Platini praises Football League (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

platini_1409182c.jpg

UEFA president Michel Platini has hailed the Football League's 72 clubs for signing up to a financial fair play system.

The system means Championship clubs will only be allowed to spend what they earn from the 2012-13 season.

Meanwhile, sides in League One and Two will not be permitted to spend more than 55 per cent of their turnover on player wages.

The Frenchman believes the new measures will allow clubs to operate within sensible restrictions.

And those clubs which breach the rules are likely to be handed a transfer ban with potential points deductions for major offenders.

Platini said:

"We are very happy to see that Football League clubs, under the umbrella of the FA, are again taking the initiative on good governance issues by introducing Financial Fair Play.

"We are delighted that enlightened football bodies across the continent are trying to restore financial sanity to football on a national level, just as we are trying to do on a European level."

In a report by analysts Deloitte, debts at Football League clubs amount to £700million with more than one third of clubs paying out more in wages than they receive in revenue.

I just don't see how this is going to work, without bringing competitive high level English Football to an end?? People like MK will drop from £15k to £3k. I just don't see it.

Paxman II

What a stylish great player he was. However in his current role he has made few fans in this country.
This latest idea while i agree in principal it also means that they are trying to nail the coffin down of our highly successful leagues here in the UK as Europe simply can't compete.
Our Championship was widely the 2nd largest supported league in Europe again last season and only the premier league bettered that.
Get my drift?

In the immediate future it looks a disaster for most clubs!

Ernie Machin

I think you'll find the Bundesliga is the best supported league in the world - as well as being the best run too - England should be looking at the German model, not the debt ridden La Liga one.

Platini's motivation might be suspect, but he's absolutely right on this - this Premier League bubble is going to burst sooner rather than later, the wages are out of control and it can't be sustained - if it means fewer top class players playing in England, that's the price we have to pay.

Not sure how they'll enforce this yet, mind.

egastap

What a stylish great player he was. However in his current role he has made few fans in this country.
This latest idea while i agree in principal it also means that they are trying to nail the coffin down of our highly successful leagues here in the UK as Europe simply can't compete.
Our Championship was widely the 2nd largest supported league in Europe again last season and only the premier league bettered that.
Get my drift?

In the immediate future it looks a disaster for most clubs!

Sorry Paxman, the latest data I have seen, link below, is as follows:

League Avg Attendance
1.Bundesliga 41802
2.Eng. Prem 34150
3.LaLiga 28286
4.Mexican 25379
5.Serie A 24957
6.Lique 1 20089
7.Eredivisie 19827
8.Japan 19126
9.Championship 17891

So, taking out the Mexican and Japanese Leagues, it makes the Championship the 7th most watched.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_attendance_figures_at_domestic_professional_sports_leagues

egastap

I think you'll find the Bundesliga is the best supported league in the world - as well as being the best run too - England should be looking at the German model, not the debt ridden La Liga one.

Platini's motivation might be suspect, but he's absolutely right on this - this Premier League bubble is going to burst sooner rather than later, the wages are out of control and it can't be sustained - if it means fewer top class players playing in England, that's the price we have to pay.

Not sure how they'll enforce this yet, mind.

Used to work for a couple of German companies, and my German colleagues tell me that the price to attend is a major factor in so many people getting their 'bums on seats'.

Ernie Machin

Absolutely - it's still a working class game in Germany, people can afford it and the atmosphere generated makes people want to go to the games. It's got to be better than pricing people out of the game to pay for the ridiculous wages. Germany is a commercial league, but it's not dominated by money - there is still a sense of community and they live within their means - crazy thought eh?

Users who are viewing this thread