Physical media (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

How many people maintain a collection of CDs / DVDs or even VHS tapes now?

I'm trying to make some space in my house and have got a box of CDs I've not unpacked after moving 4 years ago, weird that it feels so hard just to get rid of them.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

olderskyblue

I'm trying to make some space in my house and have got a box of CDs I've not unpacked after moving 4 years ago, weird that it feels so hard just to get rid of them.

Had a clear out last year, and the kids holiday dvd’s were the only ones we wanted to keep. But… we kept the lot. No idea why, they’re not as important as my old LP’s, and carry no nostalgia value. We must just be hoarders… :ROFLMAO:

Hertsccfc

Can't bear to throw them away but have nothing to play them on now anyway. So into the loft. Crazy really but would feel wrong to chuck them.

SBT

Gave away my entire CD collection when I moved back to the UK a few years ago. Kept a few rarities and stuff I knew wasn’t on streaming services and that’s it. Still paranoid it’ll bite me in the arse one day, but realistically you’re just not using them anymore and file formats are only going to change/become obsolete at a faster rate. You won’t miss them.

TomRad85

I haven't bought a cd for many many years. Blu rays I occasionally get for things I really like. Games I'll stay physical as long a possible, although obviously I have a large digital collection too from sales or whatever.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

torchomatic

I have always continually bought vinyl, cassette, CD and even MD. Haven't really played a DVD for years. However, this week in a charity shop I got the complete 24 for a fiver, that's 49 discs. Dusted off the DVD player and have been playing them for the last few days.

Terry_dactyl

I’ve got loads of DVDs and CDs all stored away and not sure I’ll ever play them but for some reason seems wrong to throw them out…unlike my vids which I chucked out ages ago.

I’ve got friends who still buy and use CDs and have them on display in their living room.
Seems mad to me that they were only really popular for what, 20? 30 years? Madder still that it looks like Vinyl will be the thing that survives the test of time.

Sick Boy

Got a few CDs for the car and a small collection of DVDs; the only ones I watch are The Sopranos boxset. I do like the idea of physically owning something though but I’ve moved around too much to build up a decent collection of stuff.

SkyBlueSoul

Was bemoaning running out of space in my bookcase the other day and part of the problem is having my CD collection in there too. Absolutely no need them but can't comprehend throwing them away/recycling them for some reason. It's madness.

CCfC2023

I own many 1000s of CDs and DVDs .
Now is the time to buy discs this time is like the 80s when everyone got rid of 60s and 70s vinyl which we know some are worth many 100s now .every week i can regally find DVDs and cds for as low as 20p which are now selling online for £20ish .

There are also a lot of younger music fans now getting in to Cds and moving away from Spotify ect and the same with Netflix and DVDs

Ps Any Sky blues fans that have collections they want rid of drop me a PM i can offer some cash or make a donation to season ticket fund .

jimmyhillsfanclub

I have boxes of vinyl in my garage and constantly rotate them, always keeping about 50 albums next to my stereo.

I dithered about binning my CDs for a while, but for now, I keep them stacked in my workshop and rotate about a dozen discs a month in my van cos it's the only place I can play them...

If you've got storage space, keep them.

Despite the hipster interest, they're generally worth fuck all in monetary terms, but a single album or disc may, in future, lead to something priceless between you and your kids.....tangible shareable soulful nostalgia.

RegTheDonk

Not obviously convenient but still enjoy watching older 4:3 tapes/discs without having Netflix/Disney cut half the characters heads off. My shelf looks a bit more interesting than the wallpaper behind it.

covcity4life

I have loads. Wish I had never bought them now but couldn't tell the future. But yeah too sentimental to get rid too.

xcraigx

I used to sell CDs and vinyl on eBay as a living so at one point when I gave that up I had 10,000 or so CDs lying around. Occasionally we get a skip to get rid of various junk and a few more CDs exit the building.

I'll never bin off the CDs I purchased for personal use as there are plenty of bands, or tracks, I like that get forgotten about over the years so sometimes i'll have a rummage through and have my memory jogged. Listening wise, i've not had a CD player in maybe 5 years and watch / listen to everything through youtube.

ajsccfc

Books are the only thing I prefer in physical form now, still go physical for games half the time because for some reason the digital versions can be more expensive which I don't really get

Nick

Administrator
Books are the only thing I prefer in physical form now, still go physical for games half the time because for some reason the digital versions can be more expensive which I don't really get
Yeah especially if you wanted to get one from cex. Some games are on the online store for 50 but in cex for 20. No brainer.

pitts head

I had a pretty shitty cheap 90's CD player.
Have loads of CD's that I have not touched for a decade.
Just bought a new CD player and am enjoying listening to albums I have not listened to for years.
Have even started buying used CD's of Music Magpie (you can get them for a pittance).
Oh and I still buy vinyl.
But then I am a Luddite.

ProfessorbyGrace

Anyone know if Betamax players are considered valuable at all?

Users who are viewing this thread