Perhaps Andy Thorn was onto something... (1 Viewer)

JulianDarbyFTW

Just reading a BBC article about the man-mountain Akinfenwa, and came across these lines:

Akinfenwa has described teammate Cody McDonald as "the best striker in League One". McDonald, who formed a successful partnership with Akinfenwa for the Gills in 2010-11, has scored 12 goals in 28 league games this season.

I have to say, I'm not sure what to make of it. Perhaps Thorn did have a good eye when it came to McDonald, but he just couldn't get the best out of him as a manager. But then that would mean SP probably got it wrong in letting him go on a free not long after he got the manager's job. I know this subject has been (nearly) done to death, but the guy's goal record this season is half-decent, it has to be said. So was Thorn right to sign him, and Pressley wrong to let him go on a free, or is this season just an aberration?

:thinking about:

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Pressley said after pre season he may have made a mistake, as he originally planned to play a lone striker, before deciding to play 2, and released Cody on this basis.

That said, would he have got into our starting 11 ahead of Wilson and Clarke? Would he have waited until the new year to get a first team slot? I doubt it on both accounts.

He's gone, Andy's gone.

Grendel

He was signed for the championship which he was never good enough for so no.

The Gentleman

Pressley said after pre season he may have made a mistake, as he originally planned to play a lone striker, before deciding to play 2, and released Cody on this basis.

That said, would he have got into our starting 11 ahead of Wilson and Clarke? Would he have waited until the new year to get a first team slot? I doubt it on both accounts.

He's gone, Andy's gone.

So if he'd have stayed he would have been playing since Christmas until at least March when we really needed a striker and with Clarke gone possibly till the end of the season. How valuable would another goal scoring striker have been in all the recent drawn or closely lost games? For some players it is all about waiting and then taking your chance, just ask Barton

SkyBlue_Bear83

Just reading a BBC article about the man-mountain Akinfenwa, and came across these lines:

Akinfenwa has described teammate Cody McDonald as "the best striker in League One". McDonald, who formed a successful partnership with Akinfenwa for the Gills in 2010-11, has scored 12 goals in 28 league games this season.

I have to say, I'm not sure what to make of it. Perhaps Thorn did have a good eye when it came to McDonald, but he just couldn't get the best out of him as a manager. But then that would mean SP probably got it wrong in letting him go on a free not long after he got the manager's job. I know this subject has been (nearly) done to death, but the guy's goal record this season is half-decent, it has to be said. So was Thorn right to sign him, and Pressley wrong to let him go on a free, or is this season just an aberration?

:thinking about:

Pressley did say something along the lines, when he first came in he planned to play with one up front and that is why he made the decision to release Mcdonald as he didn't think he was up to playing the lone role, then in preseason when they decided to go with a 442 formation he considered changing his mind but stuck to his original decision.

Personally I'm not too bothered he was let go, if we could have forseen the future then maybe we would have kept him for the strength in depth but I don't think he offer much to the team in terms of his all round play, if he doesn't score goals.

stupot07

7 players have scored more than Cody in the league so far this season including Wilson and Clarke. He wouldn't have got in ahead of of either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

ccfclinney

I've always thought he was a decent player,
Maybe his attitude wasn't great because few managers he didn't feature in there plans including robins ..
I defiantly think he would of been an asset would prob be in the team at the minute and moussa back in the middle.. Think he might of been on high wages as well to be honest

The Gentleman

7 players have scored more than Cody in the league so far this season including Wilson and Clarke. He wouldn't have got in ahead of of either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

What about when we were playing Jordan Clarke up front? Would he have got a game for the time Wilson was out and we could have done with another striker?

stupot07

What about when we were playing Jordan Clarke up front? Would he have got a game for the time Wilson was out and we could have done with another striker?

Probably, but that's life. At the end f the day SP didn't think he would fit in the the way he wants to team to play so got rid.

The Gentleman

Probably, but that's life. At the end f the day SP didn't think he would fit in the the way he wants to team to play so got rid.

I bet though that Pressley would have regretted it when Wilson went down and then Leon handed in the transfer request. That is why it is important to have at least some cover in important positions. You cannot have all the players in your squad exactly the same, but that doesn't mean they cannot do a job for you. Take Barton the other night as an example.

stupot07

I bet though that Pressley would have regretted it when Wilson went down and then Leon handed in the transfer request. That is why it is important to have at least some cover in important positions. You cannot have all the players in your squad exactly the same, but that doesn't mean they cannot do a job for you. Take Barton the other night as an example.

Yes, but Cody signed in the championship from a PL club was probably one of the highest earners at the club, and almost certainly the highest paid striker. Not really sensible spending for a 3rd choice striker. Of anything Presley's mistake was signing Manset.

The Gentleman

Yes, but Cody signed in the championship from a PL club was probably one of the highest earners at the club, and almost certainly the highest paid striker. Not really sensible spending for a 3rd choice striker. Of anything Presley's mistake was signing Manset.

But if that not so sensible spending on one player gave us a good shot of making the playoffs because a good squad has strength in depth, would it not then become quite sensible? How many forwards do Wolves have and where are they in the league?

stupot07

But if that not so sensible spending on one player gave us a good shot of making the playoffs because a good squad has strength in depth, would it not then become quite sensible? How many forwards do Wolves have and where are they in the league?

Wolves are receiving £15m in parachute payments. Pressley wanted a small squad, Pressley didn't think he would fit the system and didn't want to spend high wages on a third choice striker, he didn't particular rate him towards the end of last season either and robins never played him.

We were right to get rid, but should have properly replaced him.

Nick

Administrator
I always thought he should have been given more of a chance, unless he had a bad attitude.

Colonel Mustard

Sounds about right. McDonald is a second-tier L1 striker - not a big loss and not somebody you can carry on the bench.

Sky Blue Sheepy

Thats a huge 'if'. I still think McDonald wouldn't have done too well in terms of high pressure game that Pressley likes so couldn't see him staying in Pressleys plans. Think Gillinghams style of play may suit him better than ours would so best of luck to him but I'll be happy with the Fonz from Villa

Gint11

He seems more comfortable at Gillingham and they get the best out of him. For me he isn't good enough and Wilson is a lot better.

Astute

Sounds about right. McDonald is a second-tier L1 striker - not a big loss and not somebody you can carry on the bench.

Not a big loss?

Where would we be in the table if we would have had a striker to play in the games where we didn't have a fit one? We all knew that we would have problems starting a season with only two strikers. And we all know that he can score goals.

The main problem is that SP didn't have much of a budget this season and had to make some hard decisions. Cody was one of them.

SkyblueBazza

Think the OP got it spot on with the comment "the guy's goal record this season is half-decent"
1/2 decent yes...the best in L1 no chance!

PUSB

hill83

He'd have been playing the last few games since Wilson has been injured, but that's about it.
Why are we still talking about him? I heard Cobi Jones is looking to get back into football.

Colonel Mustard

Not a big loss?

No. McDonald was never a gamechanger for CCFC, so it seems daft to lament him now.

Where would we be in the table if we would have had a striker to play in the games where we didn't have a fit one? We all knew that we would have problems starting a season with only two strikers. And we all know that he can score goals.

Coventry have the the second best record for goals scored in the league, but are tied for nineteenth when it comes to goals conceded. Indeed, it is only in three of 28 games that CCFC have failed to score. It is defence that has been the weak spot, not scoring.

And as for 'where we'd be', the team has been fairly consistent across the season, regardless of injuries. Chop the season so far into thirds and you'll find point averages of: 1.55, 1.88, 1.6. The problem is the 10 point deduction; if it were not for that, then the team would be in the playoff position.

The main problem is that SP didn't have much of a budget this season and had to make some hard decisions. Cody was one of them.

That is not the main problem. All lower league teams have to budget prudently, and Pressley's team has done just fine. The main problem, again, is the points deduction.

Last edited:

covcity4life

why are we obssesed with this guy?

he is a good striker, no where near as bad as grendel thinks and not as good as thorn thought

but a v good league 1 striker and a ok championship one imo

but we have wilson, so lets move on

shmmeee

People are forgetting that had McDonald been here in August, Wilson probably wouldn't have been starting, so comparing them is a bit pointless.

skyblue1991

Christ, people are still talking about him?

He wasn't good enough for us in League 1 and certainly not good enough for us in the Championship.

Past manager have seen him and seen he isn't good enough. Also think he has a bad attitude. He's gone, move on and I'm glad he doesn't play for us any more.

Astute

No. McDonald was never a gamechanger for CCFC, so it seems daft to lament him now.

Coventry have the the third best record for goals scored in the league, but are tied for eighth when it comes to goals conceded. Indeed, it is only in three of 28 games that CCFC have failed to score. It is defence that has been the weak spot, not scoring.

And as for 'where we'd be', the team has been fairly consistent across the season, regardless of injuries. Chop the season so far into thirds and you'll find point averages of: 1.55, 1.88, 1.6. The problem is the 10 point deduction; if it were not for that, then the team would be in the playoff position.

That is not the main problem. All lower league teams have to budget prudently, and Pressley's team has done just fine. The main problem, again, is the points deduction.

Remind me how many goals we have scored when having to play a 16 year old or defender up front.

How have we done since Wilson got injured? What sort of results did we get when he was injured earlier in the season? Would you like to check the previous 12 results before the Bristol game where we got a striker on loan meaning we could play higher up the pitch? IIRC we had got 14 points in the last 12 league games before Bristol. That is over a quarter of the season.

Colonel Mustard

Remind me how many goals we have scored when having to play a 16 year old or defender up front.

To repeat: we have scored in 25 out of 28 games. To put it another way: there is a 90% chance of Coventry scoring.

Second best scoring record in the league.

It doesn't matter whether we have a defender, midfielder, 16 year old, or leprechaun playing upfront - you take those statistics every single day of the week.

How have we done since Wilson got injured? What sort of results did we get when he was injured earlier in the season? Would you like to check the previous 12 results before the Bristol game where we got a striker on loan meaning we could play higher up the pitch? IIRC we had got 14 points in the last 12 league games. That is over a quarter of the season.

Irrelevant. Any objective individual would look at the second best scoring record v. the nineteenth best defence record and say, 'I think the defence is the problem.' You could make the argument that most of the goals were scored in a handful of games; but as I've already pointed out, City score in near 90% of their games. CCFC have more chance of scoring in a league game than Manchester City.

To reiterate: it is the defence costing City points, definitely not the strikeforce. Don't get lost in the narrative about striker injuries - look at the facts.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
So if he'd have stayed he would have been playing since Christmas until at least March when we really needed a striker and with Clarke gone possibly till the end of the season. How valuable would another goal scoring striker have been in all the recent drawn or closely lost games? For some players it is all about waiting and then taking your chance, just ask Barton

That was kinda my point; he'd have got games but only through injury / Clarke sulking.

However I doubt he would have hung around like Barton has, especially as he was excluded under SP last season. Even if SP had said 'I'm going to play two upfront' the early form of Clarke and Wilson would have most likely resulted in Cody thinking 'sod this, I'm off'

Users who are viewing this thread