Palmer Suspension (2 Viewers)

SkyBlueCharlie9

Surely given the disgusting racist abuse he received at Sheff Weds in the FA Cup the FA could show a degree of leniency in this case under exceptional circumstances and emotional mental health grounds. I'd have the clubs lawyers have a little look at this case.

andrew.roberts

He got caught up in the heat of the moment and I think that most people understand and even endorse Kasey's reaction, but he's a professional and really should have known better regardless of all the shit he's had to go through lately.
I fully understand Otis's argument, but the rules are the rules.
Having said that, I can't help feeling really sorry for him, this season he's really worn his heart on his sleeve.

wingy

He got caught up in the heat of the moment and I think that most people understand and even endorse Kasey's reaction, but he's a professional and really should have known better regardless of all the shit he's had to go through lately.
Having said that, I can't help feeling really sorry for him, this season he's really worn his heart on his sleeve.
But if are rules nothing will ever change, is this version devoid of societal changes?

MalcSB

It still gripes with me that a player virtually kung foo kicking a player in the face is scott free and one showing passion and joining in with the celebrating gets a yellow card which means he now misses a game...what a fuckin piss take
To add insult to injury, if he had been sent off and Wolves had won, he would have been able to play in the semi final.

andrew.roberts

But if are rules nothing will ever change, is this version devoid of societal changes?
Of course changes should be made Wingy and across society in general. As others have already mentioned, almost kicking someone's head off is overlooked while a passionate response to a winning goal virtually at the end of a game which doesn't harm anyone or alter the outcome, isn't.
Many aspects of the game and its rules need to be revised, such as the wrestling matches in the six yard box every time a corner is taken.
My point was that under the current rules he committed a bookable offence, in no way does it mean I agree with the sanction.

Otis

Yeah, I'm not denying the fact it was a yellow card offence

My problem is that it was an utterly brilliant result and made the entire weekend for 10's of thousands of people, yet we are 9 pages into talking about blaming someone and how daft a player was.

I just don't understand the focus at all.

He got the yellow card, but we should all still be celebrating.

I don't think there is any criticism to be had at all, because it was a wonderful, exciting, euphoric result and I think we should excuse anyone that got caught up in the excitement of that winning goal going in, be it Palmer, or Robins.

What a fabulous goal it was to boot.

I just find it stunning that we are focusing so much time over one over-excited incident in the game, where a player let all the emotion overcome him during a most fantastic moment

andrew.roberts

You're absolutely right Otis, it was a joyous occasion and I think the reason we are still talking about it is that it's been sullied by an absolute triviality with a disproportionate consequence.
I think we're all feeling a little bit hurt on Kasey's behalf, as it looks like he's going to miss such a momentous occasion, and need to apportion blame on someone or something.

mmttww

My problem is that it was an utterly brilliant result and made the entire weekend for 10's of thousands of people, yet we are 9 pages into talking about blaming someone and how daft a player was.

mr t dancing GIF

larry_david

Truth be told, with each match in the FA cup 3-4 weeks apart, why the hell should yellow card build ups even count as a suspension? We played our first match at the start of Jan and our latest march middle of March, it's ridiculous.

Add that the other yellow he got (forget the reasons why even though it should be taken into account) was a bloody replay! so an ADDITIONAL match, is that not taken into account either? if we'd won the first game vs Sheff Wed we wouldn't have that replay where he got booked.

All of it is is complete lack of common sense. Add in that Amad can play despite being sent off is hilarious and the FA should really be challenged to show common sense. Ultimately it's embarrassing and laughable.

Liquicon

Truth be told, with each match in the FA cup 3-4 weeks apart, why the hell should yellow card build ups even count as a suspension? We played our first match at the start of Jan and our latest march middle of March, it's ridiculous.

Add that the other yellow he got (forget the reasons why even though it should be taken into account) was a bloody replay! so an ADDITIONAL match, is that not taken into account either? if we'd won the first game vs Sheff Wed we wouldn't have that replay where he got booked.

All of it is is complete lack of common sense. Add in that Amad can play despite being sent off is hilarious and the FA should really be challenged to show common sense. Ultimately it's embarrassing and laughable.
He was booked in the match at Hillsborough, not the replay.

JSL

I keep remembering the Gazza crying incident from the 1990 world cup in Italy after he got booked and would miss the final if they made it.

Last edited:

Calista

He was booked in the match at Hillsborough, not the replay.
But the replay did constitute an additional fixture for him to avoid getting booked if you know what I mean. He's been suspended from the Semi Final at Wembley for getting two bookings across 5 matches in the earlier rounds. Seems really harsh, but the rules were known in advance.

Liquicon

But the replay did constitute an additional fixture for him to avoid getting booked if you know what I mean. He's been suspended from the Semi Final at Wembley for getting two bookings across 5 matches in the earlier rounds. Seems really harsh, but the rules were known in advance.
Completely agree. Just seen a lot of misinformation about what he received the first yellow for!

The rule could have essentially meant getting two yellows across 6 matches (if 3rd and 4th round go to replays) means you're banned for a semi-final. Madness.

shmmeee

This is my point though. The rule is entering the pitch, clearly there’s discretion. Why are refs punishing it needlessly?

Sky Blue Pete

This is my point though. The rule is entering the pitch, clearly there’s discretion. Why are refs punishing it needlessly?
Running across the pitch is different to coming on to the pitch
Hence yellow for Kasey and not for the whole of the bench
Same with Chaplin

shmmeee

Running across the pitch is different to coming on to the pitch
Hence yellow for Kasey and not for the whole of the bench
Same with Chaplin

“Is different”

That right there is discretion. It’s the ref making a judgement call, cos there’s nothing in the rules about it, which means I can whinge about said judgement.

Sky Blue Pete

“Is different”

That right there is discretion. It’s the ref making a judgement call, cos there’s nothing in the rules about it, which means I can whinge about said judgement.
What is a huge shame is the consequence for Chaplin is nothing and for palmer it’s missing out playing in probably the only fa cup semi final he will ever qualify for and that’s heartbreaking
There really should be a level of maybe we should look again to something like that and I’m pretty certain they will look again because the punishment doesn’t match the action

Sky Blue Pete

What is a huge shame is the consequence for Chaplin is nothing and for palmer it’s missing out playing in probably the only fa cup semi final he will ever qualify for and that’s heartbreaking
There really should be a level of maybe we should look again to something like that and I’m pretty certain they will look again because the punishment doesn’t match the action
Not for palmer but the competition going forward I mean

David O'Day

What they should do Pete is look at why a law aimed at stopping subs and subbed players interfering with the game is being used to police celebrations. It isn't what IFAB intended it for.

Users who are viewing this thread