Places where you've bumped into CCFC fans. (1 Viewer)

bishbosh

Apart from the obvious (matchdays, club shop), where have you bumped into a fellow fan that is perhaps out of context or unexpected?

Tuesday night I was at a Stone Roses concert in Auckland and next to me was a guy wearing the old brown away kit - there was not much opportunity to talk, but pointing at the badge and the thumbs up confirmed our appreciation of the Sky Blues. I know there are fans in Oz but this is the first Cov fan I have met face to face in New Zealand.

urbanbushmonkey

Met one at London Film and Comic con last year.

We were stood next to each other in the line to get photos with Jewel Staite (firefly).

Covstu

New York, a guy approached me as I had my city top on! Apparently his family was from Coventry decades ago!

Hcut PUSB

The Padre at RAF Scampton when I was based there 92-94 was a City fan.

Lol that was two of us in the service at that time then, we pretty thin on the ground or at least those that admitted to it. I was on TSW for 17 years so Cov city shirts have been worn in all countries round the world were we have been.

Fortaventura Airport in November, mid you was wearing the tour T shirt so it was a bit of a give away.

Last edited:

CovCity26

At the beach in Terrigal near Sydney in Oz wearing our old red away kit. I was surprised at first and all I can remember saying was "Nice Shirt" then kept walking.

lordsummerisle

Lol that was two of us in the service at that time then, we pretty thin on the ground or at least those that admitted to it. I was on TSW for 17 years so Cov city shirts have been worn in all countries round the world were we have been.

Fortaventura Airport in November, mid you was wearing the tour T shirt so it was a bit of a give away.

AATC myself, did meet the odd Cov fan whilst in, but not too many, seemed to know loads of Plymouth fans strangely enough whilst in.

Would have thought they'd join the Navy!

Showed my Cov shirts all over myself, strange looks at times!

There's a Rock who occasionally posts on here who I know from working at Birmingham Airport, so at least three ex-Raf on SBT.

LastGarrison

Apart from the obvious (matchdays, club shop), where have you bumped into a fellow fan that is perhaps out of context or unexpected?

Tuesday night I was at a Stone Roses concert in Auckland and next to me was a guy wearing the old brown away kit - there was not much opportunity to talk, but pointing at the badge and the thumbs up confirmed our appreciation of the Sky Blues. I know there are fans in Oz but this is the first Cov fan I have met face to face in New Zealand.

My brother and his missus flew into NZ from Oz on Tuesday morning and stumbled straight into that gig so there was at least 4 of you there!

Random places I've personally bumped into other Cov fans:

Sharm El Sheikh Airport (landing and taking off two weeks later - separate people)

Kanchanaburi, Thailand. Loads based there and one of the lads, Muzz, used to own a bar there that was adorned with Cov paraphernalia. And there's still another Thai owned bar that has a Cov flag on the wall.

Pattaya, Thailand.

Saw a lad with a Cov shirt on in Vang Vieng, Laos but I was just leaving on the bus out of there.

In the middle of a shopping centre in Sydney. A lad and his missus who used to work behind the bar in the Devon. Simon I think. (Covstu will know better).

A bird who used to go Cally and then became Old Bill when we were in Laganas, Zante. She wasn't best pleased to see us too be fair. Not sure whether she's a Cov fan though.

At Euro '04 in the Old Town in Albufeira. A lad and his son. Then a few days later when we were getting the bus up to Lisbon there was a couple of planks waiting for the next bus, one had a Cov shirt on and the other had a Soccer Am captains arm band on. :jerkit:

Not strictly a Cov fan but got chatting to a Scandanavian guy in a bar in Tallinn, Estonia and got on to football and when I said I was a Cov fan he nearly had a fit and starting chanting "Killer, Killer" for some random reason he absolutely loved Brian Kilcline!! That was random.

torchomatic

11 or 12 years ago went down to Devon and me and me Dad decided to go to see Exeter City play, this was when the brilliant Christian Roberts played for them - whatever happened to him? - anyway, I had my Brown city shirt on and the guy who was selling the hot dogs came from Coventry and was at Uni down there. That's about as exciting as this story in this thread gets, I'm afraid.

ajsccfc

International Drive in Orlando, wearing the striped shirt we got relegated in. Turned out however the guy thought I was Argentinian.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Loads on the Isle of Wight. Seems to be the ex-(Cov)-pat capital!

Steve.B50

Young Street, Toronto

Was in Toronto working and went for a walk up Young Street at the weekend out of boredom (Longest Road in World, so I am told). Was looking in some shops and a guy walked past me with a City Shirt on, walked up behind him and said "You from Coventry then?"
Typical Coventry reply was "Yes why, whats wrong with Coventry?"
We got talking and he was visiting his Brother, who I later met.

Such a small World

elephanttears

Not quite bumping in to a cov fan but when we were in Gibraltar years ago HMS Coventry was docked have a photo of me my dad and brother half way up the gangway with our cov tops on.

deanocity3

Went on holiday to spain in about 1989,walking passed the pool in my cov top,some chap starts singing lets all sing together.I turned round and it was Nicky Platnauer.
what do you say,god how on earth you won player of the year in 1984.Thought better not.Nice bloke.his bird weren't bad.

Stevearcade

In a job interview here on the South coast. Being from Birmingham, I was asked as an aside if I was a Villa fan? I scoffed and said "No! My Dad's from Coventry and so was raised a Coventry fan. Had season tickets from the age of 6 until I moved away to uni". At which point the guy interviewing me erupted, "I'm a Coventry fan!!!". At which point we talked for 20 minutes on Coventry and within 2 hours I was called and offered the job :laugh:.

Brighton Sky Blue

At a pub in St Andrews 5 years ago I was watching Hibs v Rangers on the telly. The guy on the table next to me goes 'The fans here complaining have no idea what it's like supporting crap'. So I ask him who he supports:

'Coventry City born and bred'

Didn't stop there-turned out he lived in Finham which is where I live when not at uni. Mighty small world sometimes.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I've met or seen fellow sky blues in a few places, the furthest afield being Bangkok & Rio De Janeiro.....

....I played in a 7-a-side game on the Copacabana beach with my fellow city fan whom I met in a bar the previous evening.....Our line-up also included a spurs fan, a saints fan, 2 celtic boys & a oxford utd. supporter.....

....we got absolutely murdered by the local lads about 25-4....

...we claimed that being british, we couldn't cope with playing in bare feet on the sand, and if we played on a hard-court we'd give them a better game....

...next day...we played a 5-a-side game in a basketball court & got stuffed by about the same margin....

....Turns out these Brazilians know a thing or two about footy.....who'd have thought it.:p

Users who are viewing this thread