Pictures of Cov in the past and Coventry Pubs (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

The Winnal is one pub I don't have a photo of :(. However, I can help out with the Swanswell:

Cheers for that. My mate used to serve bar here when I was 16 and as such it was the only pub I could get served in consistently. Many an evening whiled away in there. You could smoke weed in the back room too if you were nice about it.

Real

Does anybody remember The Zodiac just up from the Parsons Nose? It was a bit before my time but my Dad used to drink in there when it was run by Alan Pearson.

musicmanskyblue

Wasn't Dick's Wine Bar nearby as well? It was in the High Street.

Yeah!.. Forgot about the Wine bar... Wasn't that further down before the music shop.. The music center I think it was called..

When You mentioned the Wine bar it reminded me of the Beer Keller.. In a pub just under the Odeon Cinema.. Can't remember what it was called..

WestEndAgro

What was the black and white pub called which faced Gosford Green, before Sky Blue Way came along ? Anyone remember! Sweeney Tods barbers was next door

Samo

What was the black and white pub called which faced Gosford Green, before Sky Blue Way came along ? Anyone remember! Sweeney Tods barbers was next door

Was it the Bear?

wingy

The Smithfield, that was it! Thanks that was killing me!

Great Place to start a Friday or Saturday night ,then the Tally Ho ,then the Jag and onto one of the Clubs .

Sundays was the After noon in Canley Club ,Cards and Snooker.

Home for two or three hours then Banging the Door at the The Stag by Frettons to start again for Seven.

Samo

HH... a bit off topic even for the off topic but... do you have a picture of Barnby's Toy Shop, city centre, 60's/70's?
Or a shop called 'Oz' in the city arcade, mid 90's?

Last edited:

Samo

No you called It the Bear I called it the White Lion ,Crossbreed lead me to White bear.

BHSB just confirmed the White Lion.

A right, the White Lion then. Hmm... rings no bells at all but remember walking past it a thousand times for obvious reasons.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
HH... a bit off topic even for the off topic but... do you have a picture of Barnby's Toy Shop, city centre, 60's/70's?
Or a shop called 'Oz' in the city arcade, mid 90's?

Not off topic at all, Samo. This isn't just about pubs. (Although some of our posters can only remember pubs! Mentioning no names! ;) ) The only thing I have relating to Barnby's is this advert:

I have quite a few pics of the City Arcade but not sur if Oz is among them. I'll have a look.....

Houchens Head

Does anybody remember The Zodiac just up from the Parsons Nose? It was a bit before my time but my Dad used to drink in there when it was run by Alan Pearson.

Didn't the Zodiac used to be the Diplomat, and before that, The Turks Head?

bringbackrattles

For us poor kids our parents had to get our school uniforms etc from a shop called Benley's I think it was ?
The Lytton Tree is there now. the shop was well known but we had the piss taken out of us if other kids knew where we got our clothes from !

WestEndAgro

Vauxhall Tavern please HH, we used to meet up in there, prior to hostilities.

Hi H/H... Thank You for taking the time and trouble to do this...

I would love to see any Pictures You may have of the Climax pub by the bird cage, The Bear near broadgate and the Cross.. Used to have some great rock disco's in those places back in the 70,s..

My father kept the Nags Head in Spon End in 1960 being the last manager before it was closed prior to demolition -he then went on to manage the Bowling Green for a number of years until he passed away (actually at the pub) - his name was Albert Harrison.

Have you any photos of those two pubs ???

Houchens Head

My father kept the Nags Head in Spon End in 1960 being the last manager before it was closed prior to demolition -he then went on to manage the Bowling Green for a number of years until he passed away (actually at the pub) - his name was Albert Harrison.

Have you any photos of those two pubs ???

Happy to oblige Johnnie ;)
A couple of early pics:

wingy

For us poor kids our parents had to get our school uniforms etc from a shop called Benley's I think it was ?
The Lytton Tree is there now. the shop was well known but we had the piss taken out of us if other kids knew where we got our clothes from !

Yeah the Primark /Peacocks of their day..We had a fake leather 3 piece from there , Oh the lot of an Irish Immigrant Family,all seven of us.

Users who are viewing this thread