• Yes

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • No, but we will finish just outside the top 6

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • No. Will finish quite a few points adrift of a top 6 place

Votes: 37 52.1%

• Total voters

Otis

Been a few threads about whether we can make the play-offs and of course the answer is, it is possible.

We know it is possible for sure, but my question would be, do you now believe we will?

Do you think we will now make the play-offs or not?

I am now back in the no play-offs camp. Our home form is abysmal at best. The worst of all the teams in the top half of League One.

We all said this needed addressing a number of games ago. It still hasn't been addressed.

Simply cannot now seeing us winning 8 games out of the remaining 12 to be in with a chance. Hoem form is going to kill us.

Last edited:

Moff

Probably as much chance as a Crewe fan being humble on the fourm, or a Sunderland fan sending Jimmy Hill a birthday card.

rupert_bear

Tall order but those above us ae no great shakes either. Take Bournemouth top a week ago sixth today, but we need a mini run now three or four in a rowas we are running out of games, tough ask.

wingy

The Dynamics have gone ,DMC ,Manager ,Owner upheaval,think we're likely for a sub 70 point total .

Gaz

I think us making the play offs depends on who becomes our next manager.

Paxman II

A disappointment today to say the least O.
When Robins left Carsly changed nothing except tweak the back 4 a bit with some added attention to addressing the reason for always conceding.
Well that conceding pattern returned today. If players are to be heard Leon said today Crasley had changed a few things around. My question is why?
Today we lacked control in the middle of the park. Ball, Barton where are they Bell even? Wiiis, Wilson send a message that the squad we claim so strong is suddenly weaker? That will affect players knowing that competition for a place is now threatened by a reserve player looking for a debut. That's poor management. We seemed to have a sense of defeat about us today. Perhaps we have had a game too many against Crewe? Well they are in the JPT at our expense which is something to feel good about. But we had nothing to lose today and knew playoffs are screaming at us. Motivation and those tweaks by Carsley have left the players with a mountain to climb.
I said when Robiins went we neeeded a new manager immediately. Some say take your time and appoint carefully. What does it take to see a good replacement before you? Who needs time when your clubs lifeline is in the balance and playoffs beckoning? It's too late for Grayson now and a couple of others too. We need to appoint this week before Saturday. Had we done so already todays result may have been different. Carsley said they went to Crewe to give their all as he thought and the players they could still do it! Man that's a bad judgement for me. we paid the price today. That dam JPT I never wanted. So to answer the question in the poll it all depends on if we appoint before next Saturday. We really must get a result at Bournemouth and win next Saturday now or the task is too great.
Carsley's win at Crewe was a lucky one tbf. Even Dan went viral on that one. The win before it was fully expected so no surpise there. The first game of note for Carsly was today and we lost.
Get a manager in and yes we can certainly do it. Without a quick appointment we will lose our pattern which was showing on the pitch today.
I vote yes assuming we get the appointment. We play Bournemouth and Swindon maybe just at the right time as they look to wobble a bit.....but can we ourselves, this week do what we are capable of and cash in on that wobble? We really need to. Win at Bournemouth and then beat Swindon today will be forgotten. Here's hoping for a new man appointed within days...

Otis

But as Clive Eakin said today, even when Robins was in charge our home form was still poor. It's been poor all year.

I now wouldn't put money on us beating Colchester and Hartlepool at home for sure.

Could well see us losing those two too!

SkyBlue_Bear83

But as Clive Eakin said today, even when Robins was in charge our home form was still poor. It's been poor all year.

I now wouldn't put money on us beating Colchester and Hartlepool at home for sure.

If we lose to both of them we may as well pack it up, but I totally get where are coming from.

Paxman II

Kinda making my point for me, we must appoint a new manager quickly. Christ even Phil Brown (as much as I'm sure many think is a clown) would bring quick stability and experience.

A win today and the majority would be on here saying "give Carsley the job, 100% record" ect ect , yet defeat and its "new manager NOW , even if its Phil Brown"

The reality is somewhere in-between the two, Robins was a measured appointment by SISU (one of the few decisions they can get any credit for) and we need to make a similar judgement on the next appointment as what this club needs and craves at the moment is some leadership, direction and focus to galvanize fans and players, which , ultimately will come from the next manager.

Nonleagueherewecome

Carsley is better than Shaw, but you can tell from today's performance more than the result that he's not ready to be a full-time manager.

CJparker

the current poll result (at the time of writing 11% red, 38% blue and 50% yellow look like a foretaste of the Eastleigh by-election result!

Speng

We are shocking , not a chance with our home form , let's get out of that stadium ASAP

Paxman II

A win today and the majority would be on here saying "give Carsley the job, 100% record" ect ect , yet defeat and its "new manager NOW , even if its Phil Brown"

The reality is somewhere in-between the two, Robins was a measured appointment by SISU (one of the few decisions they can get any credit for) and we need to make a similar judgement on the next appointment as what this club needs and craves at the moment is some leadership, direction and focus to galvanize fans and players, which , ultimately will come from the next manager.

I see you are a new poster and clearly not keeping up too well?
I have suggested the day Robins went that a new manager should be got immediately and gave my reasoning then. I'm not saying suddenly "even Phil Brown" at all merely backing up what I said originally when calling for a new manager.
Then there were several very good chances of a good 'fit' for our club. Grayson and some others. The available good ones have lessened since in my opinion. It's not rocket science to make a good appointment quickly. This so called slow and methodical approach somehow gets the right guy guaranteed just because Robins turned out OK is B.S.

If we are to stay in contention we need to appoint now....far too much at stake otherwise. If it does not work, what have you lost? We will lose ground without a 'gaffer' (as Cyril Regis strikingly put it afterwards on the radio) who players know has total authority. For the first time in a while I saw some players heads drop today. A worrying sign that they need a gaffer quickly not a backroom pal.

Last edited:

Otis

But as has been said, even when Robins came in and did a great job, our home form was still very, very poor.

We still lost 5 home league games under Mark Robins.

Are people saying we are going to able to bring a manager in who could do what Mark Robins achieved? :confused: Because that is what will be needed. Looks like we need to win 8 out of the final 12 matches. Don't think even MR achieved that.

Hardly going to happen is it. That is just not rational thinking I'm afraid.

We still have the same problems we've had all season long.

1. Our defence lets in silly goals.

2. We are very vulnerable to counter attacks.

3. Our crossing is atrocious, especially from full back positions.

4. We miss stacks of chances in game after game.

5. Our success rate from the numerous corners we have is very low.

6. Our home form is the worst of any team in the top half of the division.

We had people talking about being in or around the play-offs come Jan 1st. Well, we were just outside. It is now nearly March and we still haven't been in there or got that close.

We had people talking about winning 5 games in a row (that's probably what is going to be needed here). 5 in a row? You know what our best winning run in the league is all season? TWO! 2 games in a row is the best we have achieved.

Suddenly we are going to get in a better manager than Robins who can guide the club to 8 wins out of 12? :(

I know we all want to cling on to the dream, but the bottom line is that we are not good enough.

It may only seem like 8 points and closer than we think, but with all the consistent factors of failure listed above you have to say we simply will not be able to make up that deficit.

We need a number of teams now to fail and we have at least 3 teams behind us who can overtake us, having games in hand.

Or season, though not over just yet, could well be following the Bournemouth and Swindon games. You have to think we need to win both of those, yet we probably won't even have a new manager at the helm by then and that is something we do desperately need.

Last edited:

Otis

If you count the JPT, that's 3 home games in a row we've lost. Hardly inspires you with confidence for a great run does it!

Grendel

I see you are a new poster and clearly not keeping up too well?
I have suggested the day Robins went that a new manager should be got immediately and gave my reasoning then. I'm not saying suddenly "even Phil Brown" at all merely backing up what I said originally when calling for a new manager.
Then there were several very good chances of a good 'fit' for our club. Grayson and some others. The available good ones have lessened since in my opinion. It's not rocket science to make a good appointment quickly. This so called slow and methodical approach somehow gets the right guy guaranteed just because Robins turned out OK is B.S.

If we are to stay in contention we need to appoint now....far too much at stake otherwise. If it does not work, what have you lost? We will lose ground without a 'gaffer' (as Cyril Regis strikingly put it afterwards on the radio) who players know has total authority. For the first time in a while I saw some players heads drop today. A worrying sign that they need a gaffer quickly not a backroom pal.

A win away at bury and a home defeat to Crewe sounds very much like two results in the robins era.

Our he form has been dire and robins has never managed to resolve defensive frailties. Mcgoldricks departure and a declining input from baker are going to hit is harder than the managers departure.

You constantly banged on about the advantage of our large squad. Crewe's bench was stinger than ours today.

We have not been in the top 6 all season and we won't be now even if we appoint tomorrow.

Otis

That's the reality of play-off talk.

There's talk of the play-offs yet we haven't been in the top 6 all season long and we are just as far away now as we have been for some time.

Thank you for your "warm" welcome to the board, I have only been a supporter for 35 years, so if you persevere , i will try and keep up to the high brow discussion on here.

My point was, that it is a balanced measured appointment that we need, not a name plucked out of a, frankly uninspiring list of candidates just to give us a short term boost.

Realistically, we are going to need 8-9 wins out of 12 to make the play offs, a feat not even Robins could achieve from a standing start.

I stated on a previous thread with reference to the Crewe manager, we need an appointment with next season and the season after in mind, a manager who can integrate players from the academy into the senior team, develop them and move them on for a profit.This, with an eye on spotting talent released from other clubs is going to be crucial to our survival as a club. The difficult part for most is the acceptance of what we are as a club NOW not in years gone by. We will sit alongside the Crewes, Notts Countys and Walsalls of this world in financially from next year, we need a manager who can work with those constraints, and this will involve a thorough process, that was my point
PUSB

LoyalSupporters

Thank you for your "warm" welcome to the board, I have only been a supporter for 35 years, so if you persevere , i will try and keep up to the high brow discussion on here.

My point was, that it is a balanced measured appointment that we need, not a name plucked out of a, frankly uninspiring list of candidates just to give us a short term boost.

Realistically, we are going to need 8-9 wins out of 12 to make the play offs, a feat not even Robins could achieve from a standing start.

I stated on a previous thread with reference to the Crewe manager, we need an appointment with next season and the season after in mind, a manager who can integrate players from the academy into the senior team, develop them and move them on for a profit.This, with an eye on spotting talent released from other clubs is going to be crucial to our survival as a club. The difficult part for most is the acceptance of what we are as a club NOW not in years gone by. We will sit alongside the Crewes, Notts Countys and Walsalls of this world in financially from next year, we need a manager who can work with those constraints, and this will involve a thorough process, that was my point
PUSB

Wrong thread my friend. But welcome! :)

Users who are viewing this thread