Pask is better than Hyam (1 Viewer)

TomS91

Need to compare them like for like in this league.

League 2 and 1 is irrelevant.
Don't agree it's irrelevant but fair enough. Still don't think Pask has proven he's better in the Championship than Hyam after 90 mins at centre half.

D

Deleted member 11652

Far too soon to say he’s better especially when neither have played in their most suitable position.

Pask deserved a go and took his chance. His shirt to lose now

Offhegoes

Didn't like Pask at wing back or right back, but he was good yesterday. With Rose & Hyam in bad form this season, there's not been many options for Robins. Drysdale has been loaned and out and has currently lost his place in the Cambridge team, and Morgan Williams has been injured, and has probably not developed as well as they thought. Hearing good reports about George Burroughs, but otherwise this area needs major surgery in the summer

junglej13

Hyam has been absolutely brilliant throughout his entire tenure at the club until probably the last couple of months. He hasn't got a great deal of pace and has been forced to play on the left hand side of the three for pretty much two seasons. Pask's pace compliments McFadzean and Ostigard. It could well be that Pask and Hyam could work well in a combination at the back in the future.

Grendel

Hyam has been absolutely brilliant throughout his entire tenure at the club until probably the last couple of months. He hasn't got a great deal of pace and has been forced to play on the left hand side of the three for pretty much two seasons. Pask's pace compliments McFadzean and Ostigard. It could well be that Pask and Hyam could work well in a combination at the back in the future.

He’s been awful from the first 20 seconds of the season. He’s not good enough at this level so needs to be released

cov donkey kick

Think he should keep his spot at hyams expense but individual mistakes all the CBs have made a lot of in most of the games this season Pask looked less likely and should improve the more games he plays in.He is out of contract I believe at the end of this season so robins will need to make a decision.

Evo1883

Don't agree it's irrelevant but fair enough. Still don't think Pask has proven he's better in the Championship than Hyam after 90 mins at centre half.
Not sure mate , I had the peterborough Sunderland game on in the background yesterday and the difference in the league is so big it kind of is irrelevant to his ability in the championship

cc84cov

Would like to see him playing on the right side , his stronger foot is the right one , I feel slightly sorry for him as he was put on the left and is now getting crucified
It’s not even just about his passing he’s slow and weak at the level

Nick

Administrator
Of course it is. Compare them on how they perform in the league we are in.

Why does it matter how he did for us in league 2?

PVA

Obviously Hyam passes with his right foot when he can, but there's no doubt the opposition make a point of closing him down and showing him onto his left foot.

His distribution is far from perfect, but he has a better pass completion rate than Ostigard and Rose, and completes more short passes per game than any other player in the squad.

Last edited:

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Played well but it’s only one game. Like to see him given a proper run in the team and after Hyam’s recent run of poor form it’s an ideal opportunity to do so.

I don’t read anything into what the youth team management said at West Ham once upon a time. They released him so obviously didn’t rate him that highly.
Didnt we buy him though

Briles

Had very little 1st team action the time hes been here and robins trusts him for our championship run in, good enough for me.

steve101

I am pleased Pask was able to play in the back 3 and his pace is certainly needed in there. However, there are a lot of very good centre backs who are not blessed with pace. They often compensate by their reading of the game. For me Hyam did not look out of place in the first quarter of the season. In fact he was one of our more reliable players. I too would like to see how he would fair on the right side. I do think he could be stronger, particularly with his heading, but that is something that can be worked on. He certainly deserves another season before being written off at this level.

DannyThomas_1981

I am pleased Pask was able to play in the back 3 and his pace is certainly needed in there. However, there are a lot of very good centre backs who are not blessed with pace. They often compensate by their reading of the game. For me Hyam did not look out of place in the first quarter of the season. In fact he was one of our more reliable players. I too would like to see how he would fair on the right side. I do think he could be stronger, particularly with his heading, but that is something that can be worked on. He certainly deserves another season before being written off at this level.

Agree with all of this.

In terms of writing players off; in various threads this season by now about 90% of our squad have been written off by the usual suspects.

Usually the player makes a mistake in a game which we then lose, within an hour the player's name appears in a thread and he's judged not to be of Champ standard by "the experts" who seem to think that every player has to be 100% in form every week - that it's unreasonable for any player to make mistakes in a dynamic game with many moving parts - and that defeats have to be blamed on individuals.

Bin him off is the conclusion amongst the loud minority who of course "always want the best for the team" whilst they deride and criticise players constantly.

What is really interesting is that the same suspects who live to criticise and deride targeted players (about 90% of the squad have been targeted this season - only Godden has escaped as he's been injured for most of it) - invariably also want to get rid of the manager after a defeat. "Bring in Jacket or Phil Neal to sort it out lads."

From my perspective, if 90% of our players are not at the standard according to the usual suspects - that must make Robins a hell of a manager as we have a decent chance of surviving this season?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 11652

Agree with all of this.

In terms of writing players off; in various threads this season by now about 90% of our squad have been written off by the usual suspects.

Usually the player makes a mistake in a game which we then lose, within an hour the player's name appears in a thread and he's judged not to be of Champ standard by "the experts" who seem to think that every player has to be 100% in form every week - that it's unreasonable for any player to make mistakes in a dynamic game with many moving parts - and that defeats have to be blamed on individuals.

Bin him off is the conclusion amongst the loud minority who of course "always want the best for the team" whilst they deride and criticise players constantly.

What is really interesting is that the same suspects who live to criticise and deride targeted players (about 90% of the squad have been targeted this season - only Godden has escaped has he's been injured for most of it) - invariably also want to get rid of the manager after a defeat. "Bring in Jacket or Phil Neal to sort it out lads."

From my perspective, if 90% of our players are not at the standard according to the usual suspects - that must make Robins a hell of a manager as we have a decent chance of surviving this season?

I would say each player has at least one person on this forum who thinks they aren’t good enough for this league (maybe ostigard aside?). There is no one on this forum who thinks 90% of our players are not up to scratch. Feel free to find someone and prove me wrong

D

Deleted member 11652

I would say each player has at least one person on this forum who thinks they aren’t good enough for this league (maybe ostigard aside?). There is no one on this forum who thinks 90% of our players are not up to scratch. Feel free to find someone and prove me wrong

For what it’s worth, I reckon we have 10 players who are too good for league one and would have no issue having them in a championship squad.

Evo1883

Basically the same when chatting to people at work or in a pub ...nobody agrees on the ability level of every single player

D

Deleted member 11652

Basically the same when chatting to people at work or in a pub ...nobody agrees on the ability level of every single player

I often see people say on here that one week a player will be quality and the next useless. People can’t seem to grasp that it’s different posters saying that.

Ccfcisparks

Good enough:
Ostigard
McCallum
Dabo
Sheaf
James
Hamer
Walker
Godden
O'Hare
Kelly

Not good enough:
Hyam
Fadz
Rose
Da Costa
Marosi
Wilson
Allen
Shipley
Jobello
Kastaneer
Biamou
Baka

D

Deleted member 11652

Good enough:
Ostigard
McCallum
Dabo
Sheaf
James
Hamer
Walker
Godden
O'Hare
Kelly

Not good enough:
Hyam
Fadz
Rose
Da Costa
Marosi
Wilson
Allen
Shipley
Jobello
Kastaneer
Biamou
Baka

And tbf Fadz, Allen, Rose, Marosi and Allen have shown they are very good league one players

DannyThomas_1981

That's fair Boosh; I was trying to say that over the course of the season that 90% of the squad has been written off by one person or another on here - right?

Although on saying that if I really wanted to try hard enough, I'm sure I could find someone on here (amongst the crazy madness of SBT after a defeat) who has individually written off 90% of the squad. :D

Users who are viewing this thread