Pearce pens new U21 deal (1 Viewer)

Coventry La La La

stuart-pearce-engl_1496962c.jpg

Stuart Pearce has signed a two-year extension to his contract as manager of the England U21 side.

The former Three Lions skipper first took the role in 2007 and has guided the Young Lions to an unprecedented three successive European Championships.

His charges reached the semi-finals in 2007, before going one better two years later as they graced the final.

Things did not go entirely to plan this summer, as England failed to make it out of the group stage, but Pearce is pleased with the progress being made by England's youngsters.

He takes as much satisfaction from the job now as he has ever done, and under his tutelage the likes James Milner, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young and Adam Johnson have gone on to earn senior recognition.

His new deal will take him through to the conclusion of next European Championship, which is set to be staged in Israel in 2013.

Continuity

Upon seeing Pearce pen fresh terms, FA chairman David Bernstein told the FA's official website: "Continuity is vital as we continue to build our club ethos, and Stuart is an important member of the England coaching structure.

"I know he was as disappointed as anyone at the U21s' most recent tournament results at the European Championships in Denmark, but we mustn't forget the team had an excellent qualifying campaign and continues to produce young players ready and prepared for senior team experience."

Pearce added:
"I am delighted to have signed my new contract and to be able to continue in a role I very much enjoy.

"In my time with the England U21s we have experienced an excellent record and my aim now is to qualify for Israel in 2013 and hopefully go on to secure silverware with another exciting group of young players.

"It remains a privilege for me to represent my country and contribute to the FA's work at international level, but also at grassroots level and significantly into the St George's Park development and to the future of coach education in England."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread