Player Ratings (1 Viewer)

Bristol sky blue

Shipley reminds me a bit of how John Eustace was for us years ago: gets in good positions through sheer hard work / reading the game well, but then doesn't have the skill to take advantage of them.

Still think he is a useful member of the squad even though he had a mare last night.

Bertola

Marosi - 4. Thought it was possibly his worst game for us (maybe second worse after Pompey away last year). Handling was very erratic, looked to be second guessing what oass he was going to make whenever he had the ball at his feet.

McCallum - 6. Spirited effort at RWB, despite clearly being uncmfortable. Improved when moved over to his natural side.

Ostigard - 7. Our best defender on the night.

McFadzean - 6. Made the odd error. His Konjic like run caused some confusion, and led to our best chance of the night.

Hyam - 6. Out of position for the first goal, and dived in leaving Spence in acres for the second. Up unbtil that point he'd been his usual dependable self.

Giles - 6. Wasted a couple of good chances to get a decent cross in first half, but dealt well with Patrick Roberts defensively.

Hamer - 6. He was picking up the ball and driving us forward in the first 15 mins but his final ball was slightly off. Sat deeper second half but still kept play ticking over.

Sheaf - 7. For 10/15 mins before they scored he started to run the game. Allen had dropped deeper allowing him to get forward more, and it coincided with our best spell of the game.

Allen - 6. did ok, but we need more from him than he's produced this season. So far, I'd rather us have kept Westbrooke, although in the summer I couldn't have imagined myself saying that.

Shipley - 4. As good as he was last week, he was just as poor tonight. A lot of criticism for the chance Godden put on for him, but to me, the one he should've put on a plate for Godden was even worse. A simple ball on the floor and it's one-nil, but instead he tried to ping it into him at chest height. Criminal.

Godden - 7. Has continued to impress this season with his hold up play and work-rate. He's completely isolated and needs support. After the shifts hes put in recently, he will probably need a rest soon too.

Dabo - 5. Offered an option on the right, but as someone else said he was manic. Reminded me of a Toddler after too much sugar.

O'Hare and Walker - 5 neither offered much, but didnt do much wrong either. Thought WAlker was unlucky not to win a foul in the build up to their goal.

Robins - 5. I can understand the initial tactics after Saturday, but then he seemingly abandoned the approach with the double sub. Allen had dropped deeper allowing Sheaf to get hold of the ball and get us on the front foot, taking him and Shipley off, and changing the system left us vulnerable, and boro took advantage of it.

Disappointing night all round, but with a bit more composure, we take the lead, and we'd be lauding a classic smash and grab victory

Terry_dactyl

Marosi - 4. Thought it was possibly his worst game for us (maybe second worse after Pompey away last year). Handling was very erratic, looked to be second guessing what oass he was going to make whenever he had the ball at his feet.

McCallum - 6. Spirited effort at RWB, despite clearly being uncmfortable. Improved when moved over to his natural side.

Ostigard - 7. Our best defender on the night.

McFadzean - 6. Made the odd error. His Konjic like run caused some confusion, and led to our best chance of the night.

Hyam - 6. Out of position for the first goal, and dived in leaving Spence in acres for the second. Up unbtil that point he'd been his usual dependable self.

Giles - 6. Wasted a couple of good chances to get a decent cross in first half, but dealt well with Patrick Roberts defensively.

Hamer - 6. He was picking up the ball and driving us forward in the first 15 mins but his final ball was slightly off. Sat deeper second half but still kept play ticking over.

Sheaf - 7. For 10/15 mins before they scored he started to run the game. Allen had dropped deeper allowing him to get forward more, and it coincided with our best spell of the game.

Allen - 6. did ok, but we need more from him than he's produced this season. So far, I'd rather us have kept Westbrooke, although in the summer I couldn't have imagined myself saying that.

Shipley - 4. As good as he was last week, he was just as poor tonight. A lot of criticism for the chance Godden put on for him, but to me, the one he should've put on a plate for Godden was even worse. A simple ball on the floor and it's one-nil, but instead he tried to ping it into him at chest height. Criminal.

Godden - 7. Has continued to impress this season with his hold up play and work-rate. He's completely isolated and needs support. After the shifts hes put in recently, he will probably need a rest soon too.

Dabo - 5. Offered an option on the right, but as someone else said he was manic. Reminded me of a Toddler after too much sugar.

O'Hare and Walker - 5 neither offered much, but didnt do much wrong either. Thought WAlker was unlucky not to win a foul in the build up to their goal.

Robins - 5. I can understand the initial tactics after Saturday, but then he seemingly abandoned the approach with the double sub. Allen had dropped deeper allowing Sheaf to get hold of the ball and get us on the front foot, taking him and Shipley off, and changing the system left us vulnerable, and boro took advantage of it.

Disappointing night all round, but with a bit more composure, we take the lead, and we'd be lauding a classic smash and grab victory
Id been trying to forget that Shipley ball. What was he doing?! We were 2 on 1!!!

lifeskyblue

Marosi: the odd suicidal ball and doesn’t command his area.

Ostigard, mcfadzean and hyam: all pretty good until last few minutes. Marked improvement. Mcfadzean marshalled them well.

Mccallum: decent in parts
Giles: did ok first half against a tricky player but Tired quickly.
If we use wing backs we have to get them up the pitch more quickly

Sheaf: growing with every game...good prospect
Hamer: pretty anonymous but we did look more solid with him there.

Allen: works really hard but looks lost at times. Would be more effective if we had a creative player alongside.
Shipley: is the championship one step too far.

Godden: not strong enough and to slow to play up top on his own. Has to get in front of defenders and just doesn’t/can’t. Without support he can’t get into games.

Walker and Dabo not fit
O’Hare didn’t change anything.

Overall: defensively much better until right at end. Nothing creative and toothless upfront. A bit unlucky to lose but need to worry opposition in their half if we are going to win.

PVA

I agree with most of the general ratings given so far, but I do not agree with a lot of the stick that Godden seems to be getting.

5s and 6s for him is ridiculous. You can't mark him down for a lack of service, he absolutely worked his socks off, must have covered an incredible amount of ground and won his fair share of headers and flick ons. Also created our best chance.

Shipley unfortunately was terrible. He does have these games every now and then where he seemingly can't complete a pass.

But worst of all he fluffed our two best chances. The first when Godden squared it across goal and Shipley had a 3 yard headstart on his man but the defender got there first. He tried to use his left foot which gave the defender time to get back. You're 6 yards out, just swing with your right, you can't miss. If it was the other way round Godden would have 100% scored.

Then the second one we had a bit of a breakaway and Shipley found himself in space on the left with Godden and Allen in the box. He just had to square it to Godden but instead floated a weird pass at waist height to nobody.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Agreed, thought he was poor tonight. People seem to get enamoured by him trying some fancy balls a few times a game but he gives the ball away a lot and for a defensive midfielder he let's players waltz past him far too easily.

Consider moving him to a slightly more advanced position? Trying to link up with the striker rather than the ACM's? ACM hasn't looked great so far this season. Sure O'Hare and Allen have put in the effort, as has Shipley but that quality isn't there. Dunno if Hilssner will be any improvement but he'll have to be given a chance as we are. Or we play a second striker and have the two alternating between the forward/ACM position?

Something needs to change anyway.

Warwickhunt

i dont think Shipley has fully recovered from concussion! its a weird thing to deal with.

Legia Sky Blue

Shipley reminds me a bit of how John Eustace was for us years ago: gets in good positions through sheer hard work / reading the game well, but then doesn't have the skill to take advantage of them.

Still think he is a useful member of the squad even though he had a mare last night.

Eustace was much better than most of our fans recognised, and but for injuries would have been a top player. Even so he still had a very good career at Championship level.

chinamans view

We look out of our depth in this league , wing backs so often court out of position, all 3 centre backs to slow many times in games, we have at least 2 defensive midfielders and we still let in goals and forward players that cant make goals likely , its going to be very hard this season , so hope our players can learn from what they have shown so far and improve. We will do well not to finish in bottom 3. but i think we can improve if our tactics change

cc84cov

We look out of our depth in this league , wing backs so often court out of position, all 3 centre backs to slow many times in games, we have at least 2 defensive midfielders and we still let in goals and forward players that cant make goals likely , its going to be very hard this season , so hope our players can learn from what they have shown so far and improve. We will do well not to finish in bottom 3. but i think we can improve if our tactics change
Can’t remember facing so many high presses in league 1 it’s a massive issue and with no planB prepared we look stuck

Users who are viewing this thread