Palm oil destruction of forests (1 Viewer)

tommydazzle

Please sign to get this Christmas advert reshown highlighting the plight of the orangutan caused by palm oil plantations.

It's been banned for being 'political' but it's a message that needs urgent attention and should be beyond politics. Great advert for this cause.

Nearly a million signatures so far.

Sign the Petition

Last edited:

clint van damme

While petitions are lovely what about being more responsible consumers and avoiding products with palm oil in? Far more effective than a petition to nobody in particular

Good point. That's the problem nowadays, it's easy to sign an online petition and think you've contributed to solving an issue without any financial contribution or activism, (he said sat on his settee with his computer on his lap!!).

tommydazzle

While petitions are lovely what about being more responsible consumers and avoiding products with palm oil in? Far more effective than a petition to nobody in particular
Yes always trying to shop ethically - very hard to avoid palm oil though, it's in everything. The guy organising this petition is trying to do something and is meeting with the advertisers to try and reinstate the advert with the weight of a million signatures behind him. It's about education and getting the issues out there in any way you can.

Nick

Administrator
Saw something the other day that said stuff to make vegan food uses much more than Palm oil? Not sure how true.

tommydazzle

Sometimes they get round it by just calling it vegetable oil. I think vegan cheese may contain it as does most of our favourite chocolate brands.

rob9872

I'm really pleased others take things seriously as I'm sure somewhere down the line it'll be important, but is it ok in this day and age not to give a flying? Not just about this, but global warming, plastic waste, emissions and other things supposedly ruining our planet. I genuinely couldn't give less of a fcuk and I know that makes me a bad person, but I'd be lying to say different!

Otis

Palm oil is everywhere.

I suggest you all go into your cupboards and look at all your labels.

tommydazzle

I'm really pleased others take things seriously as I'm sure somewhere down the line it'll be important, but is it ok in this day and age not to give a flying? Not just about this, but global warming, plastic waste, emissions and other things supposedly ruining our planet. I genuinely couldn't give less of a fcuk and I know that makes me a bad person, but I'd be lying to say different!
I'd be genuinely ashamed to have admitted to this but I know you won't give a flying about what I think.

Otis

Just looking in my cupboards.

All these contain palm oil.

Hobnobs
Jacobs Crispbreads
Nutella
Maryland cookies
Rich Tea biscuits
Digestives

Otis

Hang on......

No, just the above, plus some sherry, some Lloyd Grossman pasta sauce, some pasta and some weird Russian shit.

Otis

Ah, just found another cupboard I didn't know we had.

Cup a Soup
Mug Shots
Bird's custard.

All have palm oil.

Colin1883

Please sign to get this Christmas advert reshown highlighting the plight of the orangutan caused by palm oil plantations.

It's been banned for being 'political' but it's a message that needs urgent attention and should be beyond politics. Great advert for this cause.

Nearly a million signatures so far.

Sign the Petition
Iceland in association with Greenpeace

fellatio_Martinez

This is pure palm oil.

SR1030x1-800x800.jpg

Marty

I didn't know this was even an issue, it's a shame the natural habitat of many animals is being destroyed for us. It's only going to get worse as the worlds population grows.

Astute

We have a milkman for one main reason. Back to having glass bottles again.

I am happy to pay more for my milk as we get it delivered. But what does piss me off is that we buy our veg loose when we can. So they charge us more quite often than when it is packaged.

Gazolba

The big question is, is there a more benign substitute for palm oil that could be produced at a comparable cost?
My guess is palm oil is produced in countries with very low labour costs.
And who can blame those countries with few other sources of income from cutting down their forests and planting lucrative crops?
The UK, most of Europe, and the USA all did the same years ago.
The UK used to be covered with forests with bears, wolves and wild boar living there.

Otis

Or just do all your shopping at Iceland, where they don't sell any products containing palm oil apart from the 200 products they have on their shelves that do.

Users who are viewing this thread