Player Ratings (1 Viewer)

Otis

Thomas is suspended for next match I think.

Cue celebratory parties and open topped bus parades around the streets of Coventry.

These will last 3 days and then the following 3 days will be spent scratching heads trying to pin down the next nominated scapegoat for the Orient match.

Nick

Administrator
Cue celebratory parties and open topped bus parades around the streets of Coventry.

These will last 3 days and then the following 3 days will be spent scratching heads trying to pin down the next nominated scapegoat for the Orient match.
Jordan Clarke for me, booing already

shmmeee

CCFC fans in not appreciating non-glamorous position shocker.

Jordan Clarke for me, booing already

I say we start on the kids nice and early and start booing James Maddison for not being good enough to start yet.

Nick

Administrator
CCFC fans in not appreciating non-glamorous position shocker.

I say we start on the kids nice and early and start booing James Maddison for not being good enough to start yet.
Good thinking, I'm practising my best booing.

kg82

They do indeed.

Can't see any problem with not rating a player, but still praising him when he does well. Think you will find it is not a sin.

I have never rated Barton, for the simple fact that I think he is a player you have to build a team around, his workrate is usually poor, his tackling all but non-existent and I see him as a luxury player.

Yesterday I thought he played really well and his workrate was high too. Hats off to the guy and he'd now be one of the first players I would put down on the team sheet for next week.

Think it is fine to admit you were wrong on something. I'lll be more than happy for Barton to prove me wrong and for him to nail down that place in the middle of the park.

I've noticed Barton getting a lot of praise for yesterday which is nice to see. Shows some people do actually take notice and not have their scorecards marked before kick off.

Otis

He has 5 bookings but one was in the JPT, still a suspension?

Disappointing if so, a central midifield of Fleck and Barton next game then?

Why not leave it as it is, have Fleck still on the left of midfield and bring Jack Finch into the middle of the park alonsgide Barton.

shy_tall_knight

Connor is 21 this week, over 100 appearances for Cov now, thought overall he was poor yesterday. Not sure what he offers, 1 goal doesn't look like he is looking to score, never really shoots, his passing was poor 1st half as were many, doesn't run with the ball and his tackling isn't the best, he is athletic with good stamina and needs a higher quality of performance regularly to convince me. Jordan Clark will be 23 soon I see them as very similar good prospects brought through the use system which initially allows a certain amount of slack not afforded to other squad additions but eventually they run out of excuses. Harsh but thats the way I see it. Young players develop at different stages but Ryan seems a more complete player than Clarke or Thomas

Otis

Connor is 21 this week, over 100 appearances for Cov now, thought overall he was poor yesterday. Not sure what he offers, 1 goal doesn't look like he is looking to score, never really shoots, his passing was poor 1st half as were many, doesn't run with the ball and his tackling isn't the best, he is athletic with good stamina and needs a higher quality of performance regularly to convince me. Jordan Clark will be 23 soon I see them as very similar good prospects brought through the use system which initially allows a certain amount of slack not afforded to other squad additions but eventually they run out of excuses. Harsh but thats the way I see it. Young players develop at different stages but Ryan seems a more complete player than Clarke or Thomas

Ryan Haynes is still very, very raw.

Let me pose another question here. Do we honsetly think Barton would have been able to do what he did yesterday without Thomas there to be the workhorse?

Been argued several times that Thomas allows other players to do what they do best. He does the donkey work that allows the players around him to play.

As I've said loads of times, I am not even a big fan of Thomas, but until we bring anyone else in to replace him I can't see we have many other options there.

Lee Carsley on the radio yesterday was saying Thomas is a very talented footballer and he has always been thought of highly at the club. Carsley was here for 3 years in various capacities and under different managers.

I myself hoped way back when that he was going to be a real star for us. He hasn't been that but he has done a job.

It's fine if people think he's not very good, but I do wish that when he does play well he is given credit and not just dismissed as always rubbish whatever.

Very blinkered and jaundiced view to take into games that, that of he's crap no matter what.

shy_tall_knight

Otis I understand the role of the holding midfielder and what he contributes to the team but most of the performances from Connor that I've seen he has been poor, only saying as I see it, his passing to the opposition being he worst attribute, Liverpool must have seen something to take him up there 4 years ago but Marcus Hall played for england u21s and was seen as a great prospect but that didn't happen either. I want connor to have a good game but my experiences are that he rarely does just an opinion nothing personal

Otis

Otis I understand the role of the holding midfielder and what he contributes to the team but most of the performances from Connor that I've seen he has been poor, only saying as I see it, his passing to the opposition being he worst attribute, Liverpool must have seen something to take him up there 4 years ago but Marcus Hall played for england u21s and was seen as a great prospect but that didn't happen either. I want connor to have a good game but my experiences are that he rarely does just an opinion nothing personal

In your opinion did he make no good passes in the first half?

shy_tall_knight

Don't remember a good pass unfortunately do remember the pass straight into touch we're not expecting champagne Fleck style passes but accurate short passing keeping the ball moving.

Grendel

Don't remember a good pass unfortunately do remember the pass straight into touch we're not expecting champagne Fleck style passes but accurate short passing keeping the ball moving.

Flecks pass success ratio is actually very poor.

Otis

That pass over the top of their fullback for Nouble to run on to, where he burst into the box and had his shot saved by their keeper, was played by Conor Thomas.

Everyone only remembers that first pass that went straight out of play though, for some reason. It was a dreadful pass, but as I said earlier in the thread, only seconds after JOB made just as bad a pass and that was swiftly followed by an awful pass by Hines.

Why is it people only want to comment on Thomas's bad passes and no-one elses? :confused:

fanta2580

That's a daft accusation, cos if you read all my posts going back forever and a day, I am not even a fan of his.

All I do is to speak out when any player is getting unfair criticism and as with most scapegoats (and Thomas is most certainly that) the dislike towards them becomes so great that the person making the accusation can only focus on the negative things hes does and ignore the good stuff.

Case in point yesterday. Someone on the match thread spoke of a dreadful ball by Thomas straight into touch in the first couple of mins. Within seconds of Thomas's error, O'Brien played an absolutely dreadful ball out and Hines hit a hopeless ball forwards straight to the feet of a Peterborough player.

So who is the only player to get any criticism in the thread? Answer, Thomas.

Other players can play a dreadful ball and it is forgiven. Thomas does 3 good passes and 1 dreadful one and all that is rememberd is the one dreadful one.

I am not a Thomas fan by a long chalk, but I do know when a player is receiving unfair treatment.

It's also ridiculous to say that they were just 3 tackles. These were 3 great tackles. that is why I highlighted them.

When Thomas is poor I say he is poor, when he does well ( and second half he did very well), I give him credit.

The reason Thomas is singled out is due to him offering nothing to the team. I believe Hines would better suit his role or finch. O'brien got man of the match as he offered a lot so one bad pass is accepted. Problem with Thomas is he is never effective and made 3 tackles and 1 good pass all game. So when he does have a good game I will praise him but until now I haven't seen him have one.

SkyBlue_Bear83

In your opinion did he make no good passes in the first half?
Didn't he pick out Nouble in the first half on the wing in the first half with a really good pass, where Nouble powered into the box and had the shot saved by the keeper?

Otis

Didn't he pick out Nouble in the first half on the wing in the first half with a really good pass, where Nouble powered into the box and had the shot saved by the keeper?

He did. Not bad for a player who cannot pass.

He can't tackle either, but made 3 great tackles in the game.

Go figure.

stupot07

The reason Thomas is singled out is due to him offering nothing to the team. I believe Hines would better suit his role or finch. O'brien got man of the match as he offered a lot so one bad pass is accepted. Problem with Thomas is he is never effective and made 3 tackles and 1 good pass all game. So when he does have a good game I will praise him but until now I haven't seen him have one.

So you didn't think he played well second half yesterday? Or the first 60 mins agains gillingham?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Otis

So you didn't think he played well second half yesterday? Or the first 60 mins agains gillingham?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Course he didn't. He's Conor Thomas.

We need to do a mystery shopper style thing, where no-one knows who he is. He can dye his hair, change his name and come in as a new signing. Then the views might not be so blinkered.

stupot07

He did. Not bad for a player who cannot pass.

He can't tackle either, but made 3 great tackles in the game.

Go figure.

5 yard passes don't count remember, never is pressing and covering space. Also Pressley didn't single him out for his second half performance and the job he was given of shutting out Maddison who ran the show for them first half. Apart from that he offered nothing

Otis

5 yard passes don't count remember, never is pressing and covering space. Also Pressley didn't single him out for his second half performance and the job he was given of shutting out Maddison who ran the show for them first half. Apart from that he offered nothing

Maybe Maddison just faded naturally. :whistle:

The thing that convinces me of a blind dislike is the fact that all the Thomas dissenters remember that dreadful ball out of player and point that out, but don't mention the great pass he played over the top of the Peterborough defence for Nouble's chance.

2nd half, besides Nouble, Barton and JOB, Thomas was as a good as any other City player on the pitch.

Otis

The thing that convinces me of a blind dislike is the fact that all the Thomas dissenters remember that dreadful ball out of player and point that out, but don't mention the great pass he played over the top of the Peterborough defence for Nouble's chance.

2nd half, besides Nouble, Barton and JOB, Thomas was as a good as any other City player on the pitch.

But then of course, the answer to that has to be that I am;

a) His lover

or

b) A friend of the family

Nick

Administrator

I think it is because when he blatently kicks it out of play it is more memorable, it is the same as when Burge miskicked it twice. You remember that, not the time it went to Nouble's head.

Otis

I think it is because when he blatently kicks it out of play it is more memorable, it is the same as when Burge miskicked it twice. You remember that, not the time it went to Nouble's head.

Maybe it's just me then Nick. I remember both good passes and bad passes.

Maybe you are just a sad, bitter and twisted man.

stupot07

Surely that's about your mindset, you're actively looking out for his mistakes, so you can point out his faults? ;)

Grendel

kg82

Wait, you're talking bigger picture kind of stuff... That's not fair!

shy_tall_knight

OK all hail Connor the new mesiah, although it has no bearing on yesterday's performance but was dropped to the bench for the Oldham game I would indicate that there was a judgeement by SP that he hasn't been great

Otis

He hasn't been.

But there again, who has this season? Not many we can say have consistently played well is there.

Warwickhunt

When Thomas can put 3 games together like the 2nd half on Saturday then I will sit up and take notice! To many wannabee' don't want to put the hard graft in nowadays hence why they play in the lower leagues

stupot07

When Thomas can put 3 games together like the 2nd half on Saturday then I will sit up and take notice! To many wannabee' don't want to put the hard graft in nowadays hence why they play in the lower leagues

Sums up our squad really.

Warwickhunt

Don't underestimate Bartons contribution he was the best player all of the match not just the 2nd half, given a longer spell and he will be like having an experience new signing. He was not phased at all by
peterboroughs high press on him

Otis

Don't think anyone would argue that Conor Thomas is anything other than inconsistent, but that label can be thrown at most of our players.

Grendel

Barton can do it for 45 minutes in 3 years and most fans seem to spontaneously ejeculate.

Users who are viewing this thread