Petition (1 Viewer)

A fair few were.

You do realise their situation developed because they were doing exactly what i pointed out? It developed because of the money tap being turned off.

yes i do realise that, but since then its gone from a grumbling of "we need investment" "the team isnt good enough for the championship" to... "oh shit we have no home past the end of the season"

Nick

Administrator
yes i do realise that, but since then its gone from a grumbling of "we need investment" "the team isnt good enough for the championship" to... "oh shit we have no home past the end of the season"
I was on about Orient.

I don't think fit and proper owner tests could block legal action though could it?

As Dave says, the trouble they have is that they can't look into the future.

Covstu

I’ve signed it but I do agree that this is a really subjective measure. Measures from supporter to support vary so much never mind one overall ruling albeit more scrutiny is needed indeed.

here goes...

i was only trying to do something to try and highlight the dangers of crappy owners within the lower leagues, and that what ever "safeguards" the league or the FA have in place clearly does not work. some of you got my point (worded incorrectly i admit, it is my first time doing something like this) and there was one certain person who deemed it appropriate to completely piss over the bonfire and in the process throw petty insults.

we all have different opinions on what a "decent" owner should be or should not be... in my opinion if the club is stable financially, progressing on and off the field and isnt in the state that quite a few lower league teams find themselves in. others opinions may vary, i dont know... if they are then great, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

as i stated in my original post, i cannot get to games so therefore i cannot actively take part in protests and what not, purely because logistically it is nigh-on impossible for me to do so.

some of you have chosen to post that you have signed the link, some of you chose not to and that is fair enough, like i stated, i highly doubt that it will even get approved. at least i can say i tried something to improve the state of lower league football (even if it was a non starter).

some of you decided to throw shit all over it and make me think if it was even worth my time, just proving that i am right to be an introvert... but hey thats life i guess..

i will make one thing abundently clear though: i have never stated that this is purely about coventry, i do not think that coventry have the god given right to be in the championship or above.

if you want to sign it then great please do, if not then feel free to pick holes in what i have tried to do.

Captain Dart

which correct me if i am wrong.... means that their fans are a hell of a lot more happier than coventrys currently?
Sarcasm mate, I was just being a sarcastic bastard. ;)

Ps any owners fitness test applied must yield a definite yes or no answer or it can and no doubt will be challenged in court. That is why it is of little use.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I’ve made a petition – will you sign it?

Click this link to sign the petition:
Petition: Force the FA and EFL to create stricter "fit and proper" tests for new owners

My petition:

Force the FA and EFL to create stricter "fit and proper" tests for new owners

Football teams such as Coventry, Charlton, Blackpool, Leyton Orient etc have had the pleasure of being mishandled by owners. The FA and EFL don't care about what's going on in their own organisations and it's time it stopped they need a stricter criteria for owners who will benefit the club.

Blackpool, from the heights of that one famous season in the premiership to the echelons of league 2. Charlton a once proud premier League team, yo-yoing between the championship and league 1. Coventry, with their plight under sisu which could see them expeled from the football league. Just 3 examples of many lower league teams under owners who don't care about the club and what it means to communities up and down the country

I know this is probably not going to get off the ground, but I am trying a different approach considering i cant get to games due to work commitments (i work at mcdonalds so i work every weekend) so i cannot join in protests and what not... this is my way of helping and trying to make sure that what ever happens come the 5th of march (or indeed the 25th april) that other football clubs do not have to go through the same shit we have been over the past 12 odd years.. (ironically they brought the club on my birthday at the time i loved it, now on the other hand....)

As i state, i know this wont get off the ground but at least i am trying and i would appreciate the support if any of you guys can do it for me :)
Just signed. It's better than doing NOTHING.

Irish Sky Blue

There is no reason why SISU would fail a fit & proper owners test, they haven't broken any laws
Taken the club into administration as a tactic to retain control.
The owner threatening to liquidate the club if she doesn’t get her own way.
Taking the club 45 miles away from it’s home to try and distress their landlord.
Total lack of communication with fans.
Lying about lots of things, building a new stadium being one.
Alienating people in the city and the county who would normally be supportive of the club.
Losing the right to buy half of the stadium.
Stripping the infrastructure of the club to the bare bones.
Duping fans into joining in with the new stadium committee (for a stadium that was never going to happen)

Those are just a few things off the top of my head. Each individual item is perhaps not enough to declare them unfit owners ( apart from holding the club hostage in Northampton, that alone makes them unfit owners as they showed that they obviously could not care less for the club, it’s supporters or it’s community), but if you look at their “crimes” as a whole, how could anyone say that these people are fit and proper owners?
Yes, the club are reasonably self sufficient but at what cost? Look at the thread on the accounts and the debt against the club is huge which ever set of figures you believe. It is not all about finance and it is certainly not about the fact that the owner does or doesn’t chuck shedloads of money at the club. Knowing what they already knew about this shower, why did the football league hand them back the golden share at the point of administration? Surely even at that stage they could have been declared unfit owners.

NortonSkyBlue

Taking the club 45 miles away from it’s home to try and distress their landlord.
Alienating people in the city and the county who would normally be supportive of the club.
Duping fans into joining in with the new stadium committee (for a stadium that was never going to happen)

Those are just a few things off the top of my head. Each individual item is perhaps not enough to declare them unfit owners ( apart from holding the club hostage in Northampton, that alone makes them unfit owners as they showed that they obviously could not care less for the club, it’s supporters or it’s community), but if you look at their “crimes” as a whole, how could anyone say that these people are fit and proper owners?
Yes, the club are reasonably self sufficient but at what cost? Look at the thread on the accounts and the debt against the club is huge which ever set of figures you believe. It is not all about finance and it is certainly not about the fact that the owner does or doesn’t chuck shedloads of money at the club. Knowing what they already knew about this shower, why did the football league hand them back the golden share at the point of administration? Surely even at that stage they could have been declared unfit owners.
Paragons of virtue.
It seems that your fit and proper test is based on actual history rather than league position or current financial situation.
I'll go with your line of thinking. Some may think that the Sky Blues Trust is not fit for purpose but I know of another entity that i don't trust and I know is not fit for purpose.

fernandopartridge

At the point of them taking over they wouldn't fail it and still are unlikely to now. What objective measures could they include in the test that would realistically work?

Nick

Administrator
Taken the club into administration as a tactic to retain control

Which was this? Do you think any business owner would have just allowed to control adminstration and do what they want?

What infrastructure has actually been stripped? People go on about asset stripping but what has been taken?

I can't see how any of those fail the fit and proper test though. It is all from an emotional view, how do you set rules based on fans views like that?

They have to take all emotion out of it. It can't be an opinion that the fit and proper is based on, it has to be fact.

Last edited:

Covstu

here goes...

i was only trying to do something to try and highlight the dangers of crappy owners within the lower leagues, and that what ever "safeguards" the league or the FA have in place clearly does not work. some of you got my point (worded incorrectly i admit, it is my first time doing something like this) and there was one certain person who deemed it appropriate to completely piss over the bonfire and in the process throw petty insults.

we all have different opinions on what a "decent" owner should be or should not be... in my opinion if the club is stable financially, progressing on and off the field and isnt in the state that quite a few lower league teams find themselves in. others opinions may vary, i dont know... if they are then great, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

as i stated in my original post, i cannot get to games so therefore i cannot actively take part in protests and what not, purely because logistically it is nigh-on impossible for me to do so.

some of you have chosen to post that you have signed the link, some of you chose not to and that is fair enough, like i stated, i highly doubt that it will even get approved. at least i can say i tried something to improve the state of lower league football (even if it was a non starter).

some of you decided to throw shit all over it and make me think if it was even worth my time, just proving that i am right to be an introvert... but hey thats life i guess..

i will make one thing abundently clear though: i have never stated that this is purely about coventry, i do not think that coventry have the god given right to be in the championship or above.

if you want to sign it then great please do, if not then feel free to pick holes in what i have tried to do.
Don’t take it personally fella, it’s a forum! We discuss, we disagree, we vent, we take the piss.

Reactions: vow

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

based on your argument, the birmingham owner a few years ago (that thai? bloke) should have failed... he went to prison
He sold the club when he went to prison. The problem you have is once someone buys the club, how, once they do something illegal, how do you remove them? They own it, you can’t really just take it.

Whilst I agree they need stricter rules, the problem is in business you can’t really refuse a sale unless they’re barred from company directorship. Charlton’s owner just stopped funding the losses, Blackpool’s owner was taking money out of the club, I don’t know the ins and outs but aren’t company owners allowed to take the profits, same as Mike Ashley.

I suppose, first thing you could do is ban “loans” into the club from anywhere but a bank maybe?

Not sure if thats possible. Would stop loading debt against the club - ala SISU

NortonSkyBlue

Taken the club into administration as a tactic to retain control

Which was this? Do you think any business owner would have just allowed to control adminstration and do what they want?

What infrastructure has actually been stripped? People go on about asset stripping but what has been taken?

I can't see how any of those fail the fit and proper test though. It is all from an emotional view, how do you set rules based on fans views like that?

They have to take all emotion out of it. It can't be an opinion that the fit and proper is based on, it has to be fact.
It's a fact that if Sisu had taken a different route we would be in a better situation.
Taking the emotion out of it and dealing in facts, any owner that removes itself from its home city is not a fit and proper owner. It is an act of treachery to its supporters and to the city that bears its name.
It was unprecedented and unforgivable.

Nick

Administrator
He sold the club when he went to prison. The problem you have is once someone buys the club, how, once they do something illegal, how do you remove them? They own it, you can’t really just take it.

Whilst I agree they need stricter rules, the problem is in business you can’t really refuse a sale unless they’re barred from company directorship. Charlton’s owner just stopped funding the losses, Blackpool’s owner was taking money out of the club, I don’t know the ins and outs but aren’t company owners allowed to take the profits, same as Mike Ashley.

I suppose, first thing you could do is ban “loans” into the club from anywhere but a bank maybe?

Not sure if thats possible. Would stop loading debt against the club - ala SISU

That's the thing, it needs people to step back and have a look at it without emotion.

Fans are far too quick to demand money be pumped in and then just walk away without a thing if it isn't working.

There are teams in the championship relying on owners to cover tens of millions in losses. What happens if the owner doesn't want to any more? What if they run out of money?

I'd be quite happy with every club only being able to spend what it actually generates. Something stricter than ffp

Nick

Administrator
It's a fact that if Sisu had taken a different route we would be in a better situation.
Taking the emotion out of it and dealing in facts, any owner that removes itself from its home city is not a fit and proper owner. It is an act of treachery to its supporters and to the city that bears its name.
It was unprecedented and unforgivable.

Its still not grounds for the efl removing them as owners. They were the ones who approved the move.

The only way they can ever prevent it is to stop football clubs being businesses, make them some sort of not for profit charity. It is never going to happen though, it's impossible to implement. I'd love for that to happen though!

Irish Sky Blue

At the point of them taking over they wouldn't fail it and still are unlikely to now. What objective measures could they include in the test that would realistically work?
I think when they first took over everyone thought they were saviours, I certainly did. However, by the time of the administration, they had shown their true colours. Could the league have not stepped in then.

Irish Sky Blue

The list of Sisu ‘crimes’ was not opinions, they are facts. Even the judge said that the move to Northampton was simply to distress ACL. An unforgivable action.

Nick

Administrator
The list of Sisu ‘crimes’ was not opinions, they are facts. Even the judge said that the move to Northampton was simply to distress ACL. An unforgivable action.
Yes but they aren't actual crimes, which is why the efl can't do much.

For example joy threatening to liquidate the club, what proof? When was it said etc?

Do you think ACL distressing ccfc which ended up in administration which you referred to was ok and you referred to it being at attempted forced takeover?

It needs a step back and look at things from the efl point of view and not a fan.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
I think when they first took over everyone thought they were saviours, I certainly did. However, by the time of the administration, they had shown their true colours. Could the league have not stepped in then.
Stepped in to do what? You said earlier on it was trying to change the owners. The issue was that sisu had obviously predicted and planned for it.

Again, look at it from the football League point if view and not from a fan who's angry a forced takeover attempt backfired.

People need to get the idea that the football League are going to start taking clubs and handing them over to other people because the fans aren't happy out of their head.

Look at things objectively and you will see the efl really can't do much.

stevefloyd

Maybe a bit contentious here but if our esteemed owners would sort out the ground situation that they royally fucked up and invested just a bit year on year and we were a lot more stable than we are now, I am guessing there would be a lot less Shitsu out than there is now

NortonSkyBlue

Maybe a bit contentious here but if our esteemed owners would sort out the ground situation that they royally fucked up and invested just a bit year on year and we were a lot more stable than we are now, I am guessing there would be a lot less Shitsu out than there is now
It's results that dictate the aggravation level. Fans have long memories when we lose and short memories when we win.
The level of apathy is disappointing but not surprising.

chiefdave

The only way that would work is if the EFL was prepared to take on ownership of clubs. That won't happen while clubs are losing millions a year. Who would be expected to cover those losses or would the EFL run them at break even? We've seen the issues clubs like Pompey and ourselves have had when owners have tried to run them that way.

Users who are viewing this thread