Peter Vincenti training as a ref... (1 Viewer)

east_midlands_skyblue

A group of ex and current players are training to become referees at the University if Warwick.

Referee training: Why aren't more footballers training to become refs?

Let's hope he's a better referee than player! Good to see this happening though, I think. Hope to see some ex pro footballers at (insert possible future home stadium name here) in the future.

Otis

At least he would be good at looking across the line for offsides, what with his ability to see over the top over all the players' heads.

ajsccfc

I think Chris Iwelumo would make a natural ref, he doesn't miss a thing

VuouMy5.jpg

Sky Blue Harry H

Only likely to happen with lower league players, who haven't quite got the nest eggs the PL/Championship players do.

Jcap

good to see former players stepping up to become refs, they have a much better understanding of the game than most of the drivel in the middle we've witnessed the last few years

Reactions: TTG

Adge

Fair play to him putting himself forward. Most of the "experts" in the stands wouldn't dream of taking up the whistle.

fernandopartridge

Fair play to him putting himself forward. Most of the "experts" in the stands wouldn't dream of taking up the whistle.

Tis funny hearing this from you, considering the way you deride young footballers with considerably more talent than you.

oucho

I had totally forgotten about PV despite him being on the books with us up to about 15 months ago, which shows how little impact he had for us (especially later in his season with us).

Let's hope his performances as a ref are more effective than his performances for us as a player - especially if he refs any of our games!

Seriously though, he seemed like a good bloke so I hope it works out for him.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Always good to see pros going onto this sort of things as well as the usual coaching etc.

I remember Paolo Di Canio forever questioning managerial decisions and saying how managers should listen more to the players. Until he became a manager and then said that players should do what managers tell them to do instead of questioning their decisions. Let's hope he never runs for office because he's got dictator written all over him (quite literally)

Warwickhunt

might learn the offside rule then?

Adge

Tis funny hearing this from you, considering the way you deride young footballers with considerably more talent than you.
And as expected a typical response. Fancy putting yourself forward then as Vincenti has done? Plenty of referee courses on in your area at the minute....

vow

Fair play to him, hope he does well.

oucho

And as expected a typical response. Fancy putting yourself forward then as Vincenti has done? Plenty of referee courses on in your area at the minute....

Can't speak for FP but I for one wouldn't consider putting myself forward as a ref - the main reason being the amount of name-calling and abuse that comes their way from players and fans, starting at pub team level upwards. I personally don't have the emotional solidity (or inclination) to take a load of four-letter insults from a group of ungrateful people every Saturday/Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread