Match Thread Peterborough (H) Fri 24th Sept 7.45 ko (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2477
  • Start date

Happy_Martian

SlowerThanPlatt

Stuff like this really doesn’t sit right with me, few weeks back a Boro player who was 14 at the time was charged. Education course, fine. Ban? No way

Grendel

Stuff like this really doesn’t sit right with me, few weeks back a Boro player who was 14 at the time was charged. Education course, fine. Ban? No way

it’s pathetic

SlowerThanPlatt

It’s ridiculous I agree but why don’t players wipe their social media accounts as soon as they become a professional? Would of thought agents would be telling them to do that straight away.

Yes if you were a Premier League player with the profile of the league but as a Championship/League One player you wouldn’t expect people to be bothered enough to dig up 10+ year old tweets

D

Deleted member 2477

Its part of the new cancel culture. Sado people trawling the social media accounts looking to drag up crap just to make a story or justify their own sad lives

slowpoke

Is there someone at the EFL seriously trawling through Twitter accounts going back to players childhood looking for dodgy tweets.

SkyBlueGuy

Its part of the new cancel culture. Sado people trawling the social media accounts looking to drag up crap just to make a story or justify their own sad lives

Lol. Wow, so that's what cancel culture is... Nothing to do with reprimanding a player for doing something wrong. All about woke liberals trying to make problems for people, right?

At the risk of sounding triggered, if these sorts of things go unpunished, then what message are you sending to people about their use of social media? It's fine to make racist or homophobic (or whatever) posts, so long as A) you are not famous or B) it was a long time ago? If you don't want to get a ban, be more careful about what you post. If clubs start to suffer through loss of players due to bans, maybe they will do a better job of educating their players

Grendel

Lol. Wow, so that's what cancel culture is... Nothing to do with reprimanding a player for doing something wrong. All about woke liberals trying to make problems for people, right?

At the risk of sounding triggered, if these sorts of things go unpunished, then what message are you sending to people about their use of social media? It's fine to make racist or homophobic (or whatever) posts, so long as A) you are not famous or B) it was a long time ago? If you don't want to get a ban, be more careful about what you post. If clubs start to suffer through loss of players due to bans, maybe they will do a better job of educating their players

How can a club educate a player for something he did a decade ago?

Hutch11

I grew up in a time when Alf Garnett, Love thy neighbor, Rising Damp, Jim Davidson etc etc were mainstream and basically racist.
Now at the time I like many others would have repeated what we'd heard on the weekend and had a good old laugh about it , does that mean now I should be taken to task over it?
No, with time and education I have learnt that these were awful , the connotations were awful and the blatant racism and other isms were awful.
What JCH has done is awful but how do we know if in the interim period he has not been educated to now realise his actions are not acceptable.

I think a public rebuke, an apology from the player and a clear message that these things are no longer tolerable should be enough.
However , if he was to repeat the offence , throw the book at him

SkyBlueGuy

The player will face the consequences of not having had that support/ help/ guidance at a young age. My point is that clubs should be helping to educate their players (particularly young players) about their social media use. Some may already be doing this, but there is still more work to do. Obviously they can't change what was done in the past.

Grendel

I grew up in a time when Alf Garnett, Love thy neighbor, Rising Damp, Jim Davidson etc etc were mainstream and basically racist.
Now at the time I like many others would have repeated what we'd heard on the weekend and had a good old laugh about it , does that mean now I should be taken to task over it?
No, with time and education I have learnt that these were awful , the connotations were awful and the blatant racism and other isms were awful.
What JCH has done is awful but how do we know if in the interim period he has not been educated to now realise his actions are not acceptable.

I think a public rebuke, an apology from the player and a clear message that these things are no longer tolerable should be enough.
However , if he was to repeat the offence , throw the book at him

The characterisation of Alf Garnett was to mock the Racist as was the Jack Smethurst character in Love Thy Neighbour. Jim Davidson is a different matter.

What JCH has done is awful? Really has he beat a granny up? Dear me.

SkyBlueGuy

Also, to answer the question directly, of course they can. He might be older now, but that doesn't mean they can't work with him to address the issue. They can't undo the actions of the past, but that doesn't mean he can't learn from it... Or maybe even work within the club to help others not make the same mistakes

lord_garrincha

I always maintain if you type something that you would not say to my face in a pub, then it's null & void anyway.

However, as I moved up into the 'higher ups' within local government (nowt special, mind!)... I did do a 'twitter purge'... Nothing racist or homophobic on there, just bad language and general tomfoolery that could be misconstrued.. It just aint worth the hassle.

Sky Blue Pete

The characterisation of Alf Garnett was to mock the Racist as was the Jack Smethurst character in Love Thy Neighbour. Jim Davidson is a different matter.

What JCH has done is awful? Really has he beat a granny up? Dear me.
Helps that you’ve not forgiven the club for not playing him up front and Robins not using him more. Shame we’ve been so successful without him eh? To be fair he’s been pretty successful too

TomRad85

I'd take the fine and the ban but going to an education course with some condescending little gimp would be where I'd draw the line. Just double my fine please.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

WestEndAgro

JCH only turns up for the cameras, he's looked very good when game's are televised and not so in general.
Easy home win for me, it's certainly the most winnable of our first home fixtures.
We hit the summit Friday.
Luton on the other hand is tricky.That will be a good yardstick for where we are PUSB 🇧🇼🇧🇼🇧🇼

Users who are viewing this thread