Plan B (1 Viewer)

Saddlebrains

Do we have one?

Its been clear since game 1. Press high, stop our wing backs you win the game.

What would your plan B/ change of formation be?

CanadianCCFC

The problem is that Godden isn’t fast or strong and since technical football is our plan A we need one of those attributes up top for plan B. At the same time we can’t just bin off Godden, he’s an intelligent striker who gets goals. When we try to partner him with one of our other sub par strikers (no opinion on Walker yet, haven’t seen enough), our 3 in midfield (one of them being O’Hare so really it’s like 2 in midfield) get overrun.

Sky Blue Harry H

Keep 10 (Edit: I meant 11 !!!) men on the pitch for a start. Game was over against any decent team when that happens. Complete overreaction by some (although I understand why - borne out of disappointment) on the match thread, and some sad abuse of our own players too. Don't like it to be honest. We came up with togetherness. Some a bit quick to turn on their own.

Last edited:

CanadianCCFC

Keep 10 men on the pitch for a start. Game was over against any decent team when that happens. Complete overreaction by some (although I understand why - borne out of disappointment) on the match thread, and some sad abuse of our own players too. Don't like it to be honest. We came up with togetherness. Some a bit quick to turn on their own.
Shocking behaviour really

cc84cov

Surely with Max & Baka on the bench when we are faced such a good high press & have no out ball we can go long to the big men ? We just don’t change it today we Should of gone long at half time

There is a time and place to play football Down to 10 at home hemmed in by such a high press wasn’t it Robins was stubborn today with changing it maybe as players on the bench were not fit enough to play that amount of time arguably

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Keep 10 men on the pitch for a start. Game was over against any decent team when that happens. Complete overreaction by some (although I understand why - borne out of disappointment) on the match thread, and some sad abuse of our own players too. Don't like it to be honest. We came up with togetherness. Some a bit quick to turn on their own.

We did manage to keep 10 men on the pitch. Personally I'd prefer 11.

Esoterica

Which is what ? Genuinely interested to hear your view you make good points mate for me with big lads on the bench we go long ?

Where is our strength this year? In the DMs for me - Kelly, Sheaf and Hamer. Sheaf and Hamer are quarterbacks anyway, rather than traditional DMs - so base the team around those 3.

O'Hare and Walker play as inside forwards, not wingers, and give us some pace off godden.

The width still comes from the fullbacks as it does currently - we already know they like to get forward. With 3 CMs we have cover when a fullback does get forward.

Ditch the possession football from the back and look to get the ball forward through the lines a bit quicker than we do now. We look best playing a direct counter attack style, like today with Godden's chance against the post. We've been struggling when we try and maintain possession anyhow.

Our squad just isn't strong enough to be starting Allen, Shipley, Bakayko every week while they learn and adapt to the Championship. But they'll be fine for 30 minutes in a game.

1603558060411.png

SkyblueTexan

Apart from the Barnsley match, we haven’t keep a clean sheet all season. That would be a start. Having some confidence/belief and not committing stupid red card offenses like tapping someone on the face or pushing someone in the back in the penalty box right in front of the ref would also be an added bonus. Figuring out a way around the press will also go a long way. When teams like Wycombe are showing more fight in the last few games (in spite of the final scoreline) while we are trending towards leaking more goals, the signs are a little troubling. We need to capitalize on the few chances we get instead of hitting the post or bar. Not getting overrun in midfield would also help. I don’t know if this means a formation change or a change in tactics, but clearly something has to change because doing the same thing every match and expecting a different outcome is foolish.

cc84cov

Where is our strength this year? In the DMs for me - Kelly, Sheaf and Hamer. Sheaf and Hamer are quarterbacks anyway, rather than traditional DMs - so base the team around those 3.

O'Hare and Walker play as inside forwards, not wingers, and give us some pace off godden.

The width still comes from the fullbacks as it does currently - we already know they like to get forward. With 3 CMs we have cover when a fullback does get forward.

Ditch the possession football from the back and look to get the ball forward through the lines a bit quicker than we do now. We look best playing a direct counter attack style, like today with Godden's chance against the post. We've been struggling when we try and maintain possession anyhow.

Our squad just isn't strong enough to be starting Allen, Shipley, Bakayko every week while they learn and adapt to the Championship. But they'll be fine for 30 minutes in a game.

View attachment 17317
Have to say that midfield looks good with them 3 together,front 3 also makes sense

Magwitch

Going down to 10 men so early too and the resulting penalty being scored was the catalyst of how this game would go, winning or even getting a point was never going to happen I’m just seeing it’s three points lost, take it on the chin, move on.

Grendel

Surely with Max & Baka on the bench when we are faced such a good high press & have no out ball we can go long to the big men ? We just don’t change it today we Should of gone long at half time

There is a time and place to play football Down to 10 at home hemmed in by such a high press wasn’t it Robins was stubborn today with changing it maybe as players on the bench were not fit enough to play that amount of time arguably

Neither them are anywhere near the level required

rob9872

At 10 we shoukd have kept our plan A and not gone to plan B imo. I called it then to remove Allen and bring Ostigard on when Rose sent off. We were always going to be struggling but better better shape and more height for set pieces which was our only realistic way back in.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

View attachment 17317

Agree. Very easy to revert back to the current shape as well, just bring one of the CMs off for Rose/McFadz in your example

shmmeee

The problem is that Godden isn’t fast or strong and since technical football is our plan A we need one of those attributes up top for plan B. At the same time we can’t just bin off Godden, he’s an intelligent striker who gets goals. When we try to partner him with one of our other sub par strikers (no opinion on Walker yet, haven’t seen enough), our 3 in midfield (one of them being O’Hare so really it’s like 2 in midfield) get overrun.

I think if we go two up you we’ve got to go Hamer Sheaf and Kelly in the middle (woaaahohh).

Paxman II

Quite like that side but for Mccallum. He was run ragid today. Whereas Giles was MOTM for us and settling in well now.
Also would need McFaz in a back three as we have attacking wingbacks. Possibly Sheaf or Kelly sacrificed for that. Anyway you try it's not easy. Then you have Shippers who plays well in that forward role behind Godden. Wish we had Jones to make it even more difficult.

TTG

----------------Kastaneer
----------Sheaf--Pask--Kelly
McCallum-----------------Hamer
--------------Dabo--Jones
-------------Giles---Walker
--------------Ryan Haynes

Duh

pusbccfc

pusbccfc

View attachment 17317

I want to see Giles where O'Hare is in this formation. He's our only bit of pace. Imagine if he could use it solely for attacking.

Users who are viewing this thread