Player ratings (1 Viewer)

Torquay Sky Blue

Thought Moore could’ve done better with both goals actually. Dabo and Maatsen poor, Kelly league one standard again, Hamer anonymous, Rose was decent but his ability with the ball completely nullified on the left.

Still need that LCB, LWB, AM in January really.

Kane, JCS and Sheaf in for me against Derby.
This is correct about Rose. We should of learnt from last season . Right footers don't work on the left. Distribution from him and Hyam was below standard last night

CovBrummie94

The morning after the night before and a long drive home:

Moore - 6 two good goals for Preston. He came out and punched well a few times when our backs were against the wall. Good save in the first half to keep it at 0-0.
Dabo - 5 his final ball was poor and struggled defensively. Switched off for the second goal. Dived in during the first half as Preston missed a good chance to go 1-0 up.
Hyam - 4 Lost his man for the opener. Turned too easy for the second.
McFadzean - 5 Poor positionally. Tried to carry the ball forward on numerous occasions but continually ran into a dead end and lost the ball.
Rose - 5 Not the same player on the left side. Passing ability completely nullified on his left foot.
Maatsen - 4 Shocking second half. Couldn't control the ball. A good cross in the first half was his main highlight.
Hamer - 5 Anonymous in the second half as Preston pressed after the break. Poor delivery from dead balls all evening bar one good corner in the first half.
Kelly - 4 Couldn't get near Preston in the second half and his use of the ball was poor.
O'Hare - 6 Great work for the goal. As usual ran and chased all night. Surprised to see him taken off.
Gyokores - 6 Not his usual self clearly playing with a knock but still as questions of the Preston defence.
Walker - 6 Good goal. Couple of good flick ons from high balls. Quieter in the second half but was feeding off scraps from the midfield.

Sheaf, Allen, Waghorn - 5 Triple sub gave us more of the ball but we did nothing with it

Robins - 4 Bad night at the office. Needed to change it earlier and has admitted such.

Evo1883

He did nothing to stop the flow, he didn't get around the pitch anywhere near enough with or without the ball. He stayed sat just in front of the centre backs all night, when we won the ball back he gave us nothing and when Preston started to move the ball second half he was nowhere.
Correct

stupot07

I've already said on the match thread but I think its worth repeating here, as a total package Dabo is a better player than Kane, but Kanes delivery into the box is far superior. Dabo had 5-6 really good crossing opportunities in the first half but the ball in was really poor.

Not sure what the answer is, Dabo is one of our best players, but I would have brought Kane on last 20 yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

CovBrummie94

I've already said on the match thread but I think its worth repeating here, as a total package Dabo is a better player than Kane, but Kanes delivery into the box is far superior. Dabo had 5-6 really good crossing opportunities in the first half but the ball in was really poor.

Not sure what the answer is, Dabo is one of our best players, but I would have brought Kane on last 20 yesterday.

Away from home I wouldn't mind seeing Dabo LWB and Kane RWB from the start.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

From the view behind the goal I had, it looked like Preston had done their homework on us. The play was bunched up down the middle, which restricted our space to play.

O’Hare and Gyokeres were pressed and marked non-stop and we had no width other than Dabo and Maatsen which evaporated in the second half. Preston came out with full momentum and you could feel the goals coming for them. You could see Robins was deliberating changes for some time with bibs going on and off… it’s a shame one of the experienced players didn’t kill the pace of the time and slow it right down to give us a chance to correct.

A performance as frustrating as the M6 after Junction 20! PUSB

larry_david

MR always takes too long with subs. For me, subs are one of his downfalls.

Remember last season playing 3 games a week for 2 months because of Covid and we were 3-0 up against Rotherham and he didnt make a single sub, then the next game moaned our players were knackered. Well no fucking shit man.

Batu1969

Not sure the blame lies with the players as such. Preston we’re a physically stronger side in the middle of the park and pressed on Maatseen well. Dabo got drawn into the centre as a consequence and struggled to be in two places at once. The side played too deep and I think Victor played injured. Should have dropped Victor and added Sheaf to the middle from the start.

Frostie

Not sure the blame lies with the players as such. Preston we’re a physically stronger side in the middle of the park and pressed on Maatseen well. Dabo got drawn into the centre as a consequence and struggled to be in two places at once. The side played too deep and I think Victor played injured. Should have dropped Victor and added Sheaf to the middle from the start.

The 2nd goal is calamitous.
Dabo gives away a free kick in a dangerous position then just ambles back, not even facing the play, they take it quickly & Hyam just allows the striker to turn inside & shoot.
That's definitely on the players, switching off like that is inexcusable.

Nick

Administrator
Dabo gives away a free kick in a dangerous position then just ambles back, not even facing the play, they take it quickly & Hyam just allows the striker to turn inside & shoot.

Yep, he didnt even stand over it. Just turned his back arguing.

The Philosopher

It brings the whole “can Dabo play as a midfielder?” Question back to the fore. Can he play the Makalele role or Phillips (Leeds) role leaving Kane wide for crossing?

I’ve no idea, what are the thoughts of the Forum?

pusbccfc

From the view behind the goal I had, it looked like Preston had done their homework on us. The play was bunched up down the middle, which restricted our space to play.

O’Hare and Gyokeres were pressed and marked non-stop and we had no width other than Dabo and Maatsen which evaporated in the second half. Preston came out with full momentum and you could feel the goals coming for them. You could see Robins was deliberating changes for some time with bibs going on and off… it’s a shame one of the experienced players didn’t kill the pace of the time and slow it right down to give us a chance to correct.

A performance as frustrating as the M6 after Junction 20! PUSB

This is my fear. Two teams have overran us now in a short period of a match. If I was Rooney, I'd be looking at the Luton and Preston game last night and try to do the same.

clint van damme

This is my fear. Two teams have overran us now in a short period of a match. If I was Rooney, I'd be looking at the Luton and Preston game last night and try to do the same.

To be fair teams have tried all the tricks Preston tried last night at the CBS and they haven't worked, different story away.

steve101

Neither were goals he could have got near. Of course its moore tho so he has to find fault to back up his failed pre season opinion of him
I agree. The first one looked odd because he didn't get near it. I wondered whether his positioning was right. However, the header was perfectly directed and the power he managed to achieve was incredible. It looked like Moore was annoyed with himself for the second one but if he had kept that out I am sure we would be commenting that it was a superb save because it was past him in a flash. Which suggests to me he wasn't at fault.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

I thought Kelly had an excellent first half, so don't understand the the low ratings here. He was no worse than anyone else 2nd half.
I'm afraid Kelly was quite a factor in second half being overan and outplayed. He really struggled for energy. Preston were really pressing hard, fluid and very physical and it was too much for Kelly. I said he should go off before the equaliser. He is a fine player but one of the weak links in the team last night. There were others Maasten etc.

Thoughts from a my neighbour who went with me to game. He is a strong Preston supporter. He thought we were a very skilled team and bossed first half . He thought Dabo was very good.

My thoughts are these. Coventry are a very good side but it seems so are many other teams in championship. I've been to four games, Millwall, Fulham , Blackburn and Preston. All were very good too. Its a quality division and Coventry are definitely up there as a fine side. Preston were very physical and verging on a bit nasty at times. There guy called Johnston was amazing and everywhere all over the park.

Disappointing but I'm not surprised. I thought beforehand not worth playing Viktor and I believe I was right. He should have been rested and play at next home game. We were unlikely to ever get more than a draw at best at Preston.

NorthernWisdom

Moore 6 - couldn’t do much about either goal
Dabo 5 - not as bad as the guy behind me thought he was but not good at all
Mcfadzean 7 - the best of a bad bunch
Rose 6 - wasn’t great but Maatsen dropped him in it a few times
Maatsen 4 - didn’t beat his man all game. Odd performance
Kelly 4 - awful. Didn’t get close to Johnson and terrible with the ball
Hamer 6 - nowhere near his best but still one of the better
O’Hare 5 - fell over a lot… but worked hard
Gyokores 5 - probably not fit
Walker 7 - took his goal well and actually linked up better first half than he usually does

We were better after the subs but it was dreadful. Long journey back down the M6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hyam that bad?

Grendel

I'm amazed Dabo wasn't hauled off just for that - it was schoolboy stuff

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Last night, of the points that stuck out, the consensus amongst those around me was that in the first half we played well but Preston had clearly set out a plan on O’Hare and Gyokeres that limited their touches and control on the game. Preston forwards also knew from the off that we would play out from the back and kept two close to the box when we had a goal kick. Sinclair kept making runs across the box and getting into space but didn’t punish us.

Second half - clearly Preston changed tactically and powered through the middle and set up to get at the space between Hyam/McFadzean/Rose that was being found in the first half. We didn’t have an answer until it was too late.

no_loyalty

Derby generally play with 4 at the back, but I think they will change their system to combat us.

Johhny Blue

“Just allows” is a Bit harsh on Hyam. That was a gifted spin by their player

Frostie

“Just allows” is a Bit harsh on Hyam. That was a gifted spin by their player

Yeah, it was in fairness & a great strike too but Hyam has to know that he's going to want to shift it on to his stronger foot & get a shot away, he should do better. Not as at fault as Dabo though for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread