PGA Tour (1 Viewer)

tisza

Money talks. For all the posturing ultimately they wouldn't be able to withstand the financial resources of the Saudis - either in legal fees or prize monies on offer.

Bertola

The way Monahan has handled it has been disgraceful. He hid behind Rory and Tiger last year, then came out stating that there would definitely not be a merger whilst he was in control, and now anounces it in a blog post without telling any of his players.

Sad day for Golf, sad day for sport in general

Golf has progressed since LIV cam along. PGA must've been so bothered that the top stars had left they felt they needed to merge to protect from the threat.

LIV has introduced new concepts, is better for the players and allows the players to play their best. Some of it is a bit much such as the music whilst playing holes, but change was definitely needed.

n.b. I'm making no reference to their human rights record, which I don't agree with.

tisza

Golf has progressed since LIV cam along. PGA must've been so bothered that the top stars had left they felt they needed to merge to protect from the threat.

LIV has introduced new concepts, is better for the players and allows the players to play their best. Some of it is a bit much such as the music whilst playing holes, but change was definitely needed.

n.b. I'm making no reference to their human rights record, which I don't agree with.
LIV also needed PGA. Couldn't get a proper TV deal, running at a huge loss although obviously Saudi money covers it. Prize pools probably going to be watered down now with bigger fields. Think many of the new concepts will be watered down and some disappear with this new merger - no need for LIV to find differentials from what the PGA was offering.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

LIV also needed PGA. Couldn't get a proper TV deal, running at a huge loss although obviously Saudi money covers it. Prize pools probably going to be watered down now with bigger fields. Think many of the new concepts will be watered down and some disappear with this new merger - no need for LIV to find differentials from what the PGA was offering.
Yep, now there is a merger they don't need to pay the big bucks to attract players over to them from the PGA.

If anyone of those that moved to LIV complain about it then they've only got themselves to blame.

Skyblueweeman

I don't think golf has progressed at all with LIV. Before yesterday, the game has been fractured since it came along. It took some of the best players (really only 3 or 4...the rest were in the twilight of their career or relatively lower ranked players) and meant that standard PGA Tour event fields were weaker as a result. At the same time, LIV broadcasts were getting no more than 100k views on YouTube - which is free to air. Their numbers were pretty derisory.

And the concepts they brought in weren't new. Shotgun starts, no cut events, music on tees - its all been done before.

Make no mistake - this is the latest in a long line of attempts of the Saudis sportswashing. Unfortunately, its completely turned golf on its head and created so many broken relationships within the game, its a real shame.

As a proud N.Irishman, I count Rory as a hero of mine. Although at times, he does himself no favours, this last year, he's put his head above the parapet and taken so much flake for defending the PGA. For Jay Monyhan to use him like that and then do what he did yesterday, is pretty shitty.

tisza

PGA admits it couldn't afford to finance legal battles and improve purses at same time.

rob9872

It was inevitable unfortunately. Money rules and they'dve been scared of becoming as relevant the BDO darts world champion

Skyblueweeman

PGA admits it couldn't afford to finance legal battles and improve purses at same time.
I think that's a smokescreen. The most recent TV deal for the PGA was something like £1bn. Its estimated that Covid took up about £200m of cash reserves.

There's a lot more to this deal than meets the eye. Antitrust is going to be a big hurdle on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread