player ratings vs shrewsbury town (1 Viewer)

skybluegod

Sorry but that is tosh. He put numerous crosses on, hit the bar, and worked created a couple of openings for adams in the first half. In the second he put that cross in for clarke header that went narrowly wide, also provided the cross when clarke effort was cleared off the line, shit another great shot where McGoldrick nearly scored from the rebound. He was always driving forward and was a constant threat on the left hand side with Adams.

It was an awful miss but overall he was our biggest attacking threat today. Baker on the other hand was gash.

Numerous crosses into the crowd yes. Made one opening for Adams yes. It wasn't sheffers witch the cross for Clarke it was baker. Yeah his first good corner of the match for Clarke second chance. Driving forward when he just passed to Adams to do it all.

Woodster

Murphy - 7
Not to blame for the goal, thought his distribution was fine and was generally solid with his handling.
Christie - 4
Out of sorts and lacking confidence, time to bring Clarke back in but I hope a couple of off days don't dampen his enthusiasm for getting forward.
Wood - 6
Dealt with Morgan better than Edjenguele but guilty of some poor distribution.
Edjenguele - 5
To quote Peter Reid he was out-physicalled today, would like to see him carry the ball more.
Adams - 7
Impressed me with his attacking intent, I feel his first goal won't be far off. Defended solidly too.
Baker - 5
Got into some good positions but failed to capitalise. Didn't make Christie's life any easier by some lazy back tracking.
Fleck - 6
Right decision to take him off. Did what he did well excellently but didn't show the ethic from the MK game that impressed me so much. Shame.
Moussa - 6
Looked tired and was largely ineffective as the game passed him by somewhat.
Jennings - 5
Looked leggy and lacked energy too, poor first touches and contributed next to nothing offensively. Rest on Saturday?
McSheffrey - 7
Very lively first half and unlucky when he hit the bar. Faded in the second and to not hit the target for the open goal was inexcusable .
McGoldrick - 5
Didn't seem to have the ball under control at any point. Looked a smidge distracted.

Clarke - 6
Like the look of him, should've taken one of his chances though.
Bailey - 6
Brought a calming influence but wasn't involved in anything that noteworthy.

Last edited:

stupot07

Numerous crosses into the crowd yes. Made one opening for Adams yes. It wasn't sheffers witch the cross for Clarke it was baker. Yeah his first good corner of the match for Clarke second chance. Driving forward when he just passed to Adams to do it all.

Your wrong Clarkes first header came from a left wing cross from mcsheffrey......

But Clarke, who scored two of his outstanding 11 in 15 league games for Scunthorpe against the Sky Blues, almost made himself an instant hero when he glanced a Gary McSheffrey cross inches wide with his very first touch of his City career.

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2013/01/01/coventry-city-0-shrewsbury-town-1-andy-turner-s-big-match-analysis-92746-32529210/2/#ixzz2GllYY3NL

Mucca Mad Boys

Fleck doesn't have more goals they both have 2.

McSheffrey has 1 (v Pompey) in the league.

You take their goals:game ratio, Fleck is better he scores 0.11 a game, to McSheffrey's 0.052. There may be only 2 games in it. Fleck also scored his goals on the LM.

Fleck also has a better assist:game ratio, Fleck has 0.35 to Sheffs 0.21. Again, most of Flecks were when he played LM.

I'll admit Fleck isn't good at defending (pre-season I acknowledged this) but to hold that against him in defence of Sheff, is laughable, we're taking to the next level here. McSheff leaves his LB exposed, hence why we played Sheff AMC with Moussa LM (whilst swapping) also, I'd start Moussa on the left because he's better defensively than McSheff.

There we have it, Fleck has scored more goals, assisted more goals in less games, whilst being played out of position for most of the games he's played. Grendel, your opinions are valid, but I have stats on my side, you have... ??? I also believe your opinions are either influenced by, you holding on to the 80s (football has moved on), or your despising of Thorn.

Grendel

skybluegod

Your wrong Clarkes first header came from a left wing cross from mcsheffrey......

But Clarke, who scored two of his outstanding 11 in 15 league games for Sc-unithorpe against the Sky Blues, almost made himself an instant hero when he glanced a Gary McSheffrey cross inches wide with his very first touch of his City career.

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/coventry-city-fc/coventry-city-fc-news/2013/01/01/coventry-city-0-shrewsbury-town-1-andy-turner-s-big-match-analysis-92746-32529210/2/#ixzz2GllYY3NL
I stand corrected but still one or two good crosses in a match when he had so many opportunities is not good enough

Otis

He missed an open goal, he failed, as per, in his defensive duties, thankfully Adams more than coped.

Down the left, Adams was more of a threat, put in good crosses and cut in to have shots, the real Adams. McSheffrey was good 1st half, probably a 7 at this point, but 2nd half, about a 5 and because he missed an open goal, I stuck with 5.

Say what you like about Fleck, everyone is entitled to an opinion on how football should be played, but the midfield dominated in the 1st half, caught on the break a couple of times, and Fleck was at the centre of that, switching play, playing tasty passes for Adams to latch on, he also let Moussa and McSheffrey go forward, and in McSheffrey's case, cut in. When Fleck got substituted, the whole midfield's performances dropped, Moussa weren't getting forward, McSheff weren't cutting in, there wasn't much. We had to resort to crossing it in to McG or Clarke.

When Clarke came on, he was our biggest threat.

Think you are missing the point slightly, Taylor. The midfield's performance dropped when Fleck went off because we replaced a midfielder with an attacker.

Grendel

Think you are missing the point slightly, Taylor. The midfield's performance dropped when Fleck went off because we replaced a midfielder with an attacker.

Probably doesn't matter on FIFA 2012 especially if Barcelona is your selected team.

Mucca Mad Boys

How have I missed the point?

I may as well have wrote an essay on the formation 4-4-2 in pre-season, welcome to scroll through my comments.

Moving to 4-4-2 didn't help, that said, we also missed out on the passing prowess of Fleck (especially with Bailey not on yet) and our passing game suffered because Fleck was taken off.

Also, if Fleck was as bad as some make out, or 'non existent', wouldn't we have done better when we took him off? He is a good player who is having trouble winning over some.

dongonzalos

I may as well have wrote an essay on the formation 4-4-2 in pre-season, welcome to scroll through my comments.

Moving to 4-4-2 didn't help, that said, we also missed out on the passing prowess of Fleck (especially with Bailey not on yet) and our passing game suffered because Fleck was taken off.

Also, if Fleck was as bad as some make out, or 'non existent', wouldn't we have done better when we took him off? He is a good player who is having trouble winning over some.

Luckily by reading this thread it is clear he has won more over than he has detractors

Otis

Missed the point, because you said the midfield's performance dropped when Fleck went off. We replaced a midfielder with a striker, therefore weakened the midfield to strengthen the attack.

That therefore is not down to it being because of Fleck, it is down to the fact that we had one less in midfield.

And all I can say about his performance is, you obviously didn't watch him when he didn't have the ball. It was quite shocking at times. Dare I say it, school boy stuff.

When he hasn't got the ball he's a liability. We should have taken him off at half-time and brought Bailey on.

covcity4life

fleck looked good and i was pleasently surprised by his work rate and tackling,think he was poor in first 10 minutes though so can see otis point

i agree 2 upfront was not a good move and i would have liked jennings to go off not fleck personally.

Otis

2 upfront changed our shape and it didn't work.

Guess MR wanted to try DMC and Clarke together.

There is no doubt at all about Fleck's ability when he's on the ball.

Mucca Mad Boys

Missed the point, because you said the midfield's performance dropped when Fleck went off. We replaced a midfielder with a striker, therefore weakened the midfield to strengthen the attack.

That therefore is not down to it being because of Fleck, it is down to the fact that we had one less in midfield.

And all I can say about his performance is, you obviously didn't watch him when he didn't have the ball. It was quite shocking at times. Dare I say it, school boy stuff.

When he hasn't got the ball he's a liability. We should have taken him off at half-time and brought Bailey on.

Where did passing game go though then? We may have changed formation, but we still tried to pass it around, fact is, no one could do it. Fleck was the only player to play a penetrating pass through their defence. Fact. Had he been replaced by a midfielder, the passing game still would've went to shit. I agree if Fleck was to be taken off, Bailey should've been brought on.

He put in a good tackle on their big 10, Morgan. He pressed the ball ok, I will admit he wasn't great off the ball, but this is what I said in preseason, this is what would've happened if we played him CM, give him the 'free role' and he'll do even better.

Since this pretty much a Fleck or McSheff choice, again, I ask, why would you start McSheff? For a start, Fleck has a better goals:game ratio and assists:game ratio, in less games, most of which were whilst playing LM, out of position, btw. Furthermore, you and Grendel so happily slate him 'off the ball', but, is Sheff any better off the ball? No, he isn't, McSheff admitted (when in the champ) he was the "worst defender in the league", McSheff is lightweight in the tackle (regardless of what side he is on), useless at backtracking, leaving his LB badly exposed. It I literally, what ever McSheff can do, Fleck can do it better.

He also covered gaps (LB) when he moved he ball on and everyone was further up field than he.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

2 upfront changed our shape and it didn't work.

Guess MR wanted to try DMC and Clarke together.

There is no doubt at all about Fleck's ability when he's on the ball.

4-4-2 doesn't work for CCFC, yesterday proved that, no fluidity in our passing game we had v MKD and the games before. Moussa suffered the most as a result of the change, he couldn't take the ball and go forward with it because there was no cover and, no one was linking up with him. McSheff and Baker aren't 4-4-2 wingers as they can't cross that well and a fluid formation suits them as they can cut in. That should be the 4-4-2 discussion to bed, doesn't work for CCFC, and hasn't worked in my time as a supporter (granted, not very long).

I'm glad we tried it, but it's failed and if McG does stay, Clarke will probably have to sit on the bench, but be brought on as an impact sub.

Fleck is just as good off the ball as McSheff as well as being better on it. Fleck is probably our best player on the ball.

stupot07

If it was a straight choice between sheff and fleck for the position sheff has been playing in I would pick sheff on current form.

Mucca Mad Boys

If it was a straight choice between sheff and fleck for the position sheff has been playing in I would pick sheff on current form.

What form? He's dipping as well, last 2 games Fleck has been the better player of the 2.

I wouldn't play Fleck LM, I'd play him AMC in a 'free role', with Moussa on the wing, a more pacey, skillful player on the ball and better defensively than shufty.

Grendel

What form? He's dipping as well, last 2 games Fleck has been the better player of the 2.

I wouldn't play Fleck LM, I'd play him AMC in a 'free role', with Moussa on the wing, a more pacey, skillful player on the ball and better defensively than shufty.

Do you think we have won more games with fleck in the team or out of the team.

Mucca Mad Boys

Do you think we have won more games with fleck in the team or out of the team.

We've won a fair few when he's played.

We don't win or lose because Fleck plays or doesn't play.

On that logic, what about McSheff last season :facepalm:

Weak link Grendel, step it up a bit.

pusbccfc

Sheffs goal ratio is awful. A goal every 14 games or something?

Otis

Sheff is a much better option than Fleck for me.

Trouble is though, they don't usually play in the same position anyway, so it's a moot point.

Fleck's off the ball play is quite shocking. Fully expect him to be dropped in favour of Bailey.

Grendel

We've won a fair few when he's played.

We don't win or lose because Fleck plays or doesn't play.

On that logic, what about McSheff last season :facepalm:

Weak link Grendel, step it up a bit.

We have won 8 games in the league when mcsheffrey has started and 3 with fleck. Of course win ratios mean nothing.

Interestingly mcsheffrey didn't start any of the first seven games under thorn and shaw.

Mucca Mad Boys

We have won 8 games in the league when mcsheffrey has started and 3 with fleck. Of course win ratios mean nothing.

Interestingly mcsheffrey didn't start any of the first seven games under thorn and shaw.

Neither did Fleck, accept for Yeovil...

Mucca Mad Boys

Sheff is a much better option than Fleck for me.

Trouble is though, they don't usually play in the same position anyway, so it's a moot point.

Fleck's off the ball play is quite shocking. Fully expect him to be dropped in favour of Bailey.

McSheff had been playing AMC, for a good 5-6 game run, including Walsall, they play the same positions, LM or AMC.

McSheff is just as, if not, worse off the ball than Fleck, but with less assists and goals? :thinking about:

Mucca Mad Boys

Wasn't one of flecks goals a pen? So just one goal from open play each then.

Still have to score the pen.

McSheff missed possibly the most important pen I've witnessed, v Millwall which would've gave us a fighting chance of survival.

Users who are viewing this thread