parallel universe (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

I'll revisit this post in the morning when I'm sober and will apologise profusely if I've got the wrong end of the stick but why is everyone ignoring the state of the pitch for fucks sake!!

Absolute fucking disgrace, game shouldn't have gone ahead and definitely wouldn't of if it had been a big premiership fixture. Cost us their goal as well, well that and the fact that grimmer didn't realise that you don't go on your arse when you're playing in a swamp as much as it looks great if it comes off.

Evo1883

I think if it was a league game they would have called it off .
But I think with the small gap between legs and the small gap then until Wembley probably forced it on

Nick

Administrator
Didn't ignore it, also played a part in our shot hitting the post

Did they say much on sky?

Never seen the ball stop dead like it did before

There wasn't that much rain was there? There's been worse

Evo1883

Didn't ignore it, also played a part in our shot hitting the post

Did they say much on sky?

Never seen the ball stop dead like it did before

There wasn't that much rain was there? There's been worse

Just didn’t drain did it .
A lot in a short time on a dry pitch

clint van damme

this is like that episode of the Simpsons where that fella can see what a fuckin' waste of space Homer is but no one else gets it.

Fuck me, we had threads on the state of the pitch when it was a bit lumpy but 6 inches of water, not a thing!!

chiefdave

If it wasn't on Sky doubt they would have started the game let alone finished it. The ball was just stopping dead at certain points completely wrong footing players. Bad for any game but unacceptable for a game as big as this.

wingy

With all the GPS and local info
and it wasn't forecast looks like my BRO was right about that single Magpie this morning .

SkyBlueSid

The pitch certainly played a part in their goal. I said at half time that I was a bit concerned that we were defending the deep end in the second half.
I doubt the game would have started had it been a league game. There was standing water and the ball didn't run at all in some places. People on a refereeing website are suggesting that the referee showed weakness in being persuaded to play the game because of the TV presence. He didn't have a great day at all in my opinion.

CovKid73

Pitch was a joke - it rained but it wasn't the Amazon, noticed at HT the fork brigade were having a job sticking it in (oooo er Missus) the water was just sitting on top not soaking in. Agree played a part in their goal.

Hobo

I'll revisit this post in the morning when I'm sober and will apologise profusely if I've got the wrong end of the stick but why is everyone ignoring the state of the pitch for fucks sake!!

Absolute fucking disgrace, game shouldn't have gone ahead and definitely wouldn't of if it had been a big premiership fixture. Cost us their goal as well, well that and the fact that grimmer didn't realise that you don't go on your arse when you're playing in a swamp as much as it looks great if it comes off.

Reminded me of European tie Notts Forest v Celtic. Everyone said Forest needed to win first leg to stand a chance but it was 0-0. A massive down pour before the game left a sodden pitch. Apparently Clough looked at it just before the game, went in the dressing room and said 0-0 will do us tonight lads.

Forest went to Celtic and did them 0-1 in their own backyard.

Hobo

We are spoilt with pitches today. Anyone remember the Derby Baseball Ground mud? Or Villa Park having more sand on it than Blackpool beach?

steve82

We are spoilt with pitches today. Anyone remember the Derby Baseball Ground mud? Or Villa Park having more sand on it than Blackpool beach?

Even early premier league days in the early to mid 90’s some pitches were poor at times and were muddy states.

Ask Tim Flowers what a penalty area used to be like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hobo

Pitches used to slope too. There was a lot more to home advantage in the old days.

rupert_bear

The game should have been abandoned after about 10 minutes and had there been a serious injury the press would have been all over the referee like a rash, it could have been rearranged and played at the Ricoh next Friday and the second leg the following Monday. Also why did it seem one end was much worst than the other ? Pitch can’t be that flat.

stupot07

I don't think it should have been called off, but the pitch was awful. You don't see it in the PL as they invest in their pitches, in fact I can't remember us ever playing on a pitch like that at the Ricoh pre-wasps, which along with the general pitch state suggests wasps have really skimped on the pitch.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

Well, as promised, I've revisited this thread sober and am still really surprised there hasn't been more of a reaction to the state of the pitch, looks like i'm in the minority.

Grendel

I assume as the weather forecast was no rain they’d watered the pitch beforehand

PTA

this is like that episode of the Simpsons where that fella can see what a fuckin' waste of space Homer is but no one else gets it.

Fuck me, we had threads on the state of the pitch when it was a bit lumpy but 6 inches of water, not a thing!!
Yeah the frank grimes one. Good analogy tbf.

Legia Sky Blue

As Grendel says I think it almost certain the pitch had been watered (probably heavily) & the rain that followed took the ground staff by surprise. Having said that having watched football in the 70's I didn't think it was unsafe or unplayable. Unfortunately though it affected us more than Notts, as we generally try to keep the ball on the floor, which was difficult when you couldn't anticipate at what pace the ball would run off the surface. Our home advantage was diluted, given which I'm not too downbeat about the result.

Covstu

To be honest I left the house and took a light top, regretted it instantly when coming out of the engine! It had been forecast for Sunday then arrived about 10 hours early!

ccfcricoh

Seemed very strange as don't recall seeing the Ricoh pitch like that before, and it's definitely not the first time we've had that kind of rain.

Could the pitch invasion have anything to do with it - as the corner down by block 15 was worse, maybe it got compacted down so the water couldn't drain!

Users who are viewing this thread