Paolo: I would love some city players... (2 Viewers)

skyblu3sk

THE SKY Blues come face to face with the striker that got away tomorrow * Cov Kid James Collins.
The former Shrewsbury Town forward, who was on City's books as boy, might well have been playing against Swindon this weekend rather than trying to put one over on his home-town club had they not been restricted by a transfer embargo in the summer.

He was Andy Thorn's No.1 target and a deal was close to being done, but the 21-year-old couldn't wait any longer and Paolo Di Canio pounced.

In a strange twist of fate, he now finds himself in an embargo after the Cardinal Wiseman old boy's tribunal fee helped tip the Football League's fair play rules of clubs being allowed to only spend 65 per cent of their turnover.

The Robins drafted in ten new players in the close season as the charismatic Italian virtually replaced the team that finished as League Two champions, hell bent on achieving back-to-back promotions.

But fans might be surprised to hear that the Town boss is an admirer of the players at Mark Robins' disposal, revealing: “If I read to you seven players that Coventry have in their squad or stand out, I would have every single one. Not because I don't have good players but because I would have them for their pedigree, for their quality and their knowledge. I would have them to stretch my squad.“

Having clearly done his homework, the 44-year-old former West Ham star added: “McSheffrey 40 Premiership appearances, 266 Championship appearances; Kilbane 325 Premiership appearances, 109 national appearances; Elliott 17 Premiership appearances, 141 Championship appearances; McGoldrick 130 Championship appearances; Wood 206 Championship appearances; Bell 155 Championship appearances; Murphy 155 Championship appearances. I don't mention Cody McDonald * a talented player * I don't mention Ball.

“Now with a new manager you see they have a different discipline, you see they have won their last two games, this is the dimension.“

And just when you thought the mind games couldn't go any deeper, Di Canio suggested his high fliers are the underdogs.

“When we played Leyton Orient people forgot that there were three players on the field with over 300 games in the Championship and Premiership,“ he said; “how many have we got?
“Tommy Miller, Alan Navarro had a small experience last year, Jay McEveley.
It doesn't mean I underestimate my players but it means in one game, even if we are top, it stays 50-50.

“They have two or three players that in one moment of football can damage you.

“You can see in some situations when we are blurry those players come out and show that they are not blurry * Tommy and Jay McEveley in some way. The others, with all respect, when things go in some way don't.“

“We have already done a fantastic job without doing anything special. We have a big space to improve because we have quality to improve. I'm happy, I will work hard to improve my players.“

The chatty Roman stretched his analysis further by factoring in the new man ager effect, admitting he wished he could have played the Sky Blues a month ago.

“Since Mark Robins arrived they have won three games and he has sent a straight message because he has not changed many players.

“He maybe wants to make this team more solid and only through victories can they get the right mentality. It's not coincidence that he played for Man United.

“You can see there is a better discipline, shape, a real 4-4-2, they have knowledge.
Now he has brought in discipline, desire, a better work ethic you can see it is a different team. It's no coincidence.

“They are just over the relegation zone but before he was in charge they were in the relegation zone and then two games * boom, boom! “Like Colchester the change of manager means bringing in meritocracy and enthusiasm and that means a lot for their side.

“They come with different enthusiasm.
I wanted to meet them four weeks ago to be honest when I saw them play against Stevenage, I said I couldn't wait.

“Now I want to play anyway because we play at home, we are going to play with determination but now it's more tough * just like Colchester.

“It is three times in a row now that we have met a team that changed their man ager two weeks before and you can see the difference.

“Fortunately the last game we won * but three in a row?“

pusbccfc

Does he realise all these ex 'Prem' players are far from past it!

Astute

A lot of what he said is right. He has overexpanded on a couple of points. But if you look at our record so far this season we had a poor run under Shaw. It took a week or so for Robins to start sorting things out. Other than whilst Shaw was in charge and when Robins first took over we are undefeated. One of Robins defeats was away at Arsenal. We are not as bad as many make out. The period when Shaw was in charge could cost us dear this season.

covcity4life

great to hear,hes probably tryiong to take pressure of his own players and also let the board know he wants a bigger squad

BUT its confidence booster for our players.

Mucca Mad Boys

A lot of what he said is right. He has overexpanded on a couple of points. But if you look at our record so far this season we had a poor run under Shaw. It took a week or so for Robins to start sorting things out. Other than whilst Shaw was in charge and when Robins first took over we are undefeated. One of Robins defeats was away at Arsenal. We are not as bad as many make out. The period when Shaw was in charge could cost us dear this season.

Agreed, and to think Shaw was on the 3 man shortlist is scary, I'm hoping it was an 'insurance choice' incase no 1 accepted!

Robins > Thorn > Shaw

Robins has impressed we so far, in fact, he's showed a lot of tactical versatility so far.

hill83

I'd take it with a massive pinch of salt. The bloke, although doing well, is an entirely ego driven fascist lunatic.

It's all mind games.

BigadamL

everyday ive read something with this prat involved in it! he really is starting to do my head in. nearly as much as warnock!

Great player, good manager(so far) but a bloody big mouth!

jon_stfc

He came out with the same pre match mind games against Brighton, Stoke and Bournemouth, this is just standard Paolo. He spends weeks studying every single player, the strong points, the weak points, with a 61% win ratio it seems to have worked well so far

Covstu

he is right, we do have a decent squad in this league but it will be a very difficult game. I would take a draw as it stands but we can take all three if we play as well as we have been doing.

Chipfat

Complete and utter mind games and if he wants Macca and Bell he can ,, aslong as he gives us Mat Ritchie and Roberts in exchange... I hope Robins gets in his head tomorrow and starts to get him going because when Di canio goes mental his teams fall apart.. Still a very tough game and would be more than happy to take a 1-1 draw as we stand now....

ricohman

Why may I ask are most afraid of Swindon, I can see an easy win, they have had a wobble in this league as well as us so be confident

RichieGunns

Why may I ask are most afraid of Swindon, I can see an easy win, they have had a wobble in this league as well as us so be confident

Never call a team "Easy" and never under-estimate any of your oppersition!

By your own ommission, they've had a wobble like us so will be going out there to prove they are a good team!

Also I'd like to draw your attention to the league table...they are 4th (in the playoff places) and have 10 more points than us...

So yes I can understand why people are worried about Swindon being a threat!

But Robins wont under-estimate the oppersition and the same goes for Di'canio!

So In Robins we trust!

aodea

Oppissition manager talks up his oppents squad says he would love to have some of there quality players and his team wil;l really need to be up for the game.

This is shocking breaking news.

In fairness Swindoon will be very good. Di Canio has done a tremendous job and really seems to research things to the fonest detail. I am howver confident of getting something out of the match. Im sure Robbins is saying beating a team like Swindon will show me what you are all capable of and will push us up the table to were you deserve to be.

I just hope Bell and Mcsheffery were listening instead of texting someone.

Tad

Maybe wrong saying easy win but this team really shouldn't fear anyone in their league.

Over confidence can be a downfall though. On paper we should win, but on the night, anyone can win against anyone. All depends on the players and how motavated they are etc..

ajsccfc

He's also praised Robins' impact while at the same time knocking out quite a good Basil Brush impression:

“They are just over the relegation zone but before he was in charge they were in the relegation zone and then two games – boom, boom!

SkyBlue_Bear83

On the plus side he clearly hasn't been watching us closely if he would take Sheff, Kilbane, Wood an Bell

Either that or Di Canio is taking the mickey out of us

Sky Blues

Some of the Swindon fans think Di Canio's talking us up because his team plays better when they think they don't just have to turn up to get 3 points. I also noticed that they've dubbed McSheffrey, Kilbane, Elliott, McGoldrick, Wood, Bell and Murphy "The Magnificent Seven"!

stupot07

Some of the Swindon fans think Di Canio's talking us up because his team plays better when they think they don't just have to turn up to get 3 points. I also noticed that they've dubbed McSheffrey, Kilbane, Elliott, McGoldrick, Wood, Bell and Murphy "The Magnificent Seven"!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha they have obviously not seen them play. Only McGoldrick and Murphy have performed well this season. The upturn in results have also coincided with the ommission of Kilbane, Sheffers and Elliot, while Wood has done his best to jeopardise that upturn with his kamikaze defending and Bells been injured all season...."Magnificent Seven" feck me

@richh87

Mind games from Di Canio. Let's hope they don't work.

Must be very entertaining having him as Manager.

wingy

See he's in the media again this morning.Would like the England managers job ,Linked with Bolton in the week,Sure has a high profile.

Users who are viewing this thread