Paul Telfer on Sky Blues plight... (2 Viewers)

Mo Konjic

“It makes me sad to see the situation they are in.
“City has been in free-fall for three or four years and all it needs is a bit of stability.
“Personally I won two titles at Celtic but with the team we had at Coventry, we should’ve had more success.
“I broke my leg in the game at Villa. I left the pitch and we were 2-0 up so I thought we were going to do it. Then we see Derby beat Manchester United at Old Trafford. Some things you just can’t legislate for.
“Gordon left Coventry because things didn’t go well. But he went to Southampton and got us to the cup final.
“He then went to Celtic and won the title two or three times, so he is obviously a good manager its just that group of players didn’t perform as well as we should have.”

jimmyhillsfanclub

....I see hes still got his tongue wedged up strachans arse....

....maybe he still wants one more scottish cap......so he'll have a matching pair:D

Gray

So what he is saying is that of he didn't break his leg Coventry would still be in the premiership

torchomatic

It made me sad seeing him in a City shirt. I would say one of the luckiest footballers in the history of the game. Only one person rated him, Strachan.

Nice to know he cares though.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I was there....if I remember rightly, Quinn & Willo were also in defence.....

...its amazing we only conceded 3 to be honest...

Delboycov

Never rated him particularly highly but it would be fair to say he was under rated by a lot of fans. I do remember his team mates constantly singing his praises for the work he did and I guess they were in a better position to judge than us.

Walking Bird

Strachan used to bang on constantly about his "Mental Strength" :rolleyes:

Davs

Derby manager at the time, Jim Smith is Fergie's best pal in football!! and i think it's a fair bet Sir Alex detests Mr Strachan

I must admit, given the relations between the managers involved at the time, I always thought that Derby result was very surprising, although that is not to suggest that anything underhand went on. He said, quickly, being careful in case any lawyers read this

Disorganised1

I always though Telfer underated by the City fans - a hard player who ran the beat up and down the right wing with Froggy on the left.

My favourite memory being the Boxing Day game against Arsenal.

Walking Bird

He was and will always remain your favourite player, dont try and tell me otherwise. Do you still have the Telfer shrine set up! ;)

He wasnearly my fave after he cut Boateng in half when playing Villa. About the only thing he did here apart from share a warm shower with Strachan in the early hours of the morning!

It made me sad seeing him in a City shirt. I would say one of the luckiest footballers in the history of the game. Only one person rated him, Strachan.

Nice to know he cares though.

That's a bit harsh, I thought he worked hard when he played for City maybe not the most gifted but he always put a shift in - I liked him, he has had more success than most in the game.

torchomatic

Well, doubly lucky then. Everyone has a gift, not sure what Telfer's was. Maybe he was good at golf?

I class anyone who wears a city shirt as lucky,
As we all dreamed that one day we'd do it

torchomatic

Harsh, but fair. If I was on my own in my condemnation then I would agree, but I wasn't. I would "put a shift in" but I would still be crap at football.

That's a bit harsh, I thought he worked hard when he played for City maybe not the most gifted but he always put a shift in - I liked him, he has had more success than most in the game.

valiant15

I had telfer's name and number on the back of my shirt in 98/99,partly cos i thought he was ok and a wind up for my brother in law who's a double of him!

Spencer

I always though Telfer underated by the City fans - a hard player who ran the beat up and down the right wing with Froggy on the left.

My favourite memory being the Boxing Day game against Arsenal.

Looking back now, with the benefit of hindsight and experience, I think I overrated Telfer.

When we were in the prem I used to think he was a championship or league one player at best. Now, I've witnessed them I don't think he was that good - maybe, a league two or non-league player at best?

Stevearcade

I liked Telfer a lot, still do. Some sound words there. Nice to know that former players still take an interest in what goes on here. I've heard a few things lately from old players and manager talking about the club. If only some of their wisdom and insight could be listened to by those currently in charge.

nicksig

Easy to knock him but was a decent premiership player and streets ahead of anyone we've got in midfield now. Was very hardworking and surprisingly good in the air

JHarding1987

Whilst not as technically gifted, Telfer will always be a favourite of mine. He was always available for the ball, when others around him hid when we were up against it. He sometimes lost the ball, but that was due to team mates 'hiding'. Sadly a lot of City fans didn't see this & criticized him. Thought he should have scored more though. Used to make me laugh for years after he left, that our goalie would still boot the ball out to the wing where Telfer used to be.

Colonel Mustard

Top man and underrated player. Played anywhere asked of him - usually anywhere but his strongest position (central midfield); was our best set piece taker before McAllister arrived; refused to take a wage when his leg was broken; maximum effort every outing. Every squad could do with a Telfer.

Real

Underrated. I don't mind players who want the ball, and try to make things happen, they are much more preferable to the likes of Richard Shaw who has gone down in legend at the club despite being rubbish.

Users who are viewing this thread