Play Offs (1 Viewer)

sky_blue_up_north

Can we finally put this debate to an end, been saying for weeks its not going to happen this season. Robins has far to much work to do with the squad we have. I don't think we'll go down but will be in the bottom half, which will be a result. We should put everything into the JPT, it would give the club and us long suffering fans a huge boost. I believe we have a great chance with that, beat Sheff Utd we're there in my opinion.

Last edited:

Paxman II

we have not even got to Xmas yet! It was poor resulkt today and work is still to be done but yes play offs are realistic. We will win more than we lose because this league is so poor. Just wait and see.

stupot07

Paxman - when robins took over the gap between us and 6th was 8 points, that gap is now 12 points. This is despite us picking up 14 points in 10 games.

People talk about momentum and the other day people were quick to point out we were 8th in the league one form table....we have now dropped to 17th in the form table W2 D1 L3

We're still not playing well and the majority of the players look substandard.

Sick Boy

We will win more than we lose because this league is so poor. Just wait and see.

We have won 4 times and lost 8. If this league is poor then what are we? If the play-offs are realistic for us, then they are realistic for all 24 teams in this league.

skybluesam66

history shows that from the last 29 games we will need around 58 points to make the play offs.

extrapolate that for a full season and that gives 92 points or top of table form - are we the best team in the league - no . Will we make the play offs - no
expect lower mid table at best

Otis

history shows that from the last 29 games we will need around 58 points to make the play offs.

extrapolate that for a full season and that gives 92 points or top of table form - are we the best team in the league - no . Will we make the play offs - no
expect lower mid table at best

I feel like a broken record with this and we don't even look like anything like a good side either. Not once have we truly looked like a side who are going places. Keep saying it is just a pipe dream, some people still not listening. 2nd best in just about every game and nearly all the teams are bigger, faster and stronger. Nearly every single team has had fast pacy wide men too.

Sent from my KIS using Tapatalk 2

Grendel

The bottom half a result ????

SERIOUSLY !!!

Unfortunately you have to look at anything above 14th as over-achievement.

We saw today how "great" these players are and the "quality" they exude.

January will be significant for the club as a whole. McGoldrick will be gone and will need to be replaced. Then the club has to shed itself of many of the awful players we have been shackled with over the summer.

All 9 summer signings are sub standard.

In addition McDonald is shocking - surely one of the worst to wear the number 9 shirt.

Then we have the serial under achievers like Bell and Mcsheffrey.

Survival is all we can hope for. Then we hope this manager has an eye for a player a lot lot better than the predecessor.

dongonzalos

We have won 4 times and lost 8. If this league is poor then what are we? If the play-offs are realistic for us, then they are realistic for all 24 teams in this league.

We are the idiots who sacked our manager after 3 games who the bloody hell in their right minds does that!.

Take 5 of those defeats away. Which were accountable to that stupid emotion based decision ( as highlighted by TF mingling with fans dropping hints what was coming, in his popularity campaign).

What are you left with 3 defeats the rest are wins and draws.

Last edited:

Grendel

We are the idiots who sacked are manager after 3 games who the bloody hell in their right minds dies that!.

Take 5 of those defeats away. Which were accountable to that stupid emotion based decision ( as highlighted by TF mingling with fans dropping hints what was coming, in his popularity campaign).

What are you left with 3 defeats the rest are wins and draws.

Grow up and let it go.

Thorn was crap. He signed crap. He has left us in the crap.

In your simple analysis you assume if thorn was manager for those 5 games we would have lost none of them. That is so ridiculous it is not even worth debating.

You said on a post recently most League One clubs would love to have some of our players. You are on an island of self delusion.

All 9 summer signings are tripe. They are worth nothing. McDonald is appalling.

The squad is rubbish.

dongonzalos

Grow up and let it go.

Thorn was crap. He signed crap. He has left us in the crap.

In your simple analysis you assume if thorn was manager for those 5 games we would have lost none of them. That is so ridiculous it is not even worth debating.

You said on a post recently most League One clubs would love to have some of our players. You are on an island of self delusion.

All 9 summer signings are tripe. They are worth nothing. McDonald is appalling.

The squad is rubbish.

Ok, total coincidence AT 3 draws sack him.

A win in the cup follows by 5 league defeats.

MR 3 defeats in 9. League matches.

It was a stupid decision, no question mark.

Personaly I fell it was a stupid decision alone to sack a football manager after 3 games. I would guess most football pundits and most reasonable people would agree.

However if you did that agree with that, then surely you must ask why the hell it took 4 defeats, but technically it cost 5 defeats to get a new manager in.

Grendel your explaination is the bloke who you previously called a good scout shite manager. Has over night became a shite scout.

Yet he is the same bloke who wanted to sign DMC, much to the ridicule of many, due to his shit scoring record.

It is not a shit squad, MR is a good manager. Anybody can do anybody in this league.

We should have beat Tranmere, Swindon.

We beat Crawley when they should have beaten us.

Last edited:

sky_blue_up_north

The bottom half a result ????

SERIOUSLY !!!

Well, that is where we are now. I know there are a lot of games till the end of the season, but if McGoldrick goes, who will score the goals. Without him we would be rock bottom. We need Robins to bring in his own players and look for promotion next season. So it will be bottom half. hoping for a JPT victory.

Theging1987

Well, that is where we are now. I know there are a lot of games till the end of the season, but if McGoldrick goes, who will score the goals. Without him we would be rock bottom. We need Robins to bring in his own players and look for promotion next season. So it will be bottom half. hoping for a JPT victory.

Couldn't agree more, lets take it season by season and look for our best chance of success, and this season is surely the jpt, and besides I wanna go wembley!!

blueflint

i'm gettin fed up with posts about play offs the league position doesn't lie we are in a relegation scrap again get used to it get behind the team we may get up to half way thats the most i expect:censored::censored::censored:

stupot07

Robins first league game was one of those 5 losses, he has lost 4 not 3. You can't just right of the first loss as a gimme. Does Bournemouth's first game win under Howe not count?

Paxman II

There is a fine line bewteen success and failure. the width of a post, a bad referee decision but overall that happens to everyone. What you can be certain of is what you see in front of you. What assessment do you make of the team? My assessment is that we look bloody awful at times and make no mistake other teams are even worse too. We have a few questionable players at the moment but overall our squad is half decent at this level, MR said so himself. They are getting something wrong and when the solution is found (and it will) they will improve as a team. Other teams in this league are over achieving and their bottom is going to fall out (like Walsall?) I can't see us getting worse but getting better. We have won a few ugly and been awful but it's mixed with some flashes of good stuff, many times taking the lead. Take Swindon as an example. You can't extrapolate results and say we can't make the play offs. I'm certain we can in this league from our position but is provided we can fix the problem our players seem to have and in MR I trust that will happen.

Last edited:

dongonzalos

Robins first league game was one of those 5 losses, he has lost 4 not 3. You can't just right of the first loss as a gimme. Does Bournemouth's first game win under Howe not count?

Remind me again how long did he get to train and prepare the squad for that first match?

stupot07

Remind me again how long did he get to train and prepare the squad for that first match?

He was appointed on the Wednesday and the game was on the Saturday, can't remember whether he trained with them on the Wednesday, so he had at least 2 training sessions if not 3 with them which is a lot long than Eddie Howe who joined Bournemouth the day before their next game, which they won 2-0......perhaps that win doesn't count?

ccfc92

He was appointed on the Wednesday and the game was on the Saturday, can't remember whether he trained with them on the Wednesday, so he had at least 2 training sessions if not 3 with them which is a lot long than Eddie Howe who joined Bournemouth the day before their next game, which they won 2-0......perhaps that win doesn't count?

eddie howe has a long connection with bournemouth. left them 2 seasons ago, most of the same players still there. bournemouth hated their previous manager, so when Howe was appointed they had the manager the squad wanted. whereas, Cov have no history with MR and tbh, I assume most Cov players didn't want him

dongonzalos

Do the players train on the Friday. If they do I can imagine it would be very light.

So really he probably had one proper training session with them.

I am going to stick with not holding him accountable for that first defeat if it is all the same with you.

Very little time to stamp a mark on the team.

That defeat was part of a series of 5 on the bounce created by a very unsettling period for namby pamby players

CarpyCov84

eddie howe has a long connection with bournemouth. left them 2 seasons ago, most of the same players still there. bournemouth hated their previous manager, so when Howe was appointed they had the manager the squad wanted. whereas, Cov have no history with MR and tbh, I assume most Cov players didn't want him

Agree 100%

CarpyCov84

It's true most players wouldn't of wanted Robins over other managers mentioned they will wanna play for the best a well known manager defo breeds confidence and makes players sit up and take note

stupot07

You can do what you want Don but it still goes down in the record books as a defeat under his reign, and I'm sure if he'd have won it you'd have been on here praising his instant impact.

The fact remains that the points gap between us and the play offs has widened by 4 points during his reign regardless of the 'good run' we've been on.

I'm not saying Robins is poor, more the fact the squad are poor and that play offs this season is nothing but a pipe dream.

dongonzalos

I think he is a good manager. However I don't think these players are for him.

I think they would have possiblly performed better for the manager who signed them.

I do think they should be capable of making the play offs I feel if they don't it will because either that 5 match run was too damaging. Or because MR doesn't rate them and they don't suit his playing tactics style etc...

If that is the case we will have to wait till MR has a clear out brings in the players that suit him.

However that will mean waiting another year and hoping shitsu are prepared to back him with 9 New signings.

I think if he does not sign well in January there is no certainty that they will back him.

I am under the impression he told TF and wag with a little bit of tinkering in the loan Window this lot can push on for promotion.

His signings don't seem to have had that impact. If that happens again in January. I bet SISU will bottle it and not back him in the summer.

Grendel

I think he is a good manager. However I don't think these players are for him.

I think they would have possiblly performed better for the manager who signed them.

I do think they should be capable of making the play offs I feel if they don't it will because either that 5 match run was too damaging. Or because MR doesn't rate them and they don't suit his playing tactics style etc...

If that is the case we will have to wait till MR has a clear out brings in the players that suit him.

However that will mean waiting another year and hoping shitsu are prepared to back him with 9 New signings.

I think if he does not sign well in January there is no certainty that they will back him.

I am under the impression he told TF and wag with a little bit of tinkering in the loan Window this lot can push on for promotion.

His signings don't seem to have had that impact. If that happens again in January. I bet SISU will bottle it and not back him in the summer.

You seem to still maintain the squad is good enough for promotion and without "those 5 games" and a change of manager we would be promotion candidates.

There is a slight issue with that - the players are rubbish.

CarpyCov84

You seem to still maintain the squad is good enough for promotion and without "those 5 games" and a change of manager we would be promotion candidates.

The players are not rubbish the manager and his staff are not getting the best out of them People like Fleck,McShef,McDonald,Wood,Clarke,Baker should be doing a lot better as this level no question said it at the start of season this squad is good enough for top 6 and 99% of people on here were saying the same pre-season WITH Thorn still here

Grendel

The players are not rubbish the manager and his staff are not getting the best out of them People like Fleck,McShef,McDonald,Wood,Clarke,Baker should be doing a lot better as this level no question said it at the start of season this squad is good enough for top 6 and 99% of people on here were saying the same pre-season WITH Thorn still here

McDonald has never achieved at this level and there is zero evidence to suggest he ever will.
McSheffrey when his contract expires this season will get zero interest from clubs at this level
Fleck is totally unsuitable -a player who has little stamina
Baker is a lower league journeyman as proved by his very mediocre career (though it is a career vastly superior to McDonalds)
Wood is a huge disappointment - we can see now why the only interested buyer was Chesterfield

None of these players would get a look in in a good side in this league. They are poor or in McSheffrey's case past it.

stupot07

I've just been a geek and looked at the Bournemouth team sheets, of the 22 players Howe has used only 5 were there when he was manager, and only 2 have started a game for him (Pugh and Arter). The other 13 who have started for him (9 are regulars) were all signed after he left.

Grendel

I've just been a geek and looked at the Bournemouth team sheets, of the 22 players Howe has used only 5 were there when he was manager, and only 2 have started a game for him (Pugh and Arter). The other 13 who have started for him (9 are regulars) were all signed after he left.

I looked at is as well. Clearly you have as interesting a social life as me.

Looking at the players assembled they look pretty good so there must be some issue with the ex manager.

The owners are notoriously eccentric but they have invested in some good players.

dongonzalos

I guess now we will never know......

dongonzalos

Including Duffy/Grendal who said any manager can get promotion with this squad. He expected AT to do it. However he still wanted him sacked once he did, as he would then struggle in the championship.

Now 'not a manager in the world' no less could get promotion with this squad.

Have to say Grendel puts politicians to shame......

WillieStanley

The difference was though, Don, a few weeks ago, we were only going on what we knew about what the players have done in the past. On paper we have a really strong squad, but for some reason they're only showing glimpses of that and at this stage, we can all see that it's going to take a lot of work for them all to live up to their potential. Fortunately we have a Manager who seems willing to think outside the box to motivate and encourage. Every single one of us throught differently about the squad in August to how we see them now.

Users who are viewing this thread