Pick your CCFC Has-beens XI (1 Viewer)

Esoterica

The recent links to Carlton Cole, Yakubu, Keiran Richardson, last year Joe Cole, Ramage etc got me thinking - we do seem to have loved signing has-beens over the years or players where the reality has been a long way from their reputation. Can you pick your worst has-beens XI?

torchomatic

I thought the Joe Cole signing turned out ok.

Esoterica

Think we lost some momentum as a result of fitting him into the team and bringing his fitness levels up. Also think there was a large disparity between fan expectation and what we got (even though what we got wasn't that bad). It was no Dennis Wise, that's for sure!

ajsccfc

Peter Shilton

Peter Ramage
Arjan De Zeeuw
Hermann Hreidarsson
Steve Staunton

David Prutton
Vicente Engonga
Tim Sherwood
Kevin Kilbane

Dean Holdsworth
Darren Jackson

Subs:
Andy Goram
Andy Webster
Sam Ricketts
Colin Hendry
Stephen Hunt
Darius Henderson
Marc-Antoine Fortune

torchomatic

Think we lost some momentum as a result of fitting him into the team and bringing his fitness levels up. Also think there was a large disparity between fan expectation and what we got (even though what we got wasn't that bad). It was no Dennis Wise, that's for sure!

True, but having to quote Dennis Wise shows how rare things work out well when signing players like this.

oucho

ajsccfc, soem of those weren't has-beens, they were "never-weres" !!

Colin Hendry? Lee Carlsey second time round. No Yakubu on the list either?

Hreidarsson had a very decent game early on and then just got injured.....

Gosford Green

For every Gerry Francis, Dennis Wise and Gordan Strachan we get 10 x Yakubu, Ramage and Henderson.

We even got our fair share in the glory years, Bob Latchford, Peter Barnes and Alan Brazil to name 3 who arrived with big reputations but did not really live up to them.

Gosford Green

On the pitch he struggled on the whole I thought. 1 free kick a goal on the TV and a few decent crosses is all that sticks in my mind.

But off the pitch he showed how to act appropriately , which at the time was quite important with Maddison being a complete twat, maybe some of the way Cole conducted himself rubbed off on some of the younger players.

Sbarcher

Thought JC was a major reason why we had the fall last season. We fitted him into our team and his style of play upset the successful balance we had until he arrived. Showed good touches and finesse but was too slow and methodical for the running style we had at the time.
Just my opinion mind....

ajsccfc

ajsccfc, soem of those weren't has-beens, they were "never-weres" !!

Colin Hendry? Lee Carlsey second time round. No Yakubu on the list either?

Hreidarsson had a very decent game early on and then just got injured.....

I left out any current players as all Yakubu needs to go is be well enough to tap in a Wembley winner and he's a lifetime folk hero.

If Carsley's time with us was just the second spell I'd have put him in, it's mainly just players who had passed a prime we never got to see.

AlansEyes

Peter Shilton

Peter Ramage
Arjan De Zeeuw
Hermann Hreidarsson
Steve Staunton

David Prutton
Vicente Engonga
Tim Sherwood
Kevin Kilbane

Dean Holdsworth
Darren Jackson

Subs:
Andy Goram
Andy Webster
Sam Ricketts
Colin Hendry
Stephen Hunt
Darius Henderson
Marc-Antoine Fortune
Looks good, I think it needs more Steve Walsh, though.

oucho

Would you count Jordan Stewart as a has-been?

Grendel

Sutton

Brogan De Zeuew Butcher Sansom
Hibbert M Hughes Sherwood
McCallister Barnes
Latchford

Mcallister is clearly controversial. He was a terrible underachiever first time round I thought then seemed strangely to get the Elixia of youth when going to Liverpool.

Reactions: KG7

rondog1973

Sutton

McCallister Barnes
Latchford

Mcallister is clearly controversial. He was a terrible underachiever first time round I thought then seemed strangely to get the Elixia of youth when going to Liverpool.
Not the only controversial choice of yours to my mind.

Granted, Butcher was a terrible manager, but when he played our defence at the time looked a lot more solid and he was seldom on the losing side for Cov when he made the few appearances he did.

Also thought Kenny Samson was good value for the near 2 seasons he was with us. Remember his debut in a 3-1 home victory over Man City and was very impressed with his composed experience. Was certainly a contrast to Paul 'dildo hands' Edwards anyway!

KG7

Sutton

McCallister Barnes
Latchford

Agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adge

Peter Shilton

Peter Ramage
Arjan De Zeeuw
Hermann Hreidarsson
Steve Staunton

David Prutton
Vicente Engonga
Tim Sherwood
Kevin Kilbane

Dean Holdsworth
Darren Jackson

Subs:
Andy Goram
Andy Webster
Sam Ricketts
Colin Hendry
Stephen Hunt
Darius Henderson
Marc-Antoine Fortune
Yep, don't think many would disagree with that has beens line up!

Esoterica

I thought Keith O'Neill and Julian Joachim might get mentions. Although both injury rather than age related, they were both has-beens by the time it came to pulling on sky blue shirts

stevefloyd

Peter Shilton

Peter Ramage
Arjan De Zeeuw
Hermann Hreidarsson
Steve Staunton

David Prutton
Vicente Engonga
Tim Sherwood
Kevin Kilbane

Dean Holdsworth
Darren Jackson

Subs:
Andy Goram
Andy Webster
Sam Ricketts
Colin Hendry
Stephen Hunt
Darius Henderson
Marc-Antoine Fortune
Managed by big Ron

JulianDarbyFTW

I thought Keith O'Neill and Julian Joachim might get mentions. Although both injury rather than age related, they were both has-beens by the time it came to pulling on sky blue shirts

To be fair, Joachim bagged a fair few in the last year of his contract. Sadly, he was dog plop for the first couple of years though.

pusbccfc

Joe Cole was brilliant after he became fit. The work rate was incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread