Perspective? (1 Viewer)

ccfc_ukr

The BBC currently running all sorts of aritlces on the 25 years of PL. Noticed this stat about our opening game in 1992, and in light of saturdays attendance, and just thought, considering the general decline of the club, maybe not much has changed?

"A crowd of 12,681 turned up at Coventry's old Highfield Road on 15 August 1992 to watch the Sky Blues beat Middlesbrough 2-1"

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

The BBC currently running all sorts of aritlces on the 25 years of PL. Noticed this stat about our opening game in 1992, and in light of saturdays attendance, and just thought, considering the general decline of the club, maybe not much has changed?

"A crowd of 12,681 turned up at Coventry's old Highfield Road on 15 August 1992 to watch the Sky Blues beat Middlesbrough 2-1"
All premier league teams had lower gates than now

Astute

i think your missing my point.
What was your point?

Gates were low then. And a lot of it was to do with football violence. It wasn't too bad in 92 but many still didn't trust it. I wouldn't take my family and certainly wouldn't take kids of any age then. I take it you wasn't going in the 80's. So you wouldn't know how bad it got.

ccfc_ukr

my point is that 25 years ago when we were top flight we our gate was 12k when the PL started. Things obviously got "better" for a while and gates went up, naturally. However, 25 years later with not much else to shout about and now finding ourselves in the 4th tier, we still managed a crowd of 10k.

despite the massive decline we still have a core of fans who still support the team, and was interesting to see its not to dissimilar to early 90s numbers.

just a reminder that things aren't perhaps as bad as they seem, and fingers crossed they get better again, sooner rather than later.

mark82

It's not really a like for like comparison. If we were premier league now we would likely have crowds up around 25-30k. Would guess mostly round the upper end.

Limey

Slightly off track but same topic. Pompey had 18k at home v Rochdale. I think most would consider us to be very similar in size to Portsmouth.

We had 10k with a good away following.
If sisu left would we have comparable gates overnight? Or will a promotion push do it?

Users who are viewing this thread