Phillips (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I thought he had given a penalty away in the first couple of minutes, it was a bit dodgy. A bit like what happened to vincelot in the week

Del Boy 82

We have a lot of young players and yes we are making mistakes. A few games ago RCC had a couple of shockers but he played well today. Yes Phillips made a very poor error that cost us a goal and probably the game...but he will learn and hopefully improve. I thought Murphy didn't have the balls he thrives on; he needs to push t past the full back and use his speed...his control is not good enough to try and trick his way through. Armstrong seemed to switch off after we conceded and lame ire didn't impress today. I thought fleck had good first half but his touch and drive disappeared second. Bigi and tudgay did ok when they came on. Ramage ok but not a Ben turner. Stokes and rickets didn't have their best games...thought stokes would try the outside a few times but didn't seem confident enough to do it. This was possibly the worst collective performance this season (certainly at home). Hopefully the next half dozen games will see us back on track...they are all winnable on paper. The way we recover from a very disappointing week will show us all whether we have a realistic chance of promotion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A fair summary that. RCC was fairly solid at what he did. Made a few good saves. Thought ricketts was poor today and has been a while for me. Murphy was a shadow of what he can offer, terrible performance today. Fleck, a few excellent balls in the first half! Made a error with a poor touch on the lead up to there 2nd goal. Maddison a few good twists and turns to win free kicks but largely ineffective today unfortunately. Armstrong was to tightly marked tho broke free one or twice out wide. Lamires, Phillips, and stokes didn't shine today. Vincelot put himself about a bit, thought tudgay linked up play fairly well tho would of done better if bigi stopped firing the big ball up like we had a huge target man

covcity4life

I thought he had given a penalty away in the first couple of minutes, it was a bit dodgy. A bit like what happened to vincelot in the week

Yup instead of row z he blocked guy off. He's not smart enough for division 3 footy

AFCCOVENTRY

Fact is Phillips is a 4th choice right back behind Ricketts, Lorentzson, Willis...

Also he plays like a 4th choice right back. He isn't good enough for a promotion chasing team.

AFCCOVENTRY

Mogga I guess can't do much at the moment with the lack of defenders.

Martin out is a blow
Turner we sent back crocked
Lorentzson we crocked him on day 1
Reda crocked himself

Seems to be our jinx area of the team.

Otis

Mogga I guess can't do much at the moment with the lack of defenders.

Martin out is a blow
Turner we sent back crocked
Lorentzson we crocked him on day 1
Reda crocked himself

Seems to be our jinx area of the team.
Willis too.

NorthernWisdom

If we miss out on promotion, it'd be interesting to see how many points were dropped overall by goals conceded when the team played it cute in defence when they could have just cleared.

Then you'd have to also work out how many chances would have been lost by hoofing rather than passing.

I'd rather the players were encouraged to have confidence in their ability rather than be scared to settle on the ball myself, even if it does mean a few cockups.

AFCCOVENTRY

Lorentzon looks like a top defender for this league. He would make a huge difference at right back.

We need another central defender and another versatile defender who can play along the back four.

To be honest I wouldn't mind seeing Pennington back.

SlowerThanPlatt

To be fair, he is our 4th choice right back. If we had everyone fit, Lorentzson, Willis and Ricketts would all be preferred to him.

Great_Expectations

Phillips certainly seems error prone, be it directly like today or indirectly i.e. giving away a penalty.

Note of caution with Lorentzson, we seem to be pinning a lot of hope on him, but he's an unknown quantity in this league. I'm sure he will be a great signing but let's not heap piles of pressure on before he's even played a game.

chiefdave

To be fair, he is our 4th choice right back. If we had everyone fit, Lorentzson, Willis and Ricketts would all be preferred to him.

We've been unlucky with injuries in defence. Losing the likes of Reda, Turner and to a lesser extent Willis would have an impact on any team.

Otis

Phillips certainly seems error prone, be it directly like today or indirectly i.e. giving away a penalty.

Note of caution with Lorentzson, we seem to be pinning a lot of hope on him, but he's an unknown quantity in this league. I'm sure he will be a great signing but let's not heap piles of pressure on before he's even played a game.
I am basing my judgement on the fact that he surely can't be worse than Phillips! ;)

ajsccfc

Then you'd have to also work out how many chances would have been lost by hoofing rather than passing.

I'd rather the players were encouraged to have confidence in their ability rather than be scared to settle on the ball myself, even if it does mean a few cockups.

It's not so much a question of ability but decision making. The finest defenders in the world will still clear the ball if there's enough danger.

Liquid Gold

you can see why TM didn't pick him against Burton early on in the season, he must be a last resort. If none of our right backs are fit for next week I can see Stokes back in the centre Ricketts out wide and Haynes back in.

Grendel

The obvious answer if there is no alternative is to put Vincelot or Bigiamara at full back.

Otis

The obvious answer if there is no alternative is to put Vincelot or Bigiamara at full back.
Guess it would have to be Bigi, cos I think we would really miss Vincelot in the midfield big time.

Does Bigi have the discipline to play that role I wonder? Not convinced myself.

skyblueinBaku

Guess it would have to be Bigi, cos I think we would really miss Vincelot in the midfield big time.

Does Bigi have the discipline to play that role I wonder? Not convinced myself.

I'm sure that I read somewhere that Bigi has played at fullback for Toon.

Grendel

Otis

Yes I think he has. He seems an obvious choice if there is no one else.
May be worth a try then. Phillips' confidence will not at all be high after yesterday and we need to change the back four around a bit.

Wish we had another left back so Stokes could go back to the centre.

Worth a gamble on Hunt if fit?

johnwillomagic

I am not sure how far Martin is from a comeback - when he comes back things are a lot easier,
However for this game I would have gone as below.

Ricketts RB
Stokes CB
Ramage CB
Haynes LB

When Martin fit comes back in at CB and Stokes move to LB in place of Haynes - that back four should be decent
enough imo especially when Ramage gets match fit!

Bigi at Right Back......hmm not for me he is rash round the area with his tackling which is also not the best. I know
people will say the same applies to Phillips but would still have him over Bigi.

An alternative could be three at back - at mo Stokes, Ramage, Ricketts with wing backs,,,,,,Haynes enjoys wing back system
if he got fit sure Hunt could play on the other side even if not his strongest foot? I seem to remember he used to like to cut inside and shoot.

Malaka

Shame, he showed promise early on.

Needs to go out on loan IMO, aswel as Haynes.

Spot on!. He is not at this level yet, but I am prepared to give the lad another chance. A loan would do him the world of good.

johnwillomagic

I think Hunt played wing back numerous times for Reading and Wolves....? Not out and our full back but sure
he has played that role loads of time is a 3-5-2 formation??

Adge

Said it all that Mowbray took him off! Bad bad mistake and destroyed the gameplan.
Indeed! Only one who rates Phillips is his old man. Won' be anywhere near the team when everyone is fit anyway-bit like Haynes on the other side.
Don't get the "young player needs to learn" non-sense either. How long do we wait-he is now 22?

Otis

Indeed! Only one who rates Phillips is his old man. Won' be anywhere near the team when everyone is fit anyway-bit like Haynes on the other side.
Don't get the "young player needs to learn" non-sense either. How long do we wait-he is now 22?
If he needs to learn let him do it elsewhere on loan. He might come back a far better player for it.

Users who are viewing this thread