Player of the Season top 5 (1 Viewer)

Kilclines curly mullet

I’m genuinely gobsmacked at how much Eccles-love there is, nowhere near the top 5 for me, I get that he puts in a shift but wouldn’t say he’s game-changing in any way.

1) Sakamoto
2) Van Ewijk
3) Wright
4) Bidwell
5) Thomas
I feel the same about Sakamoto.

Didnt get a look in before November.

Played a decent run of 10 games or so adding in some goals along the way

Was poor in the month leading up to his injury.

To make it clear, not having any go at the guy in the slightest but how he makes it into the top 5 (let alone 1st) is baffling to me.

skybluecam

I’m genuinely gobsmacked at how much Eccles-love there is, nowhere near the top 5 for me, I get that he puts in a shift but wouldn’t say he’s game-changing in any way.

1) Sakamoto
2) Van Ewijk
3) Wright
4) Bidwell
5) Thomas
Sakamoto player of the season after starting less than half our games? Come off it now

Hertsccfc

1) Sakamoto
2) Van Ewijk
3) Wright
4) Bidwell
5) Thomas
Maybe it's time to reflect. There's three of you on here who slate him all the time yet most rate him and so do Robins and Viveash. He's been a regular in the team for over a year and a half. Just maybe you're missing something.

Grendel

Maybe it's time to reflect. There's three of you on here who slate him all the time yet most rate him and so do Robins and Viveash. He's been a regular in the team for over a year and a half. Just maybe you're missing something.

To be fair you said palmer could be the next player destined for the Premier League

BlueSkiesForever

I get that he’s very reliable, dependable and always puts in a shift, and that’s something that’s definitely hard to come by, I genuinely get that but at the same time I feel like we really could do with an upgrade in that area if we want to make automatics next season. Someone that has all those qualities and more, someone with a bit of pace and flair, not just for the sake of it but someone that can actually consistently make quality long range passes or dribble well etc.
I wouldn’t sell Eccles at all but in time I see him being a solid bench option rather than him being our main midfielder.

BlueSkiesForever

Sakamoto player of the season after starting less than half our games? Come off it now
I get that not many will agree but what we did for us before he got injured was genuinely amazing, no one in our team can attack the wing and create chances like he can, such a threat in every area. We’ve massively missed him since he’s been out and I think the results have reflected that.

BlueSkiesForever

I feel the same about Sakamoto.

Didnt get a look in before November.

Played a decent run of 10 games or so adding in some goals along the way

Was poor in the month leading up to his injury.

To make it clear, not having any go at the guy in the slightest but how he makes it into the top 5 (let alone 1st) is baffling to me.
Just have to agree to disagree on this one I think. I’m seeing a completely different player to what you’re seeing, and that’s sound, opinions are just opinions at the end of the day. I just thought Saka brought a magical/uplifting energy to the club, something that none of our other signings have done, maybe apart from MVE, but that’s just my interpretation.

Skybluekyle

Sheaf
Bidwell
MvE
Thomas
Eccles

(Sakamoto would be in my list, but I feel he has missed too many games, either due to an unsuitable formation or injury - I think he was very good for large spells)

Also, weird question, I am new to posting here. When creating a list, do you need to press "alt+enter" to create the line break, or can you just press "enter"? I am just concerned I may post my reply before I am finished if I only press "enter". And yes, I accept I maybe overthinking the functionality of an online forum...

Hertsccfc

Sheaf
Bidwell
MvE
Thomas
Eccles

(Sakamoto would be in my list, but I feel he has missed too many games, either due to an unsuitable formation or injury - I think he was very good for large spells)

Also, weird question, I am new to posting here. When creating a list, do you need to press "alt+enter" to create the line break, or can you just press "enter"? I am just concerned I may post my reply before I am finished if I only press "enter". And yes, I accept I maybe overthinking the functionality of an online forum...
Welcome to the forum. You can just press enter.

Also if you post by mistake you can edit after anyway via the edit button.

clint van damme

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

1) Sakamoto
2) Van Ewijk
3) Wright
4) Bidwell
5) Thomas
Your point becomes a little bit irrelevant when you follow it up by not including our player of the season in your top 5 to be honest

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

1) Sakamoto
2) Van Ewijk
3) Wright
4) Bidwell
5) Thomas
He's a regular who very rarely puts in a bad performance. He's a reliable performer if not spectacular.

Wright and Simms have both had very poor spells at times, Sakamoto looked poor before we switched formation to better suit him. Sometimes just being solid and dependable is enough if that's your role.

Mucca Mad Boys

If you don’t put our top scorer in the top five PotS candidates I’ve got some serious questions.

Simms is our top goal scorer overall and Hadji Wright is our top goal scorer and assister (joint with MVE) in the league.

It’s a non-starter that they are in our top 5 players of the season.

To think they were slow starters too, they have both had great first seasons and made a lot of bed wetters look silly.

Last edited:

Bertola

Wright
Sheaf
Bidwell
Thomas
Simms

Wright just pips Sheaf for me, due to delivering the greatest moments of the season, setting up the equaliser (I know its technically Thomas's assist) and scoring the winner vs Wolves, and then scoring the equaliser and setting up the winner that never was vs Man Utd

SkyBlueMatt

Sheaf
Simms
Wright
MvE
Bidwell

I put Bidwell in but could have quite easily have Eccles or Thomas. O'Hare not being in there is a case of 'what have to done for me lately', which maybe unfair.

It is good to see the different names in the list, though I think the top 3 of my list should be in everyones. It shows that we have a better 'team' than last season.

SwanLane

Sheaf
MVE
Thomas
Wright
Bidwell

If it was based on the second half of the season, Simms would be in. Eccles has now established himself as a decent championship player. Just not quite top 5 material for me (yet).

WestEndAgro

Anyone who hasn't got Eccles in the top 5, clearly has no idea about football.
Head and shoulders one of the most consistent players this season.
Add Bidwell & Thomas then the other two can arguably come from Wright, Simms, Saka and Sheaf.

skybluecam

Anyone who hasn't got Eccles in the top 5, clearly has no idea about football.
Head and shoulders one of the most consistent players this season.
Add Bidwell & Thomas then the other two can arguably come from Wright, Simms, Saka and Sheaf.
Wright and Sheaf have to be in there. Simms too if you look at his contributions to the cup run.

mmttww

Sheaf
Eccles
Mve

They've played most games and have been most consistent

add Bidwell to that list and those are the only four I think should be considered.

Wright and Simms have been good but not often enough esp. early doors.

and Sakamoto had 10-15 great games after we switched formation but that was it.

Users who are viewing this thread