Pay cuts at Premier League clubs (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Its absolutely wrong that at a growing number of premier clubs the non playing staff are being asked to take pay cuts.
Nice of Manchester City to send a message of condolence to the family of life long city fan Eddie Large : perhaps their first team squad would each like to donate one months wages to the NHS in these difficult times.

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

What it might be showing is that despite the paper richness, due to the hugely inflated wage bills the clubs struggle with cash flow. I assume FFP doesn't stop an owner putting money in for this circumstance?

CCFCSteve

Players should be taking cuts (and asking clubs to use that for non footballing staff or to pass some down the leagues) but have been advised not to by Gordon Taylor and agents by all accounts

Me and my mate were talking earlier and both said ‘didn’t he resign ages ago’. Checked and he resigned more than a year ago but is still being paid £2m per annum and won’t leave until after an independent enquiry into the conduct of the PFA (under his stewardship)...you couldnt make it up !!!

wingy

Players should be taking cuts (and asking clubs to use that for non footballing staff or to pass some down the leagues) but have been advised not to by Gordon Taylor and agents by all accounts

Me and my mate were talking earlier and both said ‘didn’t he resign ages ago’. Checked and he resigned more than a year ago but is still being paid £2m per annum and won’t leave until after an independent enquiry into the conduct of the PFA (under his stewardship)...you couldnt make it up !!!
F***ing outrageous ain't it.
Right there what is wrong with values in society..
I'd tax him £1,999,930 and that's generous.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

What it might be showing is that despite the paper richness, due to the hugely inflated wage bills the clubs struggle with cash flow. I assume FFP doesn't stop an owner putting money in for this circumstance?

But if that's the case it just proves the business model is fucked and totally unsustainable.

CCFCSteve

F***ing outrageous ain't it.
Right there what is wrong with values in society..
I'd tax him £1,999,930 and that's generous.

I’m finding the whole stance of prem clubs and players pretty appalling at the moment. I was hoping one group of players would’ve come out by now and make the gesture of a 10-20% pay cut (then others would follow)

All we’ve got is silence from the players and clubs using the fucking furlough scheme set up to help the most needy businesses. It’s taking the piss

As Nick alludes to if they’re getting paid by sky etc then there is no excuse, pay the staff. If not, players take a cut and support either the non playing staff or clubs etc down the food chain

David O'Day

Ole big ears getting upset when people criticise footballers for being selfish

SkyBlueZack

I don’t understand the thought process of defending premier league football players. They are paid an absurd amount of money for very little work. I’m aware it’s all relative to the industry you work in. Film stars too, are paid an absurd amount of money. I just don’t get why there getting all delicate. You earn shit loads of money for part time hours, doing a job millions dream of. The country, the world is in a crisis. Suck it up that people are calling you and your employers out and step up to the mark. People up and down the country donate time and money to charities all year round. People that work full time for less money. Harries states that rashford has donated 400,000 school meals. Fair play to him. There is also a woman in wales who owns a laundrette who has no income in the current situation but is washing the uniforms of nhs staff along with volunteers. She also said if demand is there she’ll run it 24/7. She’s doing it for free. Footballers need to get out of their bubble. No there not the only ones who earn absurd money but the argument of were not the only ones is childish and pathetic.

chiefdave

I just don’t get why there getting all delicate. You earn shit loads of money for part time hours, doing a job millions dream of. The country, the world is in a crisis.
I think the point they are making is they aren't the only ones who are on large salaries but they seem to be the only ones being called out to take a cut.

Nick

Administrator
I think it's all about perspective isn't it?

It's like when you have Facebook donating and it being made to look amazing but when you work it out it's like an everyday person donating a tenner or something like that.

Especially the twats who don't pay tax anyway!

Travs

Player, and football in general, have a great life, and it would seem little to complain about.

However ranting about them taking a pay cut is wrong in my opinion... Whether or not they pay full tax, creative accounting etc, I expect most Premier players pay more in tax (supposedly funding the NHS) in a week then you or I pay in a year.

That's before the major issue that chucking money at the NHS doesn't exactly mean increased NHS performance...

What is a disgrace is teams like Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool furloughing non-playing staff and claiming it back through the government scheme.

wingy

Player, and football in general, have a great life, and it would seem little to complain about.

However ranting about them taking a pay cut is wrong in my opinion... Whether or not they pay full tax, creative accounting etc, I expect most Premier players pay more in tax (supposedly funding the NHS) in a week then you or I pay in a year.

That's before the major issue that chucking money at the NHS doesn't exactly mean increased NHS performance...

What is a disgrace is teams like Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool furloughing non-playing staff and claiming it back through the government scheme.
Sorry this simplify this.
But who is worth more?
A brain or heart surgeon or a Prem footballer
Secondly Club's have enough to run 2-3 squads
The NHS has continual staff shortages, seems the conventional laws of economics are being skewed by something here .
Over supply usually heralds lower prices/fees, while a dearth usually increases them .

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

So what if they pay more actual tax - it's to do with the proportion of tax you pay. Now compared to most of the rich I'm sure footballers pay more of their share and that the tax they avoid is more to do with letting the accountants take care of their money.

The nurses, delivery drivers, bin men etc keeping the country going now and paying, say, 20% of their wages in tax and just about getting by compared to a CEO who's paying in the equivalent of say 2% of earnings with his massive house and second home in the south of France isn't something to congratulate them on just because it's more actual money.

CCFCSteve

Liverpool have backtracked on furlough scheme (rightly so)...damage still done but better than them standing by their original decision

Covstu

Liverpool have backtracked on furlough scheme (rightly so)...damage still done but better than them standing by their original decision
Had no choice really, United and city all covered pay and they looked like greedy bastards. Spurs and Newcastle won’t give a shit though

PurpleBin

Mad how everyone jumps on Liverpool (understandably) yet no one seems arsed that the Excel centre is/was being rented to the NHS for this emergency hospital for between 2 and 3 Million quid.

Anyone here know who owns the Excel centre?

Users who are viewing this thread