner has had a niggle first.
He drops us back far too deep, most of the ratings of Bayliss have been lower today and I agree he didn’t have a very good game at all, but we can all be in agreement that he offers our most creativity in the midfield yet how is he meant to do that if he is only recieving the ball 20yds out from his own goal and then having to run the length of the pitch with the ball to create something.
City today for me had a 10/20 min spell when we looked good in the first half and we looked good cause we pushed high up the pitch and didn’t let Swindon out, this was in part imo partly because Doyle still had the energy to help do it. Once his spell of energy goes his immediate reaction is to sit off and drop deep which means we have a 2 nd half which we had today.
If and when Kelly comes back I would like to see Doyle dropped for a game to see if Kelly can play that role and maybe we won’t drop so far deep.
Fair point.

I always saw it as a deliberate ploy to sit deep rather than him being sapped of energy, but maybe you're right.

We quite often regress much deeper in second halves of matches and was definitely more noticeable when both Doyle and Kelly were paired together.

Guess we will only truly know if Doyle is missing a game like you say. If he's not playing and we don't start to drop deep then that would support that theory.

NortonSkyBlue

I felt that the team as a whole dropped too deep after the first 25 minutes yesterday and this contributed to Swindon scoring.
Doyle is the glue that keeps the team together but he is taking on too big a task, it is his experience that is dragging us through some games and I believe Kelly coming back should take some of the weight off of him.
I am not sure about the loan chap so far, too lightweight but I am prepared to back the managers opinion and I hope he is feeling his way at present and there is more to come from him.
It is clear that McNulty is a class or two above our level and we need to see the transfer window close with him in our colors and free of injury for the rest of the season.

clint van damme

I felt that the team as a whole dropped too deep after the first 25 minutes yesterday and this contributed to Swindon scoring.
Doyle is the glue that keeps the team together but he is taking on too big a task, it is his experience that is dragging us through some games and I believe Kelly coming back should take some of the weight off of him.
I am not sure about the loan chap so far, too lightweight but I am prepared to back the managers opinion and I hope he is feeling his way at present and there is more to come from him.
It is clear that McNulty is a class or two above our level and we need to see the transfer window close with him in our colors and free of injury for the rest of the season.

I surprised by how high some of the marks were for Doyle and was critical of Doyles passing yesterday, (the whole teams was poor).
But with hindsight he had a hell of a job on his hands yesterday, marshalling an inexperienced midfield who clearly weren't playing as well as they have been recently and were outnumbered.
Yet he managed to keep us organised, get us over the line and pressed them into a mistake for the much needed third.
Robins should have bought DKE on 10 minutes earlier and it nearly cost us.

phildownunder

Grimmer 6
Stokes 6
Willis 8
Davis 8
Doyle 7
Maguire-Drew 5
Shipley 6

Totally agree with first sentence and reckon your ratings are pretty spot on too.

Otis

I surprised by how high some of the marks were for Doyle and was critical of Doyles passing yesterday, (the whole teams was poor).
But with hindsight he had a hell of a job on his hands yesterday, marshalling an inexperienced midfield who clearly weren't playing as well as they have been recently and were outnumbered.
Yet he managed to keep us organised, get us over the line and pressed them into a mistake for the much needed third.
Robins should have bought DKE on 10 minutes earlier and it nearly cost us.
Yep, agree. Some players were clearly faltering and I was surprised we didn't make earlier changes.

Both JMD and Shipley were noticeably tiring and Shipley in an interview this very week said he was working on his fitness levels in order for him to be able to last 90 minutes, so clearly struggles.

standupforcity

I see a lot of criticism for Burge today. Just been flicking through the match thread.

Maybe I need to watch the highlights. So much going on for those scrambles and he seemed to be stopping everything, but maybe I missed something.

Thought he was very average in the first half, but kicking apart, thought the made some great saves in the second.
Burge's kicking is atrocious...aimless, without any thought!!! Often to no-one and straight out of play..

AJB1983

Don’t agree that maguire-drew is one footed - he is more than happy to use his right foot to cross balls in. That said he scuffed three crosses today which could have led to chances when under no real pressure.
For me Burge getting MOTM was a fair shout - I thought he played a blinder, bar some dodgy kicks in 2nd half.
Tom Davies I thought was excellent, as was Willis.
McNulty produced when he needed to and biamou’s goal was superb, and he won almost everything in the air.
Everyone else played ‘alright’.

skybluebeast

Burge 7.5 made some crucial saves. Tipped one onto the bar 1st half and the double save second half were excellent.
Stokes 6 solid enough defensively, can't remember him doing much going forward.
Willis & Davies 8 were both excellent attacked everything today. Willis just shading it as my MOM
Grimmer 5 got caught out of position for their goal and on a couple of other occasions.

Shipley 7 Thought he did well. Covered back a lot and pushed forward well when he had the chance. Tired after about 70 min.
Doyle 8 really held the midfield together well. His passing was decent today. He tackled and made interceptions as always.
Baylis 5 was poor today. He's still a kid and isn't going to play well every week. Gave the ball away so often but kept plugging away.looked knackered after about 40 min.
MD 7 first half 4 second half. Put some decent balls in and ran at their defence first half. Second half was more noticeable for not putting his foot in or looking interested. Love the way he claps the crowd at corners when no one is clapping him.
Biamou. 8 great strike for his goal. Dare I say Regis esq. Put in a shift, won plenty of headers which we are really poor at picking up the second ball.
Mcnulty 8 Scored 2 and looked like he was running through treacle the rest of the game. His second goal was a beauty. Just hit it on instinct right in the corner.

Dke 6 did well when he came on including one peach of a tackle which not only knocked the ball out but also left their left back holding his foot and hobbling away.

Fair play to the Swindon fans. All stood and clapped for the minutes applause, again in the 9th minute and for the video at half time.

Not as convincing as the scoreline looks and a game we could easily of lost as Swindon missed a lot of good chances. How they never scored in that goal mouth scramble second 1\2 I don't know. Still I will take a win all day every day. The pitch is in shit order and needs sorting out urgently.
Grimmer is only out of position though because Willis has gone 5/10 yrds up field to header the ball away and missed it, which meant Grimmer had to slot in onto Willis’s man. Willis the didn’t read the play quick enough to get back and cover the right back position.

speedie87

Well that was a battle and test of character more than a test a skill and we came out with a win so happy with that.

Burge 7 scored from one of his long kicks, good save onto bar first half. Haven’t a clue what happened during first goal mouth scramble but great saves during 2nd

Grimmer 6 not sure what happened for their goal he found himself inside Willis who had to go out wide
Willis 7
Davis 9 won every header
Stokes 7 got beat in first few mins and Doyle abused him for it
McGuire drew 6 one good shot, worrying lack of pace and defensive effort
Bayliss 6 his worst game so far
Doyle 7 would be a 9 for battling quality and leadership but 5 for on the ball
Shipley 6
Biamou 7 what a hit son
Mcnulty 8

stupot07

A difficult game to score, we weren't particularly good in possession, but it was a committed defensive display that ground out an important win. I think it's important to note that Swindon have the best away record in the league, better than Luton's so yesterday was a very good result.

Burge 8.5 - MOTM
Grimmer 7
Willis 8
Davies 8
Stokes 7
Doyle 7
Bayliss 5
McGuire-Drew 5
Shipley 6
McNulty 8
Biamou 8

DKE 7

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dazmataz

Yep, agree. Some players were clearly faltering and I was surprised we didn't make earlier changes.

Both JMD and Shipley were noticeably tiring and Shipley in an interview this very week said he was working on his fitness levels in order for him to be able to last 90 minutes, so clearly struggles.
Shipley could definitely do with a week out of the team, unfortunately I don’t think we have anyone in the squad to replace him.

The entire midfield looked shot to pieces by the end of the game and looked like the young inexperienced players that they are. With the exception of Doyle none of them would be our first team if it weren’t for injuries.

Great win against one of the best sides to visit The Ricoh this year.

Otis

Shipley could definitely do with a week out of the team, unfortunately I don’t think we have anyone in the squad to replace him.

The entire midfield looked shot to pieces by the end of the game and looked like the young inexperienced players that they are. With the exception of Doyle none of them would be our first team if it weren’t for injuries.

Great win against one of the best sides to visit The Ricoh this year.
I think we do have someone to replace him though. We had Barrett on the bench. Not 100% fit yet, but he could have come on for 20 mins and next week we could easily play JMD on the left and Barrett on the right.

Dazmataz

I think we do have someone to replace him though. We had Barrett on the bench. Not 100% fit yet, but he could have come on for 20 mins and next week we could easily play JMD on the left and Barrett on the right.
Very true

Londonccfcfan

Fair point.

Users who are viewing this thread